Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do's and don'ts in Cabrera

Do:

Go get some beach time at Playa Diamante – calm, pristine and clean.

Eat at Chico's – they've got mouth watering, perfectly made Pepperoni pizza's.

Shop at Garcia's where they got all sorts of imported goods and a wonderful service.

Stop by Choripan to get some break feast or a plato del da. It's nothing fancy, but good food at an affordable price. Although the name of the place is deceiving – my wife cried a bit on the inside when she realized they didn't had the Argentinian picadita choripan on the menu.

Get your chicken killed and plucked from the local breeder instead of buying at los supermercados.

Don't:

Eat at the San Marino restaurant where the definition of fresh pasta and unfrozen meat means that the dried pasta is cooked just before being served, and that the meat is defrosted before it hits the grill (although my husband's piece
    was still a bit icy in the middle).

Expect not to be bored. There's wonderful beaches around and incredible nature. But you get bored nevertheless. Once you've seen ten beaches you've seen them all.

Ask where the churrasco importado that they serve at Choripan is imported from. I expected them to answer Brazil or the US when I asked where it came from. But the waiter said “aqu”. I just had to understand this mystery, so I asked: “What do you mean by here. It says on the menu that it is imported. De donde?” And the answer was: “From Santo Domingo.” Needless to say, I chose to eat pica pollo instead of “churrasco importado de la capital”.

Stay at the Azul Bravio aparta hotel right at the sea. The view is great, and it's not expensive (1 000 pesos a night). But as for the agua y luz permanente that they promise, forget about it. Our one-year-old son woke up crying in the middle of the night because of the August heat in a room without fan or AC. Lovely night indeed.

Think it will be possible to buy quality meat around here. Just stick to fish and chicken instead and you will not be disappointed.

And please add your do's and dont's in Cabrera ...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Do
    interact with the incredible people in this town

Do Not
    live here if you need to be entertained

3. Dislikes yacht chef disliked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Makinater View Post
    Do:

Ask where the churrasco importado that they serve at Choripan is imported from. I expected them to answer Brazil or the US when I asked where it came from. But the waiter said “aqu”. I just had to understand this mystery, so I asked: “What do you mean by here. It says on the menu that it is imported. De donde?” And the answer was: “From Santo Domingo.” Needless to say, I chose to eat pica pollo instead of “churrasco importado de la capital”.

Think it will be possible to buy quality meat around here. Just stick to fish and chicken instead and you will not be disappointed.

And please add your do's and dont's in Cabrera ...
    I assume you realize your waiter is likely not on speed dial for the Nobel prize committee but he likely has no clue. The restaurant likely buys imported beef from a distributor from Santo Domingo, where that distributor gets it is a mystery to the waiter. I am pretty sure most meat in DR is imported from US.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

That's probably the case, rafael, it was still hilarious. and afterwards when we asked if they had tres leches, and she had no idea what we were talking about, that was pretty funny too.

Cabrera is really beautiful, and we've met some great people here. But on a whole I find it easier to interact with people in Sto.Dgo. It's been hard to strike up a conversation with dominicans here that last for more than 2 minutes (not counting the family we rent from or the family colmado next door). It reminds me of a small Swedish town where you need to stay for a longer period of time before people feel like they can bother talk to you.

I think we all need to be entertained, pularvik. For some that entertainment is watching beautiful nature, and others might need something else...

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Cabrera and 5 miles either direction is about to become the most expensive place to owm property in the DR. Anyone who can buy property with an eye toward rapid appreciation, that is the place to do it.
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

7. Likes Makinater, mido, Castellamonte liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pularvik View Post
    Do
    interact with the incredible people in this town

Do Not
    live here if you need to be entertained
    True on both accounts. Would've been great if you had elaborated some on the first point. Will add my info in the meanwhile:

* The founder of La Catalina Foundation - doing a great work for the community (support with what you can)

* El supersastrero Daniel - skilled at his craft and a very likeable person

* The owner of D'Sara - a woman full of joy and with a market full of great fruits and vegetables - it's a must

* Los chamacitos at el colmado My Propio Fuerza, that's where I get all my ice, snacks and the occasional haircut in the backyard

* El maletero de Caribe Tours, chattier than most sleepy Dominicans in this town

* The founders of La Esperanza project who helped us out a lot in the beginning

Lots of nice people indeed ...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    Cabrera and 5 miles either direction is about to become the most expensive place to owm property in the DR. Anyone who can buy property with an eye toward rapid appreciation, that is the place to do it.
    Most definitely so. Great investment opportunities ...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rafael View Post
    I assume you realize your waiter is likely not on speed dial for the Nobel prize committee but he likely has no clue. The restaurant likely buys imported beef from a distributor from Santo Domingo, where that distributor gets it is a mystery to the waiter. I am pretty sure most meat in DR is imported from US.
    Not on speed dial, no. And she wasn't a laureate last year either. I can even tell you that she won't be one next year either, since I am Swedish and happens to know a guy on the committee. On the topic of good meat, however, I just heard that they import Argentinian beef at the hotel La Isla Catalina - so I may have to revise my previous statement about quality meat in Cabrera

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

More do's and don'ts:

Do:

* Enjoy breathable air, cleanish streets and a serenity that makes it possible to hear one's own thoughts

* Take a walk with a stroller without having to zigzag between piles of trash, holes in the ground and other obstacles on the sideroad

Don't:

* Expect to have a normal conversation with the guy that walks around the streets babbling to himself and screaming at the cars - he's just incoherent and keeps repeating himself

12. Likes frank12 liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Makinater View Post
    Not on speed dial, no. And she wasn't a laureate last year either. I can even tell you that she won't be one next year either, since I am Swedish and happens to know a guy on the committee. On the topic of good meat, however, I just heard that they import Argentinian beef at the hotel La Isla Catalina - so I may have to revise my previous statement about quality meat in Cabrera
    Kjenna,

Hvor i Sverige er du fra. Hva gjr du i Dominikanske Rep? Er du gift med Dominikanske man eller Jobber du det? Vet du det Svenske venn til William Webster? Han bor i Cabrera ogs og ser ut som Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Frank

14. Likes Chennifer liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast