Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default When hustled by the police

Hey everyone. This is my first post, but I have been reading lots of information on this site. Thanks to all those that have contributed. I will be living and working in Santo Domingo, about 2 weeks a month for the next 2 years. While I do not know much Spanish ( am learning), I am otherwise comfortable with the travel risks and watching my back.

The biggest concern I have with my travel is being pulled over by the police ( national police) This has happened several time in the few short visits that I have had. Fortunately I had Dominicans in the car each time I was pulled over, but from what I can tell, I was pulled over for driving while americano. I will have to drive for my work, so this situation will be unavoidable.

How do you typically handle these situations? Is there a standard amount that the national police are looking to hustle me for? Or is there a standard amount that they would be happy with?
    any advise on how to handle this particular situation would be appreciated. It seems to be a problem that is not going to go away...

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

In my experience, as long as you have all your documents, there's nothing they can do. Oh, yes, they will try to intimidate you, but they don't want to take you to "destacamento", all they want is money. if you don't budge and they have nothing against you, they will let you go. Giving them a tip of $100 won't hurt, but you might just have given them a reason (bribing a police officer) to ask for more.
    If you are in fact at fault (ran a red light, wrong turn, etc) and don't want to have any problems, $100 or $200 should be enough, but policemen usually go in pairs, so you might have to double that amount.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

You're already looking at it the wrong way. Don't break the law, carry the proper documentation and deal with it in such way. Be nice, polite and professional. Police for the most part won't get involved in traffic stops (AMET) does that, they may stop you at the toll booth or checkpoints while driving in country.

Good luck!

4. Likes Harleysrock liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replys, i guess I am looking at it in the wrong way, but through the experiences I've had, the police national pulled us over eaxh time not AMET. They seemed more concerned with lining their pockets than protecting the public.

I'm not a law breaker, an will have all legit papers, just not used to that kind of abuse of power. A lot of comments in this forum mentions that this is common practice by PN, and I want to navigate through these situations as professional and smoothly as possible.

Thanks again for the responses.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Waber View Post
    Thanks for the replys, i guess I am looking at it in the wrong way, but through the experiences I've had, the police national pulled us over eaxh time not AMET. They seemed more concerned with lining their pockets than protecting the public.

I'm not a law breaker, an will have all legit papers, just not used to that kind of abuse of power. A lot of comments in this forum mentions that this is common practice by PN, and I want to navigate through these situations as professional and smoothly as possible.

Thanks again for the responses.
    Hold your ground on those premises and they'll get it.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

remember, you need not always stop..... smile , wave, nod..... drive by.

8. Likes Harleysrock, N/A, mainegal liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    remember, you need not always stop..... smile , wave, nod..... drive by.
    Will that not cause me more problems? I know that it would in North Carolina?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Not always..... you're not in Kansas any more.

You'll see that there are some ( like me) who advocate the "keep moving" strategy.

11. Likes Harleysrock liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    Not always..... you're not in Kansas any more.

You'll see that there are some ( like me) who advocate the "keep moving" strategy.
    lol......
    That was our strategy back in the day when the police had no vehicle with them at the side of the road. (They would be bussed in to their spot.) Then, there was an occasional motorbike. Then small vehicles................
    I'd probably be a little hesitant to fly on by.
    If you caught them on a bad day, they might come after you and they'd probably be really ticked off.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had 2 on a moto knocking on my window..... 50mph....

You need to discern when to stop and when to not....

this has been discussed at length here

14. Likes flyinroom, Harleysrock liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast