Edenorte extortion

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Hello,

Everyone was so very helpful with me for my birds, I figured to post this major issue, need some contacts if possible..

I've moved to Puerto Plata 5 Months ago, been here in the DR for 7 Years total..2 Months later, my electric was cut, had no idea what happened...Found that the prior tenant owed 200 pesos, landlord did not pay it, so I did!..A few hours later, tech came back and reconnected cable, using black tape, wires still exposed..Well, an hour later or so it started to rain, rained all night..Now, I move on, my electric bills has always averaged between 800- 1,500 pesos..My next bill?? 25,000!!!!!!! I immediately called and opened a complaint..

Tech came the next day, we did testing together..Put fridge on while he looked at his volt mete, next, fan, Inversol, TV, etc..I don't have much here..He found that the meter was bad, was very hot on top of it indicating that its shorted out from the rain we had hitting the wires that were bare from the last tech that tapped the cable...So, I went down to the secondary office as advised, they looked into my history and said to pay only 1,228 pesos, I did on the spot! I did not have to pay the 25,000!! Well well, 2 days later, they cut me again, left me a shutoff notice with a bill for 10,000!!!! Now they want me to pay 1/2 of the 25,000!!! After the paper was signed and its even stamped from the Manager..

This is not my bill!! They know that, they changed the meter which acknowledges that it was faulty! I have been without electric now for over 2 weeks..However, I am very good with electric, went to school for this many Years ago, wanted to be an electrician and was an apprentice for 3 Years etc...Bla bla bla...So, I have been connecting myself, NOT STEALING IT!! I connect it back to my meter..But, every Morning the truck comes and cuts it off..Now, they cut the cable to the house so it cannot reach the meter..I thought they could not enter private property, but hey, that's fine...I have cable...Anyways, this is not the point...I have my birds which a few of you know about from my last post..They need light at night or they have night frights, flying about in a panic and can die..

Overall, I don't have money to pay this or I just would do so, I'm on a very strict fixed income budget...So, I contacted the Embassy, got a Supervisor and told me that this is extortion!! Call Edenorte, get the name of the GM and call them back...I cannot find the name or number for the GM, but found a supervisor at their corporate office, number 809-535-9098...Mrs Accosta..She too said its Extortion, was not happy, advised me to provide her with all document info etc..I sent her 2 emails of everything she requested, been calling her since 4 days now and nothing...Never takes the phone, no replies back from my emails yet..I figure she must be very busy, not ignoring me since she was very concerned with what happened, so I believe so anyways..

Has anyone gone through this?? If so, or not, do you know how I can find the GM at their main office or who else can I speak with?? This is crazy!!! I need help, I need to buy food and I can't even do that, no cold fridge..Right now I'm running off whats left on my Invertor from the charge on Sunday...I really hate playing with this electric at the pole since they also cut the wire very short at the meter so I cannot connect..I can do it, just very risky!!

Also, is there anywhere that the DR will lend money??? I can pay the 10,000 back in 2 weeks, just don't have it now..This way, I can end all of this, then later I will fight for that money back

Thanks so much again!!

Anthony

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Go as soon as you can to Protecom near Bournigal and file a protest. Maybe they can help. At the least it should help prevent Edenorte from cutting your power while this is under review. Will you still be screwed? Probably, but it might be for less money.

Protecom (Consumer protection Agency over Edenorte)
address:
Calle Antera Mota – calle Virgilio Ortega Residencial Isabel de Torres, Local 112 Puerto Plata, Dom Rep
Notes:
Oficina Puerto Plata
Calle Antera Mota – calle Virgilio Ortega,
Residencial Isabel de Torres, Local 112
Puerto Plata, R. D.
TEL: 586-7125, 586-7120 586-9057
Fax: 586-4310

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
Definitely go to protecom as windeguy suggested. My wife, who is Dominican, had a sister in a similar situation. The got a bill that was ridiculously high one month and found that the meter was bad. They replaced the meter but refused to lower the bill for my wife's sister. Keep in mind this was in a typical, poor Dominican neighborhood where nobody ever has a bill for more than 1,000 pesos. Hers was something like 20,000. She couldn't afford that so eDenorte cut her power. After I did some research I suggested she got to Protecom. Protecom opened a case and most importantly made eDenorte restore her power while the case was under review. Ultimately she never had to pay the 20,000 and settled at the average of her monthly bill for the prior 6 months which seemed fair as nobody could really know what was correct with the faulty meter.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The average billing is what indeed should be the result as cjp2010 mentioned.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Thanks so much!!! I have a meeting tomorrow with a supervisor from the Embassy who will then be going with me to Ednorte..Surprising!!! I also heard back from Anny Aacosta, here is her message..

Buenas:

Ya estoy viendo su caso con Edenorte.

Le mantengo informado.

Anny Acosta

Asistente Administrativa

Vicepresidencia Ejecutiva

CDEEE

In English

Good:

I'm already watching your case with Edenorte.

I keep you informed.

I also spoke with her, but very late after I posted this..She sent an email to the GM of Ednorte, should get a reply back tomorrow so she said..Looks like she is a very good contact, high up in the ranks..And like I said before, she was the one that said its extortion!! Odd coming from an employee, but I will never tell..My meeting is at 11:20 AM at the Embassy first, so I can debrief the supervisor and show him all of my past bills which again are between 800 - 1,500 pesos...All that said, I will be looking into a civil suit for all of my stress, mental anguish, loss of foods, money, etc, or whatever you want to call it..I am going after these people regardless of the outcome!! I'm also hitting all social media, and will try my damn hardest to get this on the news!!! I think most of you have lost your electric at some point living here for a few hours..try almost 3 weeks and live on an SSI income...I'm shell shocked!!! I'm literally going out of my mind! My next post will be looking for a good Lawyer that will take such a case if I have one..BTW, I finally convinced my landlord to drop me a life line...I was outside in tonight's rain, getting ready to get myself electrocuted, he yelled STOP!!! Don't do it man, its raining...talked for a bit, then he hooked me up thank God! I too was a bit worried, but I have to do what I have to do..I actually wanted to get my invertor fully charged..Hopefully and God willing please, this will be resolved tomorrow...Will surly keep you folks posted and thanks so very much again for all the help here!! Love you guys!!

And I will be headed over to Protecom next if nothing is done with this tomorrow for sure!

Anthony

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
PS I have Anny's contact info, even her Flota number (Cell) just didn't want to post it on an open forum...If anyone reads this down the road (Months later etc) and needs help, PM me, I will provide her info to you

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Just an update:

This past Wednesday I had 7 people come from Edenorte, 3 supervisors, 3 techs and get this, 1 Engineer! They took a good look around, checked my meter again since it was just changed, etc and found that its impossible that I have used so much electric...Yea, really???! BTW, this is not just about that 25,000 dilemma, I got another 2 bills now! one for 6,000 and another over 9,000!!! total of 16,000 which does not include that 25,000 that they did decide to wash out thanks to Mrs Acosta..Now, they also called my landlord, asked them if they are on my electric in anyway that they know of..Nope! And because they called and accused them, they now want me to leave..I wonder if they are worried about getting caught if they are, doesn't make any sense at all here...

So, they left, told me to expect a call in 3 days which I figured, if nothing was found, I would be stuck paying this money...I was hoping they would never call!!! Well, they called today about 3 hours ago..I was told since they did not find anything and cannot leave things the way they are, they are coming back either on Monday or Tuesday with some other equipment for testing everything...I would imagine they will just bring a few volt/OHM meters as they should have from the start, but did not do so..I also requested that they change the cable from the meter!! After all, that was the reason the meter burnt out...Also, my landlord continues to go to the roof early in the Morning...If I have my light in the living room on, it dims down while he is up there..What does that tell us?? I truly believe the SOB is on my electric at times and its all too easy!!! his cable is right next to mine, just run 2 wires over to me and you're on! So again, if you're not guilty of this, why are they asking us to leave!!??? Seems they are worried about getting caught and I have no plans to advise them that Edenorte is coming back either..

That said, I must be very honest here, those folks are great!! all so very nice all except 2 spoke perfect English and the one supervisor, Ada, totally agreed about the cable being changed, said they will do just that when they come back. Overall, the contact at their corpoorate office was key!!! Mrs Aacosta!! But I also went to the Embassy where a Mr Gomez called one of the supervisors that helped to setup a meeting just a few minutes later being that the Embassy & Edenorte are right next to each other here in Puerto Plata...

I will post back the findings and/or outcome once I have that info..

Thanks again!

Anthony

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Anthony there is a special complaints office in Santo Domingo set up by Leonel years ago to resolve such problems as you had. That office covers all electricity supply companies in the DR.
Their telephone number is 8092002111, they are open 9-5pm and you need to speak Spanish to talk with them. But I promise you they are speedy in their response and you will receive a call back from them the same day, with info, names, and action/investigation they have started. They always resolve such matters and the managers of every Electricity Co in the DR "Jump" when they call.
Shame I didnt see your thread before now, it might have saved you a lot of time and stress

Good luck with your problem

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Hi LB,

Thanks a bunch!!! I have added your post to my Electric folder...serious, I do have a folder of all the contacts that I have found or have been provided with...They are coming back either tomorrow or Tuesday, but it will have to be Tuesday since I'm going to SD tomorrow all day...I hope they will find the issue this time out because I have bills of 6,000 9,960, and the other was that fatty of 25,000 which they did void, but I paid my average of 1,228 pesos..But as you know since I think you read this thread, had no electric for almost 3 weeks although I did my own connections at times...

Anyways, I truly appreciate your help!! lets hope I don't need to do more...Fingers & toes crossed...

Anthony

Anthony there is a special complaints office in Santo Domingo set up by Leonel years ago to resolve such problems as you had. That office covers all electricity supply companies in the DR.
Their telephone number is 8092002111, they are open 9-5pm and you need to speak Spanish to talk with them. But I promise you they are speedy in their response and you will receive a call back from them the same day, with info, names, and action/investigation they have started. They always resolve such matters and the managers of every Electricity Co in the DR "Jump" when they call.
Shame I didnt see your thread before now, it might have saved you a lot of time and stress

Good luck with your problem

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
I will be looking into a civil suit for all of my stress, mental anguish, loss of foods, money, etc, or whatever you want to call it..
Don't waste your time for that in DR. You will have more stress and more loss of money.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Don't waste your time for that in DR. You will have more stress and more loss of money.

great advice. this is not Judge Judy. these guys will laugh you out of court, and make your life worse of a misery thereafter. i have 2 words for you. Third World.