Agreement With Sosua Beach Vendors

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

Recently, the owners of gift shops, bars and restaurants (casetas) reached a compromise with the Deputy Minister of Tourism Francisco Javier Garc?a. The meeting where almost all owners of the beach casetas were present, was also attended by Mayor Ilana Neumann and the Director of Tourism Lorenzo Sancasani. The compromise consists in that a couple of gift shops and restaurants may remain in the center of the beach. The remaining casetas will be moved to the two plazas at the two entrances of the beach. Which casetas are allowed to stay in the center of the beach, and which are moved to the plaza's, is still uncertain.

brlatm

Apr 26, 2012
I don't know if this has been asked yet, but what about the places to eat like the Scandinavian bar and Big D's??? I really like hanging out in front of those on the beach and drinking a cold adult beverage and getting a good meal delivered to me.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I can only imagine how well that is going to work for the souvenir vendors with them being in two "malls" with one at each end of the beach. You walk into the mall and see 20 shops all selling the same paint by number art and plastic jewelry. Perhaps it will cause them to be a bit more creative?

How much did the selected businesses have to pay to be the fortunate ones "in the middle"?

For me, that beach as it is holds little attraction. It might be better after the changes.

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003
They should start with racking the whole beach. Place the two plazas at the two entrances of the beach as said and only have the eating and drinking establishments on the beach.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
They should start with racking the whole beach. Place the two plazas at the two entrances of the beach as said and only have the eating and drinking establishments on the beach.

Do you know this ? I have heard that also the bars / restaurants also will be placed i the malls.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
So if I need a drink I should walk all the way up to the plaza at the entrance of the beach !!?!?

What a mess, covering the bars and now this, do they really mean to f@*k up this town properly for good or is it all happening just by accident !?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I find it hard to believe that the caseta owners really agreed to this unless there was some major arm twisting involved. Who wants to go into some mall at the entrance of the beach? How will you get food and drink on the beach if you are not near the "couple of" restaurants in the centre? The whole thing makes no sense to me. It is an ill thought out, (like enclosing the bars on Pedro Clisante) attempt to make Sosua a faceless, boring place.

spmc

Nov 7, 2008
So the guy I rent my chair from will have to walk to the center of the beach to get me a drink?

This does not improve the experience of the guest with slower service, high prices due to less competition, etc.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
....some major arm twisting involved....

Don't quote me on it, but in the barber shop there were talking about two Russian contractors being the big money bidders behind the two plaza projects - you can imagine where their money comes from and they would be familiar in greasing the right palms to get what they want... !

Talking to some bar owners on the beach one of them said something interesting; "They don't want any of us poor people around - on the beach or anywhere in sight !!!"

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
About 3 years ago "the word on the street" was Sosua Beach (from the Ocean to the main Road) was in the process of being sold to a Hotel Chain and the vendors were not part of the deal. The chain would provide tourists with a mall inside the Hotel as well as varied international restaurants.
Saying that, (again 3 years ago) Charimicos was rumored to have been in the final phase of being sold to "Russian Investors". It was a 'done deal'.

Still waiting for both projects to surface!
:)

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
When I go to Sosua, I usually take a walk along the path by the bars, enjoying the atmosphere because it's completely different from the beach where I live (Cabarete), which I also enjoy for what it is. Sometimes I stop and have a drink or even a bite to eat in one of the many bars along the way. I'm not interested in the tat shops, but I just walk past those. What's the problem?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
OK - replace a few with some nice restaurants and make the beach safely accessible at night for the family crowd, so that they don't have to have the "horrors" of Pedro Clisante inflcted on them.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Don't quote me on it, but in the barber shop there were talking about two Russian contractors being the big money bidders behind the two plaza projects - you can imagine where their money comes from and they would be familiar in greasing the right palms to get what they want...

yeah, we can definitely imagine. because it is impossible for a russian to earn money by hard work, right?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
WOW, it's about time we can finally get a nice bowl of borscht on the beach.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Yeah well hard working russians usally eat beetroot and black bread twice a day....probably die at 52 with a bad back and blind from home made potatoe vodka..... slightly exaggerating but not far from truth, that is one *?$/@ ed up country.

Seriously speaking, u dont want russian co investors, I can tell u that.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
POP malecon, revisited. in the beginning, local ownership of casetas. ever so slowly, foreigners are taking over the show. Sosua; same deal...big money will call the shots, and name the tunes, and the local small fry will be selling crabs on a stick in Montellano.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Yeah well hard working russians usally eat beetroot and black bread twice a day....probably die at 52 with a bad back and blind from home made potatoe vodka.....

again with that. hard work does not have to be digging trenches in siberia. business owners and managers also work hard.