Shipping from DR

ltf13

Sep 2, 2013
Hello,
I found a lot of information about receiving packages in DR. I just moved here and am curious if to ship packages out of DR do we need to use a private company as well or is the country's postal service reliable? If need to be through a private company, does someone have a recommendation?
Thanks in advance!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I do not know of any private companies outside of Federal Express and UPS that ship from the DR. VERY expensive.

Inposdom, the DR Postal service, has worked for some people, but I have no experience using them to send items.

Many people have reconsidered having businesses here, like an EBay seller for example, since there is no great option for shipping from the DR. If you find one, please let us know.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I do not know of any private companies outside of Federal Express and UPS that ship from the DR. VERY expensive.

DHL, also. But also very expensive.
Some forward couriers, the ones you use to receive packages, can also offer you a small discount with those main couriers mentioned above, but it's very small, like 5% if I remember correctly.
So I guess it depends on the size and value of what you are sending. Little package, little value, I would risk it using INPOSDOM. Big package, big value, I would play it safe and fork whatever it's needed.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I did not bring DHL into the picture because they are one shipper that has had a lot of problems. Is there service record now good again?

ltf13

Sep 2, 2013
Thank you all so much for the responses. I imagined it wasn't going to be possible but wanted to make sure. Thanks! :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we used inposdom once and it worked. expensive but still cheaper than courier companies.
to give you an idea of a price for fedex and the likes: sending a letter to poland with return envelope (this is some documents that needed confirming, few pages) costs 100 dollars. and that's thin envelope with few sheets of papers inside.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
skippys been shooting off the mouth since 2003 and the first we hear of this is NOW !

This has been a question for a long time..... Look at CB jump on it!!
Getting ready to ship his trove back !!!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
skippys been shooting off the mouth since 2003 and the first we hear of this is NOW !

This has been a question for a long time..... Look at CB jump on it!!
Getting ready to ship his trove back !!!

Yeah....what happened to those goodies in your container CB?????

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Yeah....what happened to those goodies in your container CB?????
Some are gonna get put on here shortly. Getting sorted out. Been busy chasing bureaucrats.

I'm gonna write a post about my mundanza experience. 'Cept it isn't over. That's kinda a hint.;)

I want to ship coffee to the states in small lots, but there isn't anyone who can do that for 3 times what it costs to ship stuff down. If anyone can ever figure that one out they will make a fortune.

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
would not advise DHL, used to own an Ebay Resale store in the States and what a cluster. We receive mail and packages from Amazon etc through EPS but there is a fee to pay.....however if you get free shipping from US to EPS address then all you pay is their fee which is less than shipping in the states. We used EPS to send a document and it was received in the States within 7 days but have not sent a package......so if you find out how to ship let me know.....I want to ship a package to India to a friend who works for the Save the Tiger Foundation..

skippys

Jan 17, 2003
only now am I NEEDING a shipper..... my "quote" was about US$140 per box - they do door to door / supply the boxes / and the packing tape!!!! informative website.... printable US custom forms...... good luck - post YOUR experience please.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
only now am I NEEDING a shipper..... my "quote" was about US$140 per box - they do door to door / supply the boxes / and the packing tape!!!! informative website.... printable US custom forms...... good luck - post YOUR experience please.
How big can the box be? How heavy?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
skippys, Yes this is a major breakthrough. Please post all the details you have about this.