Loudspeaker re-cone parts, voice coils, spiders, cones on the north coast

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have some loudspeakers that need to be re-coned. I am looking for places on the north coast that sell voice coils, spiders and loudspeaker cones since I want to do the job myself. Delancer in Sosua does not have the voice coil size I need for this particular job which is one inch. I can order from Ebay, but the sizing has to be perfect and it is better to have one to verify it will work before it is purchased and useless.

Any places in Puerto Plata you know of, please let me know.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I have some loudspeakers that need to be re-coned. I am looking for places on the north coast that sell voice coils, spiders and loudspeaker cones since I want to do the job myself. Delancer in Sosua does not have the voice coil size I need for this particular job which is one inch. I can order from Ebay, but the sizing has to be perfect and it is better to have one to verify it will work before it is purchased and useless.

Any places in Puerto Plata you know of, please let me know.

one inch voice coil? how big is that beastie?

i would not worry too much about the size being off if you order a specific size. a one inch voice coil is generally a standard size, unless past experiences you might have had prove otherwise.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
one inch voice coil? how big is that beastie?

i would not worry too much about the size being off if you order a specific size. a one inch voice coil is generally a standard size, unless past experiences you might have had prove otherwise.

4 1/2 inch drivers. It really is one inch, just that some vendors sell only in metric equivalents to one inch and some might be too tall as well. I found some on line sources, but just hoped to have a local source as well. I was surprised Delancer did not have any.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
4 1/2 inch drivers. It really is one inch, just that some vendors sell only in metric equivalents to one inch and some might be too tall as well. I found some on line sources, but just hoped to have a local source as well. I was surprised Delancer did not have any.

i do not know how accurate these drivers have to be, so i am not in a position to comment on the pros and cons of reconing and replacing the voice coils. what make and model are they, and what do you use them for?

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Windeguy.
De Lancer shop in Charimicos has a lot of parts - have you tried there?

Olly and the Team

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
windeguy, i do not know what those drivers are intended to do, but bear a few things in mind. if you have a pair of drivers from a specific company, the voice coil is their design, and is wound to their specs. the cone is also made to their design specs, so the cone material may be polypropylene, paper, carbon fiber, or whatever. when you replace any part, you have created a new device. all the Thiele Small parameters have changed, and there is no guarantee that it will work in the original enclosure any more. if you end up changing parameters like the fs, which is the free air resonance, then you will have to redesign the enclosure, which will no longer be optimal. i have a device which can measure the Thiele Small, and we can use a program like WINISD Pro to calculate the speaker enclosure design. i mention this because rebuilding might defeat your purpose, and you might be better off buying OEM replacements.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
i do not know how accurate these drivers have to be, so i am not in a position to comment on the pros and cons of reconing and replacing the voice coils. what make and model are they, and what do you use them for?

They are ancient BOSE 800 Pro PA speakers. Each box contains eight 4.5" drivers (and a 10 ohm load resistor to get the cabinet to an overall 8 ohm load) . I use them for stage monitors for our band and also for a "main" PA when playing as duo with a guitarist. I have some slightly smaller speakers from Parts Express that I can use in the cabinets, but I prefer to restore it with the original speakers if I can re-cone them myself.

Not an audiophile application ("BOSE: No highs - No lows" is a favorite audiophile snipe at BOSE) but they work very well in my applications. Reconing services in the US charge about $30 and used drivers sell upwards of $60 and then add shipping to that. I have sources for cones and voice coils from the US if need be and I already have the spiders.

I recently re-coned a JBL 15 inch driver and I must say it came out very well after an aborted attempt at a location I will name only if you send me a PM.

Olly, thanks for the suggestion, but as I mention in my OP the first place I checked was Delancer in Sosua. I was surprised they had no 1" voice coils at all. Such a common size and no supply. That is why I was looking for other locations that might have them.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Windeguy.
De Lancer shop in Charimicos has a lot of parts - have you tried there?

Olly and the Team

Yes thank you. I mentioned that in my first post. I was surprised that such a common size as 1" would not be available there.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Take a day trip to the capital, 3 or 4 stores sell a huge range of speaker parts.

Likely I would order from the US and CHINA before I did that, with my great love of going to Santo Domingo, but thank you for the suggestion.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
They are ancient BOSE 800 Pro PA speakers. Each box contains eight 4.5" drivers (and a 10 ohm load resistor to get the cabinet to an overall 8 ohm load) . I use them for stage monitors for our band and also for a "main" PA when playing as duo with a guitarist. I have some slightly smaller speakers from Parts Express that I can use in the cabinets, but I prefer to restore it with the original speakers if I can re-cone them myself.

Not an audiophile application ("BOSE: No highs - No lows" is a favorite audiophile snipe at BOSE) but they work very well in my applications. Reconing services in the US charge about $30 and used drivers sell upwards of $60 and then add shipping to that. I have sources for cones and voice coils from the US if need be and I already have the spiders.

I recently re-coned a JBL 15 inch driver and I must say it came out very well after an aborted attempt at a location I will name only if you send me a PM.

Olly, thanks for the suggestion, but as I mention in my OP the first place I checked was Delancer in Sosua. I was surprised they had no 1" voice coils at all. Such a common size and no supply. That is why I was looking for other locations that might have them.

windeguy, this is exactly why i asked you what they are used for. in a PA application, they are not that critical. however, if you are using them for monitoring in the recording process, then reconing them with someone else's parts will make them useless for the purpose. think of what would happen to a precise monitor like a Yamaha NS10M if you started replacing the cone materials.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
maybe they use the same drivers as the legendary 901. there are replacement drivers for those at very reasonable prices on the web.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
maybe they use the same drivers as the legendary 901. there are replacement drivers for those at very reasonable prices on the web.

The 901s are a 1 ohm driver with all the speaker wired in series to achieve 8 ohms. The PRO series used eight 8 ohm drivers and a 10 ohm load resistor in the proper series/parallel configuration to get 8 ohms. I would have to replace all 16 drivers with the 901 style if I went that route.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
windeguy, this is exactly why i asked you what they are used for. in a PA application, they are not that critical. however, if you are using them for monitoring in the recording process, then reconing them with someone else's parts will make them useless for the purpose. think of what would happen to a precise monitor like a Yamaha NS10M if you started replacing the cone materials.

Nope, not used for recording monitors, just stage monitors and small PA applications. Agreed that the recording monitor application is critical and would need an exact replacement, which is not necessary for my job.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The 901s are a 1 ohm driver with all the speaker wired in series to achieve 8 ohms. The PRO series used eight 8 ohm drivers and a 10 ohm load resistor in the proper series/parallel configuration to get 8 ohms. I would have to replace all 16 drivers with the 901 style if I went that route.

my bad. i thought you were reconing all the drivers. if that was the case, 16 1 ohm loads with eight per side in series would do the trick.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
my bad. i thought you were reconing all the drivers. if that was the case, 16 1 ohm loads with eight per side in series would do the trick.

No, not a bad suggestion at all. I even looked the total replacement solution with 1 ohm drivers, but at this time I will either recone the originals or use the slightly smaller ones I can purchase.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
No, not a bad suggestion at all. I even looked the total replacement solution with 1 ohm drivers, but at this time I will either recone the originals or use the slightly smaller ones I can purchase.

i have never used shipping services such as business mail, so i have no idea what shipping costs. if it is not that expensive, then you might look at either the Parts Express or MCM sites for great closeout deals on very decent drivers. you can get nice bulk deals.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
i have never used shipping services such as business mail, so i have no idea what shipping costs. if it is not that expensive, then you might look at either the Parts Express or MCM sites for great closeout deals on very decent drivers. you can get nice bulk deals.

The slightly smaller (4 inch not 4.5 inch) replacement drivers I do have are from PartsExpress. PartsExpress is a great company.

I have also purchased back up drivers for bass and PA cabinets (15") quality units from them. They can be imported for less money than buying "no-name" Chinese unknowns locally and for far less than name brand items sold here. It will always amaze me how I can import one off items for less than I can purchase them here. I use mainly Encargopaq for such items.

Looks like I will take a shot in the dark and order the voice coils from a US supplier if I don't find a north coast supplier.

I am looking at MCM right now:

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/browse/Speaker-Components/0000000210

PartsExpress is:

https://www.parts-express.com/