Gay storm over Punta Cana - InfernoDr cancelled

localhistorybuff

Aug 6, 2013
Edited by Robert.
Moderator rant removed. Enough, move on!

=========

On the 28th of August, tourists arriving for the world-famous black LGBT event, InfernoDR, found themselves stranded at the airport, and after having to arrange their own trasportation to the resort, they were told there were no reservations for them in the system, despite the payments/deposits made to the event coordinator, and now comes a cryptic note that the event has been cancelled or delayed. There is widespread shock & disbelief:
Developing: Inferno DR CANCELED for Labor Day Weekend*|*WhatsTheT

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 7, 2007
Well, maybe the event organizers took the money and did not pay deposits. I am sure Melia would not claim they [event organizers] failed to pay deposits if it were not true, the rebuttal could be quite easily done by proving wire transfer payments or bank account deposit slips, right? No transportation? Most likely, again, failed payment to transport company/local receptive tour operator. I don't see how this could affect DR tourism.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Looks to me like the event organizer messed up going by the Facebook page and comments, let's hope he pay's back the money.

I agree Rubio, this is no way will effect DR tourism.

localhistorybuff

Aug 6, 2013
Gay tourists comprise a not insignificant chunk of DR tourism, and given the uptick in crime as reflected by the posts on this website, we would accordingly be more predisposed to use package tours (safety in numbers), but now that a package tour/event has proved (allegedly) to be fraudulent, it will deter some from trusting other package tour/event operators, and in this economy, even a small dent will hurt business owners and tourism workers, especially those who cater to this specialized niche. If the event goers get their deposits back, it will be less damaging.

Ant

Feb 1, 2002
This is a case of an unscrupulous 'tour operator/travel agent' that absconded with their clients' money. The Melia has went above and beyond to try and make sure that those who showed up have a great time. In spite of being ripped off. This will not affect DR tourism in the least.