Do the dominicans always scr.w the gringos. Answer is definitely no

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Here is a story which happened to me a few days ago. My car works with gasolina and propane. But for some
reasons it only drives fine with propane. On gasolina, it hardly starts. AND, the levels dont work. That means I never know if I'm gonna run out of propane. So I must be extra careful and fill the propane tank quite often,
before it gets empty, otherwise I'm stuck in the streets. Well, thats what happened to me. No more fuc...
propane. And I am stuck on the street in front of the Orange Store (Sosua). Seeing that I'm in trouble, a guy
comes and says I should go to La Bomba and ask if someone could tow my car until Terragas. So I get to La
Bomba and explain the problem to a gasolina server. He says wait and disappears in the office. Then he comes back and tells me to wait a bit more. Then he comes back with a quite long hair guy. All of them are dominicans.The long hair guy says he can take my car to Terragas, no problem. At that moment, I know I should ask him
about the price. But I dont really dare as I really need help. We jump into his truck, which is a complete wreck
but still works fine. We get to my car and we use a rope to tow my car. We drive very slowly but the light rope
breaks all the time. And soon, the rope doesn't exist any more. Then a guy comes and gives us a metal cable. Itell him I'll bring it back. He says ok no problemo. With the cable, we finally get to Terragas. The guy who helped me waits, saying he wants to check if my car starts. And it does. But of course, as a gringo, I think to myself, he mostly waits to get money. So I quit my car and get back to him. I thank him very much and ask for the
precio. And guess what, he tells me I want nothing. I just wanted to help because you were in trouble.
So I'm quite surprised. I tell no, that I want to give him at least something, maybe for his family. I insist... And he keeps refusing saying he just wanted to help and would never take any money when helping...
BTW, all this is of course written without any kind of disrespect towards the dominicans...

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
I think most Dominicans are like this. But we get targeted enough that we get cynical over time. It's always good when we get reminded of the reality.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks for posting. I have had many positive experiences during the years I have lived here. I really don't find any difference between people, Dominican or otherwise.

As far as feeling we are being taken advantage of, same thing happens elsewhere. I've lived in several tourist areas in the US and know visitors often treated much different than locals.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Your injectors may be clogged from lack of use, or the ignition bypass for the propane keeps the EFI system shut down.

There should be a toggle switch between the propane system & gasoline system.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Something like that happened to me when I stranded on the highway near Bonao and it was getting dark. A guy was around and stayed with me 'while it was not safe' and in the end towed me to Bonao to have my vehicle serviced (he stayed at least 3 hours with me), didn't want any money. I did give him 1000 pesos though. He still calls me now and then to tell me to come with my family to 'un balneario' in Bonao. (Which I haven't done though). He told me he is ashamed if so many Dominicans trying to defraud others (foreigners) and wants to make a difference.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
It's pouring with rain and a friend asks me to drop his chica at the bomba so I oblige.
The battery on my car suddenly gives up as I pull up to drop her off.
I always carry jump cables and a rudimentary kit in my car and have helped many others to get going again, always for free of course but when I ask for a jump start using my cables I'm met with serious negativity.Either no reply or 'it'll damage my car' so I finally have to pay 300 pesos for a jump start.

At this point , the chica I've kindly dropped off and who I don't know at all, starts badgering me for money as well!!

Great night. Very wet.
Another time I fix a guys starter solenoid lying on my back under the car in the rain. He starts the car and drives off with no word of thanks .....................and my good screwdriver..
Every good deed has it's own punishment..

Autopista Duarte; my car decides to throw it's water out and boil up so I pull over and some kind gent comes out. He brings me a few gallons of water and charges me 350....

I have more, but no good ones.......

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
It's pouring with rain and a friend asks me to drop his chica at the bomba so I oblige.
The battery on my car suddenly gives up as I pull up to drop her off.
I always carry jump cables and a rudimentary kit in my car and have helped many others to get going again, always for free of course but when I ask for a jump start using my cables I'm met with serious negativity.Either no reply or 'it'll damage my car' so I finally have to pay 300 pesos for a jump start.

At this point , the chica I've kindly dropped off and who I don't know at all, starts badgering me for money as well!!

Great night. Very wet.
Another time I fix a guys starter solenoid lying on my back under the car in the rain. He starts the car and drives off with no word of thanks .....................and my good screwdriver..
Every good deed has it's own punishment..

Autopista Duarte; my car decides to throw it's water out and boil up so I pull over and some kind gent comes out. He brings me a few gallons of water and charges me 350....

I have more, but no good ones.......

The one with the battery: That might be true, I have jumped cars with my 2002 montero, but when I get a newer vehicle I am not jumping cars anymore either.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I know that this is supposed to be the case but I have just not found it to be true.

Take today, for example.

My sister is arriving for a visit tomorrow, so my cleaning lady showed up and cleaned the house again as a gift. She ususally comes on Thursday. But she was coming from another job that I had gotten for her with another gringo.

And she wanted to thank me.. for the confidence that I had shown in her.

She would not let me pay her.

Sep 4, 2012
I once ran out of gas in the highway, it was on December 24th; this motoconcho gay approached me and offered me to go to the nearest gas station and get some gas for me, which he did. I gave him 1000 DOP and I still remember the look on his eyes. As we chatted, he had mentioned he was let go of the construction site he was working at and had nothing for his family for that noche buena.

He was so grateful, as he kept looking at the bill, continually asking me if I wanted it back because all he did was to help a fellow human being.

I wished him a Feliz Navidad and offered my sincere thanks. Told him we needed more people like him in this universe.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
3 years ago, my SUV broke down coming back from Bahia de Las aguilas (where I almost broke it to pieces). I had taken a wrong turn and instead of taking the road to Barahona I ended up in the road to Tamayo. Anyway, the already damaged car broke down completely in a rather isolated patch of land. It was me and two young ladies, so I was really worried about what would happen. It was about 11am. Two guys on a scooter passed by and turned around. This is it, I thought, we're getting robbed. The guys looked around and asked me if I needed any help. I told them I needed a mechanic but I wasn't going anywhere while leaving the girls there, and I wasn't going to allow any of the girls go alone either. So they talked to each other a little bit and one of the guys decided to stay with us while the other went off to get a mechanic. I asked why he stayed behind, and he said we were in the middle of a very dangerous zone, where many of the "fishermen" who picked up "packages" from the sea came to negotiate with the "packages" owners, if you know what I mean. So if we stayed there alone we would be easy targets. I told him I had a gun (which I didn't). Sure enough, several pasolas and cars full of mean looking guys stopped by, but the guy who stayed with us came to meet them quickly and told them we were with him, so they all drove away. Long story short, we were stranded until about 11pm, and both guys stayed with us the whole time. I didn't have much cash (I had already spent the withdrawal limit from ATM due to the problems of the day before in bahia de las aguilas), so I was worried they were going to be disappointed if I only offered them 200 pesos each. But they wouldn't take even that. They said I didn't have to pay them because they were just trying to make sure we didn't have any problems while in their town. One of them even invited me to his house in Pescaderia (Barahona) for a future trip. I went a few months later. Best lobster I've ever eaten.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Bad idea IMO. Glad nothing happened afterwards.

Yeah, it normally is a bad idea. But I had no choice, and I needed to deter any unarmed group of two or more that might have felt like raping the girls or something. I knew a gun (which I didn't have) would be of no use against an armed thug, but I had to take that 50% against the rest.

DOC1727

Aug 30, 2011
Yeah, it normally is a bad idea. But I had no choice, and I needed to deter any unarmed group of two or more that might have felt like raping the girls or something. I knew a gun (which I didn't have) would be of no use against an armed thug, but I had to take that 50% against the rest.

The muzzle of a gun pretty much says "go away" in any language and in any country. The element of surprise is always an advantage and you should never disclose but, not being able to do anything is absurd.

I always say this so it is boring to most but we have had non stop help from Dominicans! Way more than any Canadian would ever give!!
I don't know if this is a small town thing b/c we live in a small town now or a Dominican thing or both?!
I could go on and on about the MANY times we have been helped in only 8 months but i will spare you all...
Come to think of it we have help in big Cities too...
If you are an ass I'm sure you will get what you deserve! Disgusts me how some people treat the Dominican/Haitian people!

Mar 1, 2009
Dominican people are very friendly, we have always been this way. Why even all the way back since 1492 we've been super nice. It's the foreigners that bring in the bad habits and try to scr&w us.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I've told this story before, but in my juvenile, demented mind, its worth repeating over and over for the moral of the story.

In 2006 i had a 2003 Suzuki GSXR1000 in pristine condition that i bought for US $4,000. That should have been the first red flag. I had an Austrian father son team that i raced around the island with. No, we weren't in any actual "sanctioned" races...you know, with a race track and all. The island is our race track. Always has been.

I was living in Bonao at the time. I drove up to Puerto Plata on the weekends to meet the race "team." They also owned two 2004 Suzuki GSXR 1000's. I was waiting on the Malecon for them. I walked across the street to the ocean side to take some pictures of the stature before it got stolen. When i came back to my bike, three grown, overweight, obese Dominican men were standing around my bike. they had badges around their necks, with G2 written on their jackets. They asked me for my papers. I smiled politely and took them out and handed to them. They asked me for the "Aduana" (Customs) papers. I didn't have it. They told me to give me the ignition key, get on the back of a scooter that they were driving, and follow them to their "Office" where they would presumably check that everything was in order. Convinced that i had all my papers in order, i obliged.

So, there we were--me sitting on the back of a scooter with my ass hanging off the back, and two grown men sitting in front of me, crushing a scooter--thre three of us weighed way over 600lbs. I alone weigh 195lbs. We were all craning our necks, trying to look out in front at my motorcycle being driven by a third obese guy. I took a picture of it with my cell phone while we drove through Puerto Plata. I still have it somewhere. It was absurd. But, of course, absurdity is part of everyday lexicon and life down here. So, i just went with the flow. I had a "get out of jail free" card on me if i felt in danger or felt that i needed it for any reason.

10 minutes later we're pulling up to a three story apartment building directly across the street from the Prison in Puerto Plata (it's on the outskirts of the city). Two guys are pushing my motorcycle into the living room of an apartment. I walk in and am introduced to a variety of G2 officers and prostitutes that are hanging out on plastic lawn chairs and a beat up sofa that looks like its been purchased at a garage sale in downtown LA (lower Alabama).

The chief looks at my papers and asks for the "Aduana" paper. I tell him that it must be back in Bonao. He says that the motorcycle will have to stay there until next week when he can verify if the Aduana has been paid. I ask him if there is not some other solution to the problem? He says no. I say, ok, excuse me while i make a call. I walk into their kitchen and call my cousin--who happens to be my "Get out of motorcycle jail free card." It's Saturday and he is apparently at the river with his family and friends drinking rum. he doesn't answer. This is not good. He always answers when i call. This means he's either drunk, swimming, having sex, or all three.

Ok, plan B. I Call my other cousin. He is about as close to a get out of jail free card as the first cousin, but he lacks the necessary titles to scare anyone initially, but can make a few quick phone calls and accomplish whatever he wants. The phone rings and rings. No answer. Guess what, it's Saturday, which means he's either at the river with our cousin, up in the mountains at his second home with his girlfriend, in santo domingo at his other home with a different girlfriend, at a Cabana with another girlfriend, or at home with his wife trying to get out of the house in order to go meet one of his ten girlfriends.

Ok, plan C. I call my other cousin who is a gynecologist in Bonao. He's got some pull with women, maybe he can help with police. I explain to him the story, he asks to speak to the chief; i hand the chief my phone. The chief laughs, nods up and down, laughs some more, and then hands my phone back to me. My cousin tells me to hand him some money and be on my way. Ok, that's easy. I had a lot of money on me. I was planning a three day motorcycle trip, so i brought probably too much money with me...because, let's face it, you never know when you are going to run into an absurd situation or emergency in the DR.

I hang up the phone, and ask the chief how much he wants? He laughs, then laughs some more, then says come back on Monday. I don't want to come back on monday. I got friends waiting on me. I got a motorcycle trip waiting on me. I got races to do, and people to frighten to death--namely myself. I call my cousin back, and explain the situation. he asks to speak to the chief again. I hand him the phone. he laughs, he nods his head up and down, and then he hands me the phone back. My cousin says to me---and i quote, "You idiot. did you just offer him money in front of everyone in the room?"
"Yes."
"Dumbass, go outside and offer him the money privately, quietly. How stupid are you?"
"Very."
"I know."

I hang up the phone and ask the chief if i can speak to him in "Private." Sure. we walk into a bedroom--which has two army cots inside and is very, very cramped; were standing no more then 4 inches away from each other--facing each other--almost kissing; were trying to maneuver a little in order to give each other some breathing room. This is a scene straight out of "Midnight Express." i pull out some money and offer it to him. He laughs and refuses it. I pull out more money, he laughs and tells me to come back on Monday and pats me on the shoulder. I don't want to come back on monday, i have people waiting on me.

We go back out into the living room where there are, i don't know, maybe 7 or 8 people--both men and prostitutes (you got to love the DR), all hanging around like a bunch of burnouts who just skipped school and our waiting until 3pm before they can emerge from their parents basement and start walking around outside. A G2 officer says to me that both they and the girls are thirsty. Ok, for what?
"Beer."
ok, i hand the girls some money and they run off and buy some beer and phone cards for themselves. 15 minutes later, the G2 cop says they are thirsty again. Ok, i hand them some more money. They run off and buy more beer. Meanwhile, i've called my first and closest cousin a millions times without any answer. He's either passed out, sleeping, out of the country, or dead! But he's my only hope of getting out of their before Monday.

Inside, the beer is flowing, the girls are laughing, a few are dancing and showing everyone their boobs (my money is going to good use: sexual debauchery of the finest kind), i'm getting drunk--i can't handle alcohol. I don't really drink. Now the G2 are getting drunk, everyone is laughing. it's high school all over again! It's an impromptu party at someone's else expense. Perfect. An orgy is going to break out at any moment...at my expense. Oh well, I got to pee. I excuse myself and go to the toilet. There is no toilet seat. Good. I can just pee without thinking about lifting any seat up. A girl walks in and is giving me a reach around and asking if i want anything. I politely decline. I have gonorrhea and i don't want to give it to her yet. She's seems like a nice girl. But she's not taking no for an answer. i politely tell her no again, and then put my gonorrhea back into my pants and go back into the living room where the party is going on strong...at my expense. They want more beer. But of course you do! "Go get more beer, i tell the girls, and hand them some more money."

Suddenly, i cannot drink anymore. I'm nearly drunk, i thank everyone for a good time, and tell them i'll be back on Monday. I leave. As i'm on the back of a motoconcho, heading towards the malecon, my phone rings and its my Austrian friends. They're on the way to me right now to get my bike out. I tell them don't bother. It's not happening! They laugh. They got their own "get out of jail free motorcycle card with them." We meet and go back to the apartment. I don't want to go inside. there is probably an orgy going on right now at my expense. I've got venereal diseases, and this does not jive well with me when i cannot participate in a beaver fest that i paid for with my own money.

A man, Eduardo, who i have never seen before in my life, gets out of the back of my Austrians SUV (I had forgot, i had called them earlier in the day to explain what happened). We walk inside the apartment, everyone stands up and greets Eduardo. He and the chief go back into the back bedroom and 5 minutes later, my Suzuki GSXR1000 is being pushed outside into the front yard.

Moral of the story: Dominicans love beer, they love to party, they love money, they love sex, and in the DR--getting something done in a timely fashion--is about who you know, not what you know.

Love Frank

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008
I love the good stories and yes the Dominicans are as friendly and kind as any other race. There are of course those who take some people for a ride (be it their own kind or foreigners)... but we have found that mostly the people are so genuine here. We have been living here for 6 years and still love it!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
It is absolutely true what everyone has posted about help on the highway here. While it is clear that it is dangerous to drive since most of us are not used to the local habits of making right turns from the left lane, and passing on the right, and having conchos weaving in and out between cars, it is also true that everyone here is enlisted in an island wide AAA club. (That is an organization in the States which will come and give you a tow if you are stranded on the road).

I have had at least four different incidents of road help. Some of which I have posted.

Perhaps there are cases when newbies get taken. Perhaps there are gringo prices a bit.. (friends who come here are always checking, if there is a colmado delivery, that they are NOT overcharging me)..

But I have found that Dominicans will come over and stay with you if you are sick.

And then they will clean out the fridge and wash the floor if it needs it.

They do not just say "would you like some soup" They bring it.

They will do your shopping for you.

They will never forget your birthday, even if you want them to.

I used to get upset because when the phone rings, they do not say who is calling, whether it is telemarketer or a bank or your doctor, or a friend, but always start with this, good morning, Senora, and how are you, and

I used to interrupt with this .. well.. rude.. and WHO IS THIS?

and now I just .. well what does it hurt to be pleasant? and have a lovely exchange with the telemarketer before I explain...

that I do not actually especa da Spanish...

but here at least, time is not money

uncle larry

Sep 3, 2013
While riding my bicycle back to my apartment in late July, angels were definitely looking out for me and sent Carlos Mancebo and Dr. De La Cruz to help.
Half way back to my apartment in Sosua from volunteering at the Mariposa DR Foundation center, I blew my tire. With 4 miles of busy roadway ahead of me, and a hot blazing sun above me, I accepted the fact that I would be walking my bike home.
The sun was blistering hot and traffic was heavy. The shoulder of the roadway was non-existant, at spots.
Ten minutes later, as I approached the busier section of the roadway, and the part where the shoulder disappears altogether, a mini-suv pulled over on the other side of the road.
"Do you need help?' The Dominican man asked me, speaking in English.
"Por favor."
The man turned his car around and returned to me.
I used caution and considered my options if things didnt play out in my favor.
Two men, dressed in nice business apparel hopped out.
"I ride bike too. I could not leave you walking in this hot sun. I have a Giant Mountain Bike."
Ok. I felt better about the situation. A fellow cyclist.
The men introduced themselves. Carlos is the head banker at the Banco Santa Cruz two blocks from my apartment. Dr. De La Cruz is a local vet whose office I pass everyday.
"Thank you so much." I couldn't begin to express the gratitude I felt for their help.
The men spoke English very well and were great to talk to as they drove me back to my town. I told them about my volunteer work and swim instructing. Carlos said he would love to learn to swim better because he "he swims like a rock."
Instead of dropping me off at home, they pulled into an auto/moto repair center beside the Dr. De La Cruz's office and had the mechanics repair my tube for me...for a dollar. I offered the men money for helping me. They refused it.
"I can not thank you enough. I am here for one more week. If you would like dinner or swimming lessons here is my email."
"We are glad we could help you."
We exchanged business cards and went our separated ways.

Thank you Dr De La Cruz and Carlos Mancebo!