DR = Detroit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amu

Oct 4, 2010
Sooo...does it mean u r leaving too? good bye and good luck...next please.

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
I grew up in Detroit in the 60's and 70's........Been back to "visit" downtown Detroit just a little over a year ago and I walk everywhere here, Playa Chiquita to Sosua and feel safer than in Detroit....a kind hello and smile goes a long way here, in Detroit they'll take your teeth!

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
There are cities in New Jersey where I live I won't go into. I also walk everywhere in El Batey and.never feel unsafe.

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Obviously the problem of safety in the DR is not about walking in the streets, even at night. The main issue is home robberies and home invasions...

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Obviously the problem of safety in the DR is not about walking in the streets, even at night. The main issue is home robberies and home invasions...

Obviously the problem with home invasions is where your house is located. With all the home invasions do you walk around the streets where you live at night? If not maybe there is merit to being able to walk the streets at night.

Mar 1, 2009
No way, DR is nothing like Detroit. Detroit has this feeling of desolation during the times I was there. DR is still sweet.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Maybe the IMF and UN can invade Detroit.

Or carpet bomb it to protect the lives and freedom of the good people of Detroit.

I just hope they leave Tiger Stadium alone. We can still have another triple crown this year there...

vacanodr

Jun 10, 2012
Holy cow...I just realized DR is as similar to Detroit as far as crime. Check out the crime news in Detroit...
Detroit, Michigan Crime News

Armed car jackings, cops shot at, armed robberies, police taking hours to arrive,...

Well just keep in mind, all those ladrones and delincuentes in the DR are like that along with a high dr crime rate due to drugs passing through on the way to the USA where there is big money to buy drugs and flood Americans ghettos and raise crime rates. There is big time corruption and crime in Detroit and in many places in the USA. For me, I feel like I am in more danger in American dangerous places than the DR because the rap music and American thug culture tells people it is ok to commit crimes and do bad things to people and to treat people poorly and I could get robbed or killed in a Detroit without anyone even caring or calling the police or putting it in a newspaper.

In short, the DR has their problems but the USA has problems as big or bigger. The USA may not be as poor but racism, corruption, crime and all sorts of problems are present in places like Detroit and many other other USA places.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Dominican here, long time Michigan resident and have lived in different areas.

Detroit, Flint and a few other towns = way more dangerous than any Dominican town I can think of. Although the worst parts of Detroit are probably comparable to the worst parts of Santo Domingo.

Michigan in general is very safe. Small towns such as where I live see very little crime and I could do things here I would never dream of doing in The DR such as leaving my doors unlocked all the time (even when no one is home). My kids leave expensive electronics in the front seat of the cars for everyone to see and sometimes even with the doors unlocked or the windows rolled down and so far no issues. My house in The DR was broken into twice (a few years back and I wasn't there at either times). The only time I've had anything happen to me in The US was some years back I left a walkman (yes it's been SOME years) visible in my parked car in Detroit, went to work and when I returned my window had been smashed with a brick to take it.

Bottom line I feel more aware of petty crimes and home invasions in The DR, but more so of potential muggings, violent crime in cities like Detroit, Flint, Saginaw, etc.

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
Or carpet bomb it to protect the lives and freedom of the good people of Detroit.

I just hope they leave Tiger Stadium alone. We can still have another triple crown this year there...

Hate to disappoint you, but Tiger Stadium has been gone for a few years now...

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
Homes are much cheaper in Detroit than in DR

Homes are DIRT cheap in Detroit. But... the police generally do not show up when called (unless you live downtown or in the university area), city services are almost non existent, and the cheap house you buy will be your prison, unless you don't mind not being able to leave it for more than a day or two. If you do, you are very likely to find your plumbing, furnace, and other house infrastructures gone when you get back. Or, worse yet, a squatter who may be (typically are) armed and very dangerous, living in YOUR house, that you cannot remove legally without going to court.

I grew up there, I left, it is a HELL HOLE. Don't get it twisted.

Just sayin'...

DR2001

Jan 2, 2011
My son was in Detroit earlier this year with his friends for their traditional trip to see Metallica. He said that it reminded him of a city that didn't survive the seige. He said that it was actually a bit frightening to see a once industrious city now looking like a burnt out war zone. He said he will never forget those images.

vacanodr

Jun 10, 2012
Dominican here, long time Michigan resident and have lived in different areas.

Detroit, Flint and a few other towns = way more dangerous than any Dominican town I can think of. Although the worst parts of Detroit are probably comparable to the worst parts of Santo Domingo.

Michigan in general is very safe. Small towns such as where I live see very little crime and I could do things here I would never dream of doing in The DR such as leaving my doors unlocked all the time (even when no one is home). My kids leave expensive electronics in the front seat of the cars for everyone to see and sometimes even with the doors unlocked or the windows rolled down and so far no issues. My house in The DR was broken into twice (a few years back and I wasn't there at either times). The only time I've had anything happen to me in The US was some years back I left a walkman (yes it's been SOME years) visible in my parked car in Detroit, went to work and when I returned my window had been smashed with a brick to take it.

Bottom line I feel more aware of petty crimes and home invasions in The DR, but more so of potential muggings, violent crime in cities like Detroit, Flint, Saginaw, etc.

Parts of NYC and New Jersey are far more dangerous than the dr. Then you have the cultural issue. In the DR, the community and people all come together and help victims and everything. In NYC or NJ, I have seen old ladies women or children attacked and no one does anything. People from bad parts of the USA can go to the DR and they are well prepared for any crime that could occur because they see it all the time at home in the USA.

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
You are correct Lando.....never a smile to be seen and no one wants to be there but are waiting for a fairy to come and sprinkle fairy dust over the city and make it whole, rich and liveable again!

Status
Not open for further replies.