The worse thing about Cabarete is...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i cannot go into the water. this is not a relaxing beach where you can float in the shallow water drinking a beer. i do not swim well and those waves do not encourage me to go in. as such, cabarete beach is completely useless to me.

and driving, god help. tragic.

Dec 21, 2008
I have a few....
Driving through the town...it's a nightmare...althought there are no parking signs on one side of the road...well, you know where I am going with this one

The price of food and beverages...just gouging anyone who wants to spend time on the beach having a nice meal...

and last but not least.......

The beach vendors....they just can't seem to understand when you tell them no thank you...even when you are eating a meal...

I don't like the place and I dont' like going there...there are so many other nice beaches...why waste your time there!

Just my humble opinion...I know there are those that love the place and that is ok too!

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
The drug dealers that work with politur on the strip at night.. If one of the dealers ****es off the wrong politur, the next tourist gets roped with the dealer because a lot of tourists don't understand the gravity of drug use in the DR. My business partner from Toronto was about 2 seconds away from trying to score some weed from one of these dealers until thank God he told me about it and I stopped him. It is obvious they work with politur because they are peddling their crap about 10 feet away from politur.

Just wanted to add the last time I saw this was in April so unsure if things have changed.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The drug dealers that work with politur on the strip at night.. If one of the dealers ****es off the wrong politur, the next tourist gets roped with the dealer because a lot of tourists don't understand the gravity of drug use in the DR. My business partner from Toronto was about 2 seconds away from trying to score some weed from one of these dealers until thank God he told me about it and I stopped him. It is obvious they work with politur because they are peddling their crap about 10 feet away from politur.

Just wanted to add the last time I saw this was in April so unsure if things have changed.

You live here and did not school a business partner about ZERO TOLERANCE, not impressed.
Only a moron buys drugs on the beach from a stranger.
Weed on Cabarete beach is probably 85% pizza oregano, LOL.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I have a confession: I sell rolled up peppermint leave joints on the beach as hydroponic home grown weed...which, of course, it kind of is. It tastes like mint flavored tobacco, only better, because it wards off mosquitoes, dengue Fever, vampires, and chlamydia.

Frank

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
.....only the weekends are busy expect for the high season. Drunk young kids pretending to be old enough to drink in their home counrty. Overpriced! Mosquitos! Cocky expats who trash Sosua while scoring chicas that just left Sosua! Hahaa

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Driving through the town...it's a nightmare...althought there are no parking signs on one side of the road...well, you know where I am going with this one

The price of food and beverages...just gouging anyone who wants to spend time on the beach having a nice meal...

and last but not least.......

The beach vendors....they just can't seem to understand when you tell them no thank you...even when you are eating a meal...

I know there are those that love the place and that is ok too!

I drive through the town several times most days, and it's usually no problem.

Beach prices - shop around a bit! In one restaurant (don't want to advertise) you can get chicken wings and fries, chicken burritos or a big ham and egg salad, plus a Bohemia beer for 200 pesos - if you can eat during the 5-7pm happy hour.

Vendors seem to be the same on all DR beaches as far as I have seen - just be firm!

But then I'm one of the people who love Cabarete!

santiagodude

Nov 25, 2012
I took some Dominican friends from Santiago to Cabarete for their first time ever.
They enjoyed it so much they missed the last bus back to Santiago and had to find a long distance carro back, late at night ( I had a room :) ).
By the way, they returned the next day too.

So, in response to the OP question, leaving (for some people).

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Lots of petty theft, parking, traffic and the vendors.....and yes the price of food is crazy at most places.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
The girl that works at Janet's Super Mercado ( extremely large mangos) turned me down for a date,.... twice !! If you have been there you know who I'M talking about.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The girl that works at Janet's Super Mercado ( extremely large mangos) turned me down for a date,.... twice !! If you have been there you know who I'M talking about.

....by the way, they're real, and they're spectacular.

[video=youtube;BL2PicT9Kng]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL2PicT9Kng[/video]

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

i see you need consolation. here:

34pdtsk.gif

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The worst thing about Cabarete is that I have to go there to get the best haircut on the island... 45 min drive

Yara, across from Frankie G and Papi's...... EXCELLENT

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Ok, The worse things about Cabarete are these:

1. People bring sand to the beach while they're on vacation.
2. People try and act normal, moral, and sane while on vacation.
3. Sankies get the best looking girls from Hummingbird (down the Callejon de la Loma).
4. They make the best drinks in the DR on the beach at a place called Mojitos, and have the audacity to charge you for it!
5. They have the best Tex Mex in DR and also have the audacity to charge you for it.
6. They have the best Sushi restaurant anywhere outside Santo Domingo, and again, have the audacity to charge you for fish--which is in abundance!
7. They have one of the best boutique hotels anywhere in the DR (Millennium hotel), and charge you to sleep there.

I'll think of more later.

Frank