Canadian non resident income tax

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
Is there anyone here that does Canadian non resident income tax here and knows the laws and deductions.
My chartered accountant in Canada done my income tax and the income tax office refused to except my wife and children as a deduction. Has anyone also had this problem.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
You might want to have a dictionary at hand before proceeding as well. :)

artistdani

Mar 13, 2012
Deciphering taxation rules and regulations is often a very nebulous proposition. In any language.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Non-resident income tax in Canada?

Pls explain, you mean you are a foreigner earning income in Canada?
Or a Cdn citizen who is non-resident filing earned income in Canada?

Normally, non-residents do not pay taxes

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Non-resident income tax in Canada?

Pls explain, you mean you are a foreigner earning income in Canada?
Or a Cdn citizen who is non-resident filing earned income in Canada?

Normally, non-residents do not pay taxes

Unless of course you receive a government pension , then you pay income tax and it is to your benefit to remain a resident for tax purposes.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
with the little info provided, here's what should happen. IMO

The non-resident would file the gross income in Canada and be charged a 15% withholding tax by Canada (depending on the tax agreement with the taxpayer's taxable country).

That 15% s/b applicable to any taxes owing in your tax residence - it s/b there you file for your deductions (wife, et al).
The 15% is 'off the top', and not based on net earnings ..but the gross amount.

That's my take on it.........

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
with the little info provided, here's what should happen. IMO

The non-resident would file the gross income in Canada and be charged a 15% withholding tax by Canada (depending on the tax agreement with the taxpayer's taxable country).

That 15% s/b applicable to any taxes owing in your tax residence - it s/b there you file for your deductions (wife, et al).
The 15% is 'off the top', and not based on net earnings ..but the gross amount.

That's my take on it.........

18% for the DR.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Once you've received confirmation that you're a non-resident (must have the letter from them saying so), you can request an income tax revision. On the CRA website you'll find all the info you need as a non-resident, including how and if you can claim anything for your spouse and kids.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Once you've received confirmation that you're a non-resident (must have the letter from them saying so), you can request an income tax revision. On the CRA website you'll find all the info you need as a non-resident, including how and if you can claim anything for your spouse and kids.

and in both official languages.