Where do you go to buy and sell things?

dalark

Aug 5, 2013
I am going to be placing an ad on DR1 in a few days for many of the duplicated and extra items coming in a shipping carton in a few weeks, so I will be posting some of the items for sale here. Is this the right thread to use and if not is there a buy and sell thread that I have missed?

I was wondering though...
where do other members go (when they have extra items laying around or are not using), to sell things (or to look for things) that are new or a little used, that could possibly be used by someone here rather than discarded.
As an example, I'll use a Jack LaLane Juicer.... (this is not an add for a juicer), just an example of something, if sitting around, you would not really like to toss it out, and could be something someone else might have a use for...

Is there anything like a Craig's List or an Ebay for Puerto Plata, Cabarete, Sosua that is "local oriented" that members have used with success. I know creating a FaceBook page is one answer but I wanted to ask all of you for feedback on what seems to work best here and now.
All feedback is much appreciated, thanks.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I would caution you against having total strangers come to your house.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you can use virtual flea market: Control de xbox, Tablet android, Blackberry 9860, Pacas de ropa, Jog artistica en la mas completa de RD - Lapulga.com.do
you can do vecino market (in sosua).
you can give stuff away here, there is a sticky in a living section.

i had few people come to my house to pick up stuff i was giving away, no problemo. but that was few items here and there, not a constant flood of strangers. if you have lots of smaller items and many potential takers you may want to advertise that everything will be available for a pickup on one day, this and that location. a bar perhaps.

dalark

Aug 5, 2013
you can use virtual flea market: Control de xbox, Tablet android, Blackberry 9860, Pacas de ropa, Jog artistica en la mas completa de RD - Lapulga.com.do
you can do vecino market (in sosua).
you can give stuff away here, there is a sticky in a living section.

i had few people come to my house to pick up stuff i was giving away, no problemo. but that was few items here and there, not a constant flood of strangers. if you have lots of smaller items and many potential takers you may want to advertise that everything will be available for a pickup on one day, this and that location. a bar perhaps.

Thanks dv8!
I'm sure I will have some items to give away also but I agree, I really do not want a bunch of strangers coming to my house....the idea of meeting at a particular place and time is a good suggestion and I don't mind traveling a bit to deliver. I actually like driving here (in the daytime) especially between Cabarete and Puerto Plata...I always see something that makes me laugh or scratch my head.

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
Jolly Roger in Sosua has a Thieves Market every other Saturday, you can rent a table really cheap and sell your stuff if you want to sell it,alot of expats look there for items from "home" they just can not live without

NYWadjet

Jan 3, 2010
There are several sites on Facebook that are just for this purpose. One example is: "Everything Cabarete! For Sale/Rent, Surf/Kite, complete random ect."

dalark

Aug 5, 2013
Thanks, NYWadjet, I use Everything Cabarete for that area and it is exactly what I am talking about....is there anything set up for the Puerto Plata area that is like that? Perhaps there are not enough expats to make it viable in this city.

Brings the question to mind....are there more expats in Cabarete/Sosua than in Puerto Plata? Or should the entire area (it's not that big) just be viewed as one large area as far as expat location demographics is concerned?

yb1

Oct 6, 2008
There are several sites on Facebook that are just for this purpose. One example is: "Everything Cabarete! For Sale/Rent, Surf/Kite, complete random ect."

There's also a FB group for south coast Bayahibe/Dominicus/La Romana. it's new so not too many members yet. "Everything Bayahibe! For Sale/Rent"