Good doctor for cataract surgery and hernia surgery...

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I have a friend who needs to have cataract surgery and hernia surgery. He has met with two doctors for each procedure, all in Santiago, and the prices he got seem high to me...although admittedly I have no idea what would be appropriate surgery costs for here.

Anyone who has had either procedure recently and/or can recommend someone, please let me know.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
What kind of hernia surgery is your friend having? Hopefully someone can help.

Last edited:

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Had my cataract surgery done this year in S.D. Did my research and found Dr. Juan Batlle. Duke University med school and lots of other good stuff.

Both eyes, down a week apart, about U.S. $4,500. for the procedures for both eyes with all the meds and follow ups.

Being that we are on the north coast we found an apt/hotel to stay in a block over so could walk. Stores and restaurants within walking distance.

Good man. Good team. I can see.

I'll give you all details if you are interested.

If I went back to the U.S..... $10K easy PLUS the travel, rentals, months etc. Around $20K if I had gone back.

Hernia about 8 years ago so does not apply anymore.

Edit: He does "free" work for those in need that can not afford it.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012

Ashley Bishop

Apr 4, 2012
He said they will be inserting (implanting?) mesh...

OMG,, please be sooooo careful mate if it is a spinal op...I had 2 slipped discs in 2006 and had an op in Santo Domingo and they co..ked it up...I was left with a small piece of bone missing, yes missing, from my spinal column...they operated on the L5/S1 and basically left my spine un-stable...so I had to go back to the UK and have a spinal de-compression and fusion and now have 4 x 1inch bolts holding my lower back together...

I have made a 95% recovery from said operation and thank the heavens all went well.."ish" the second time...

There are some good orthopedic surgeons in the DR, but choose wisely and have good insurance!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
OMG,, please be sooooo careful mate if it is a spinal op...I had 2 slipped discs in 2006 and had an op in Santo Domingo and they co..ked it up...I was left with a small piece of bone missing, yes missing, from my spinal column...they operated on the L5/S1 and basically left my spine un-stable...so I had to go back to the UK and have a spinal de-compression and fusion and now have 4 x 1inch bolts holding my lower back together...

I have made a 95% recovery from said operation and thank the heavens all went well.."ish" the second time...

There are some good orthopedic surgeons in the DR, but choose wisely and have good insurance!

It's a mesh for a hernia, nothing to do with the spine!

Ashley Bishop

Apr 4, 2012
I had two herniated discs...meaning...hernia! but of course you cant get a hernia in the eyes...and there is a flexible "mesh" around the 4 bolts and 2 discs supporting my spine...trust me...Ive been there!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Yup, that's what you said, I did read it. I've had xray-guided steroid shots in my spine, bad enough, can't imagine what you went through, must have been very painful.

But I believe David is referring to two separate operations - one for cataracts, and a totally different one for a hernia somewhere else in his friend's body.

Ashley Bishop

Apr 4, 2012
That's probably it dude...but lets see what David says...Also, I had a facet joint guided injection to inject steroids into the actual spine, and trust me...I don't wish that pain on anyone! Thankfully all is "almost" normal now, but you can tell there's something there...

Yup, that's what you said, I did read it. I've had xray-guided steroid shots in my spine, bad enough, can't imagine what you went through, must have been very painful.

But I believe David is referring to two separate operations - one for cataracts, and a totally different one for a hernia somewhere else in his friend's body.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
it would be nice if all who made recommendations give a price approximately and how long ago .....