underground cocaine lab discovered in san cristobal

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
really, san cristobal seems like an epicenter of all trouble: 10 year old pregnant girl, cholera outbreak and now first ever cocaine lab in DR...

Por primera vez, autoridades encuentran laboratorio clandestino para?procesamiento de?coca?na en el pa?s - Hoy Digital
Polic?a Nacional desmantela laboratorio subterr?neo de drogas - DiarioLibre.com

the police discovered the lab, liquid cocaine and chemicals used in a process of production. it seems like the whole thing took place in the middle of nowhere yet they had few functioning microwaves (also needed in the production). :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
two colombians were arrested (owners of the land). but processing coke is not necessarily a colombian thing. the same is done everywhere where cocaine is produced: bolivia, equador, peru. clandestine labs are set in the the middle of a campo, jungle, forest, whatever.

here is a short video from the series drugs, inc.:

[video=youtube;ETGDPlcE-NE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETGDPlcE-NE[/video]

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
what is strange is that the production itself has been done here. this is not only the first for DR bit also for this part of the caribbean. so now it is not only cocaine that is smuggled through DR but raw product as well. because i do not think coca plants are here?

jkc

Jun 24, 2013
really, san cristobal seems like an epicenter of all trouble: 10 year old pregnant girl, cholera outbreak and now first ever cocaine lab in DR...

Por primera vez, autoridades encuentran laboratorio clandestino para*procesamiento de*coca?na en el pa?s - Hoy Digital
Polic?a Nacional desmantela laboratorio subterr?neo de drogas - DiarioLibre.com

the police discovered the lab, liquid cocaine and chemicals used in a process of production. it seems like the whole thing took place in the middle of nowhere yet they had few functioning microwaves (also needed in the production). :)

Well, now it seems Colombia has turned the key to Mexico and Mexico is passing to HAITI AND DR? Governance is a big problem in these States

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i wonder what does it mean to the border control and the police? i have never seen a coca plant, a quick image search tells me, however, that dry leaves look kind of like bay laurel (used for cooking). i wonder whether they smell like cocaine? that is, could a dog trained in tracing coke identify leaves as well? or any raw product? (in the clip above the first production scene is forming coke balls from what looks like white mud). how is this going to affect the war on drugs in DR?

or are coca plants brought to grow in DR? i guess the mountain area is suitable for this crop? would dominican police recognize the plant?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
oh, and wiki says the leaves smell like tea. so i guess it is nothing police dogs would recognize?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
As per the latest UN World Drug Report, 156,900 hectares of coca yields potentially 292,430 metric tons of dry coca leaf, from which 984 metric tons of cocaine can be potentially produced. Ignoring that these are educated guesses, they are still rough because yields are different across production sites.

But anyway,

1 hectare gets you 1.864 metric tons of dry coca leaf.

1 metric ton of dry coca leaf gets you 0.0034 metric tons of cocaine.

297 grams of dry coca leaf will give you 1 gram of cocaine.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
how does it translate to DR, windeguy? what is the potential growing area, assuming we are talking about mountains, right? even in the south america map the areas of extensive cultivation are not so big.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
a well trained drug dog will discover coca leaves...

problem... there are no well trained drug dogs here...

nor rescue dogs, etc...

a dog taken from the rescue shelter won't hack it... it needs a lot of training, time, and yes, well, money...

BelgianK

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
no, belgian. i meant whether the dog already trained in tracing cocaine as a product will also be able to sniff out the leaves, which smell differently. or it would have to be re-trained? or totally new dogs would be need to be trained?

i managed to find a long article listing cocaine making process step by step. a fascinating read. i think that all products used in that process are quite easily obtainable in DR too. anyways, apparently the leaves themselves are never transported anywhere as it is not cost effective. what will be moved is coca paste (this clay like white putty from the start of the video). i am not sure what it smells like as various chemicals are added to it, mainly kerosene. so i am guessing it does not really smell like cocaine either.

consider this round won by gangsta team. the police will now have to come with different strategies of fighting drug trade.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
do not underestimate the nose of a dog...
what smells completely different to us, he/she will be able to get the essential ingredients out of it...

of course... those dogs do not come cheap...

to give you a comparison... people here expect a good security dog for 8k pesos...

Let me make you the bill... la cuenta...

- puppy... in Belgium 32k for low quality (which you cannot use)... here 6k for a high quality one ( cost to the owners.... extra food for mommy dog, extra food for puppies, vacinations, deworming, all the work, risk to the mom, risk of losing a number of pups... in other words not even worth it)
- training of the puppy... you have to put in a couple of hours per day, for 6 months or more (depending on the level the owners want)... 2 hours at 500rds per hour, at 30 days per month, for 6 months = 180,000rds
- quality food as it is a working dog... 1800rds per month x 6 = 10.8k rds
- retraining the dog for the owner... 30 trainings at 2.5k per training = 75k rds

total here is around 270k rds... and that is bloody cheap...

This is solely for a well-trained security dog for a house, not the police or the army, and nothing fancy as search and rescue, bombs, narcotics, etc...

So, just imagine what they would cost...

BelgianK

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
a well trained drug dog will discover coca leaves...

problem... there are no well trained drug dogs here...

nor rescue dogs, etc...

a dog taken from the rescue shelter won't hack it... it needs a lot of training, time, and yes, well, money...

BelgianK

I thought that did have trained dogs given to them by the US DEA.. do not know where I got that info.. but thought that they were working with them at the Punta Cana airport and were important in some big heist. I could be wrong.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i know i have seen dogs at the airport in santiago prior to my flight to bogota and then again upon return. i presumed they were drug sniffing dogs. german shepherd lookalikes. very sweet too, so maybe not exactly trained. they let me pet them and even give them a hug (yes, i am one of those morons who will approach a cute little doggie in all circumstances).

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
well, if they were attacked to a cop, I would assume that they were drug sniffing hounds!! I do hope that you asked permission of their person before hugging them? One is never to touch a dog on a leash without asking permission.. of course it is a free dog.. then it between you and the dog.. and if there are free dogs.. just roaming the airport.. well that is odd..

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
oh, and wiki says the leaves smell like tea. so i guess it is nothing police dogs would recognize?

grapes are not wine, coca trees/leaves is not cocaine.....

most likey they were "refining" "imported" coca paste- not the "grapes" (leaves).

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
no, MA, dog was walking with the police. sniffing people. when i was being sniffed i asked if i could pet the doggie. it was a young dog still. it liked being petted. a hug followed on the account of general cuteness :)