the prices of medicine to go up

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008
What a surprise (not), everything goes up, thanks for the warning, will try and get some extras of what we need next week!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
this reflects the price of a dollar, rise in minimum salary and higher costs of production.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
43 to 1 is not exactly "approaching 50 to 1" :) this is what i have been telling my mom who keeps on saying i am nearing forty ever since my 31st birthday :laugh::laugh::laugh:

but even assuming the dollar goes down or stays stable thanks to banco central we can be sure the prices will not go down at all. and that's an issue. already there has been lots of arguments in regards to the coverage of the medicine. now not only most of medicine is not covered but your coverage in general gets you less: the prices are up but ambulatory limits are the same...

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Prices are going up... Fine but I think it has a side effect on the increase of violence. Governement should also take this into account

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
How sad is that! The prices are going up on the medicines that are most needed by the poor.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the poor can still use farmacias del pueblo, prices are really low there. but this is affecting many. there are less farmacias del pueblo than normal pharmacies. so those who cannot afford normal prices and might be pushed to use government pharmacies may be in deep s**t now, unable to purchase the medicine because they cannot pay the transport to the nearest farmacia del pueblo.

then traditional pharmacies with higher prices will sell less and may have to reduce the staff. so in order to cut corners they may be tempted to supply from clandestine medicine labs selling fake drugs. and fake drugs kill people. in addition to all that the government regulates the competition by putting a minimum margin of products sold in the pharmacy so you cannot lower the prices and recuperate the money by selling bulk.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Where can I find a "public pharmacy" or farmacia del pueblo in Puerto Plata ??

Am I allowed to buy medicine in these pharmacies since I'm not Dominican ??

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there is one in a public hospital. also another one in UASD, entering cafemba (towards costambar). you can shop there to your hearts delight. i was told few times that you need a prescription from the hospital but there is a poster here who says it's not the case. try it out and report.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Morning, I know for a fact that at least 50% of the cost of prescription medicine is because the laboratories 'Visititadore de Medico' bribe Doctors. Up to about 3 years ago it was done via direct kickbacks depending on how much a doctor prescribed their drug. Then because of the huge fines that had to be paid they now sponsor "seminars" to all the best DR resorts and trips to Spain and the US all expenses paid which are theoretically 'seminars' but are exactly what Pfizer paid a gigantic fine for what they did in China.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
This is what I was referring to:The US leading drug maker Pfizer Inc. will pay total $60.2 million to settle a federal investigation on alleged bribing overseas doctors and other health officials to prescribe medicines.

*The US Securities and Exchange Commission announced that the company will pay a $45 million fine to resolve charges of bribery in more than a dozen countries in Asia and Eastern Europe.

Separately, Pfizer agreed to pay another $15 million under the deal with the Justice Department to settle similar charges, although it neither admitted to nor denied the allegations.

The investigators revealed that Pfizer provided rewards programs for prescribing its medicines. For example, Pfizer’s subsidiary in Croatia rewarded physicians with cash and international trips. Meanwhile Pfizer’s China branch created a points program which allowed doctors to purchase gifts such as cellphones and tea sets in exchange for points earned from prescribing Pfizer drugs.

According to the court papers, Pfizer employees tried to hide the bribes by recording them in account books as legitimate business expenses for travel, entertainment and marketing. However, the investigators praised Pfizer cooperation with the government’s investigation since 2004 when it first disclosed the wrongdoing to the SEC and Justice Department.

The US authorities are currently probing the sales and marketing practices of major pharmaceutical makers in other countries. Last year, Johnson & Johnson agreed to pay $70 million after admitting it had bribed European doctors to boost sales.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am all for bashing pharma demons but this is not the case. it was mostly domestic meds that went up in price and i do not think they have that much of a budget set up for bribes. not that they do not give any, of course.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
I would certainly bow the inimitable Dv8 that domestic meds are a lesser impact. But I know that a mid size foreign company has so far this year sent groups of doctors to Boston, Napa Valley/San Francisco/San Diego California with a November schedule for Austria & Philadelphia. All expenses paid. The people of the DR are who pays for this.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
hell yes. this goes on on a large scale all over the world. but i think dominican pharma companies are still relatively small and new. they also organize offers and meetings but probably the costs of such "promotion" does not really come into play when setting new price lists. i have seen them do a trip to the factory combined with the presentation of the product and a dinner with all the chuletas you can eat :) probably the biggest influence is costs of production and distribution.