cheap tickets and candy

R

rio

I will be making my first visit to DR at the end of the month. I found $319 fares on American Airlines from Miami with an online company called Cheaptickets. Does anyone know anything good or bad about this company?

Also, I've never been anywhere like the DR. I was thinking of taking some candy to pass out to all the people I will be meeting (my hosts, family members of my boyfriend, kids, etc.) I was going to bring bags of the standards: Hershey kisses, Snickers minis, you know. But I want to bring something they won't have there. Any ideas?

R

Rick Stone

Rio, forget the candy. It's already there. Bring bubble gum. It's cheap and people will like it better. Go to any sore and pick it up.

C

criss colon

The milk chocolate you mention,may melt in your hand,and not in their mouth!I always brought M&Ms,plain,and "crunchy"(not peanut) also Werthers Originals. They have "everything" here,but very expensive,and sometimes "old" They like ball point pens,like "Bic".Kids love even the "cheapest" toys,little plastic cars,rubber balls,etc.I mean cheap,and small.The key word here is QUANTITY.They prefer more toys of lesser quality.The kids here tend to "destroy" their toys,or their friends will!"special" friends will like Major League Baseball caps! Have fun! Criss

J

james

Re: cheap tickets

Cheap Tickets like Travelocity and others have been around for sometime. I used them once for a trip and had no problems. I generally use Travelocity but thats just my preference. Bottom line is you should be fine.

T

Tony Castaneira

Bic Pens? Cheap Toys? Baseball Caps? Who do you hang out with. My friends in the DR usually want Games for Playstation or Nintendo or programs for their PCs. Not to mention Single Malt Scotches.

J

jim

Rio, I looked at American Airlines web site yesterday and found tickets from Miami to SD for $331. May get cheaper as flights arn't full.

J

jim

look down the posts for AA by Stela, said AA Miami to PP or SD $233. round trip. Good Luck

L

linamia

Re: cheap tickets

Kids in Dr do not destroy toys (as they do have many they tend to take care of them and appreciated them more than previlidged children from abroad.) if you want to bring candy go ahead and do so but please do not insult people by giving them something you would not touch wtih a ten foot pole. It is better not to give anything than give them things out of guilt and pity. remeber there is everything you can get abroad just more expensive.

M

Marc

Then you have rich friends

Criss is bang on as far as the north coast children go. Many are kids that don't go to school because they can't afford uniforms. IF they can afford uniforms and are at the "school", chances are they can't afford pens and the small things that make them smile...like rubber balls...

Ever been on a guided tour to a waterfall? The kids don't chase the jeeps shouting for nintendo games, they want candy!

marc

M

Marc

rio. You can buy everything you spoke about once you get down here. Trick is, even though it is FOR SALE down here does not mean it is affordable for all dominicans. I would suggest that another option for you is to save the place and weight in your luggage...buy candy/small toys when you get down here, and then feel free to spread your generosity.

Other ways to give to the kids, as many of them work:
Get a shoe shine
Buy their wares
Buy their food (peanuts, sugar treats, sugar cane, eggs)

Good luck, and thanks for thinking of the kids.

marc

C

criss colon

I "hangout" with my wife,s,family,and other Dominicans.I,m not really concerned about their "social status". You ,being a "Qbean", are obviuosly out to impress us! "Single Malt Scotch" my ass! What would a "Qbean" know about them? Criss

R

rio

the candy thing

I guess I was misunderstood. When I go somewhere, I like to try things I can't get at home. So when I travel somewhere, I like to take things from home that people there don't have or that represent my area. What I was looking for was more of a suggestion on brands of candy. I'm not looking to feed the poor. I'm a candy eater - I can't go a day without chocolate. So if anyone has been in the DR, and just couldn't get their hands on that favorite treat, I'd like to know.

J

Jerry

Re: the candy thing

Rio,
Looks like you live in Volusia county, Email me at jki5384486@aol.com. We live part time in Puerto Plata
and would be happy to give you some insights.

T

Tony Castaneira

Criss.

Your jealousy is showing!!!

BTW At least I am not afraid to use my real name!

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Rio: I wish tourists like you just spend your money patronizing our businesses, stores and hotels, buy our products and encourage commercial relations rather than engage in candy charity.

If you want to help, promote employment, so that poor parents can provide their children rather than promote the welfare, begging system.

T

Tony

TW

With your attitude and method of promotion, people will certainly steer clear of visiting the DR. let alone contributing to the economy.

Did anyone ever tell you tourism was a SERVICE INDUSTRY?

Tony

T

Tony Castaneira

Really? I should be afraid? Why is that? I know you are not going to do anything.

M

Marc

Re: the candy thing

Werthers, O-Henry, Smarties, Mars bars, Crispy Crunch, KitKat, ROLO...

But some of these I don't even think they have in the US...

marc

M

Marc

Bringing money to the DR

What makes you think that one precludes the other (patronizing businesses vs giving children candy they can't buy here)? Do you think he is going to sleep on the beach? Eat sand? drink sea water? Of course he's going to patronize local businesses.

What do you prefer that he do when he sees a child...kick him/her in the ass and tell them to get a job, or give them a piece of candy, and say buenos dias?

marc