home invasion

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Hi, I just met another person who experienced a home invasion that happened at his place (La Mulata I a few months ago...) How many of you experienced that kind of violence... And how did you deal with it... I'm namely asking cause I chose not to live gated...

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Enter... robbed ... in the search feature. You will find several threads and hope some tips for you and your friend.

jkc

Jun 24, 2013
Hi, I just met another person who experienced a home invasion that happened at his place (La Mulata I a few months ago...) How many of you experienced that kind of violence... And how did you deal with it... I'm namely asking cause I chose not to live gated...

yOU GUYS NEED GUNS, MAN! Otherwise, why leave in a country like that and risk death?

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
If you don't want to experience that, avoid La Mulata at ANY COST !!!

La Mulata has a history of problems but it is not just in La Mulata. It appears that the general area of Sosua has had an increase in crime and gated or not does not stop the intruders.

I'm sure that other areas of the Dominican Republic have experienced increased crime also. Sosua has a large number of Xpats that posts here on DR1 so, IMO, we get more posts for this area.

Bigocean

Nov 25, 2010

I have lived about twenty years now in Santiago, married with two kids, and I have never experienced any type of violence or have I ever know anyone who has ever had this type of experience while I have lived here. Also, we are very active, outside of our house almost every day in exercising, school events, park trips, visiting friends, beaches or mountains for the weekends, etc. so it we are very exposed to everyday life. I am sure violent events happen, but you need to keep a sense of perspective.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I have lived about twenty years now in Santiago, married with two kids, and I have never experienced any type of violence or have I ever know anyone who has ever had this type of experience while I have lived here. Also, we are very active, outside of our house almost every day in exercising, school events, park trips, visiting friends, beaches or mountains for the weekends, etc. so it we are very exposed to everyday life. I am sure violent events happen, but you need to keep a sense of perspective.

No kidding. I have 15+yrs in Santo Domingo and never a single issue.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Haven't been here that long and though nothing big has happened, other than some crackhead stealing the wheel caps from my car, I've heard many many stories.

That's the problem often, in the in total 8 years living in SD I haven't experienced any violence either and crime only limited to petty theft from my car (laptop, lamp). But I have heard many stories as well, that give the impression Santo Domingo is a very unsafe city.

Last week I was without a car for a day and had to pick up a check at a client who has his office not that far from my house, so I decided to walk. I didn't feel too safe doing that, having heard about robberies in plain daylight two blocks away from my house. But I don't have any experience justifying that 'fear'.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
20+ years in Santo Domingo and nothing (knock on wood) other than someone stole one of my potted plants. With that said have I changed how I live my life here now opposed to some years back, YES. Places I would have gone and visited friends, etc..I don't go there anymore because of the area. Don't go out at night as much as I had in the past. More cautious about letting people know where I live, etc...But this happens almost everywhere.

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
My Rottweiler just had 11 pups and they will stop all home invasions. People know the dogs are here and they will yell for us to chain them up before they will come on the property. I live out in the countryside for over 10 years and no one has came on the property without my permitting it.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
No kidding. I have 15+yrs in Santo Domingo and never a single issue.

Yeah. The most prevalent problem of invasion of any type here is when some families build cabins in a terrain belonging to the state (usually near riverbeds), or build and settle in lands belonging to an absentee owner.