1st timers in DR - Christmas Vacation

dashelter

Sep 1, 2013
Hello,
We are a family of 4 leaving in Florida: 2 adults and 2 kids aged 11 and 13.
We are planning a trip for the first time into the DR and planning on staying in Santo Domingo.
Our trip will be about a 13-day trip in December.

We want to visit main attractions and are more into nature, culture, sightseeing, mountain environments, historical places and a little bit of the beach. We live on the beach in Florida. So main purpose of our trip is not sunbathing or beachgoing, but rather to explore history, customs, culture, main sites and attractions, trips to the mountains...etc.

With that in mind, we'd like to visit, while in Santo Domingo, the following (perhaps day trips):
- Jarabacoa & Constanza areas
- La Romana area
- Samana area

Questions here:
1) Do you suggest we rent a vehicle while in Santo Domingo to visit the above areas or do we get Caribe Tour for the day trips or stays above?
2) We also want to take a tour/excursion to Cap Haitien to visit La Citatel, Palais Sans-Souci and other historical place in Cap Haitian.We can spend 1 night in Cap Haitien if need be at Habitation Jouissant or Hotel Mont Joli.
What is the best organized tour from Santo Domingo to Cap Haitien or transportation from Santo Domingo to Cap Haitien?
3) In Cap Haitien, what is a reliable an affordable tour guide to take us around to visit the historical places therewhen in Cap haitien?
4) Can you help us with an itinerary that will be outlined from December 20 - January 1 with some must-sees and must-dos when in the DR?

Many thanks for all your help.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I could advise you about the north coast area around Cabarete/Sosua/Puerto Plata, but have little "love" for the capital. I think 2 days in Santo Domingo will have you wanting more, but that could just be me.

Caribe Tours and METRO Bus are two good ways to get around the island if they take you to where to go.

I have live on the island for 10 years full time and not once cared to visit Haiti, others can help with that.

nina23

Oct 31, 2008
Hello

in my opinion and experience you can't do all it in 13 days even if you rent a car. You have chosen too many places in totally opposite directions and on top of that I would not recommend you to keep your base in sto domingo, all the trips you've mentioned are not day trips you would end up loosing your time.Myself I would stay 2 or 3 days in Sto Domingo as it has many cultural places to see then rent a car (if you feel ok to drive here and avoiding driving as soon as it gets dark) to go to jarabacoa , constanza,pyramids ( map here :http://www.dominicana.cc/dop_maps/dominicana_relieff.jpg
and Dominican Republic maps for Garmin GPS - Browse free tracks | Dominicana.CC) then go to montecristi with a stop in punta rucia (maybe Punta Rucia better on the way back to have a rest after Haiti I know a nice place where to stay with kids) and then to Dajabon to go to Haiti ( can't help with Haiti I only stopped in Dajabon)and if you have some time left go to Samana peninsula or stop before in Rio San Juan then go back to Sto Domingo via the autopista.It is a long trip not in kms but in driving hours if you want this to be a nice experience take it easy, if not you won't see much and won't meet the locals don't plan too much in advance you might want to stay longer in some places and you will always find a place where to sleep, we always did and with a family of 4 as well.There are many other trips to make in this country I have just tried to respect your itinerary.

Hope it can help you
Enjoy have fun

Dec 26, 2011
Narrow it down to two of the three day trips you are considering and leave Haiti for another trip. Everything takes longer in RD.

dashelter

Sep 1, 2013
Well, we always wanted to visit Cap Haitien. My grandparents are originally from Haiti. I was born in the US and wanted my wife and kids to have a glimpse of my roots by visiting Cap Haitien with them while in DR.
In DR, what should we cut out to make time for maybe 2 days/1 night in Cap Haitien?

Thanks for all your help.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I would cut out Santo Domingo, but since you are not interested in beach places, then cut out Samana.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If you want Haiti, flying in to Pto Plata will be closer then you can work your way around to StoDomingo.

Best if you fly in POP, out SDQ or vice versa..... prolly too late for flights

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Recommend you book your hotels asap as Christmas is peak tourist season and many hotels require a minimum number of nights.

dashelter

Sep 1, 2013
If you want Haiti, flying in to Pto Plata will be closer then you can work your way around to StoDomingo.

Best if you fly in POP, out SDQ or vice versa..... prolly too late for flights

So, in this case, what would be a good itinerary, since only way to Haiti via ground is with Caribe Tours that leave from Sto Domingo?
Are you suggesting we do:
Puerto Plata, Jarabacoa & Constanza, La Romana, Sto Domingo then onto Cap haitien and back to Sto Domingo to fly back to Florida?

Please outline a good itinerary.
Appreciate all your help!!!!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
OOOpppps... thought you were driving.....

POP, rent a car and do your Haiti visit....
Return either via the same north route or after touring Haiti and exiting south to SD..

It's an ambitious itinerary you have.... might call for more than one visit

First of all congratulations for your visit for Christmas vacation. You should hire a cab for comfortable journey. There are many places to visit in DR. You must see there the Museum of the Casas Reales, Santo Domingo Greenbelt park, the Catedral Santa Mar?a La Menor buildind and Museum of Alc?zar. These places will cover all the areas of your interest like education, history, entertainment and culture of DR.