Help!!!!!!! Painting my house again

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
The paint on my house only lasts a short time (year or two) before it peels and turns black, especially the roof.
Its cement, two story with a pitched roof. I think its mildew that is ruining the paint and turning it black. The peeling I am guessing is from poor prep. Any painting experts here have an idea? Dominican wife says its from poor prep the first time painting and not mildew. Its time to do it again and I am tired of it.
My idea is that I need to thoroughly pressure clean and scrape the old paint off as much as possible, then smooth the surface and lastly wash with trisodium phosphate and then add anti mildew powder to the new paint. Am I missing something here? I am a mile or so from the beach and up on a hill.
Wife wants to cover the concrete roof with tile which will cost like $3000 USD. but would cover up the roof surface and look nice.
One last question. In the past I have bought the paint from the big paint supply store in P.P. down by the power plant. I am able to buy paint in the US and ship it down in a carton if necessary and the quality of the paint is part of the problem.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we are close to the ocean (few hundred meters at best) and we have to paint the house once every two years. it does not peel off or turn black, it's just regular maintenance. so maybe you will not gain much here it terms of frequency of applying new paint...

is it the whole building? just some areas? if isolated areas, are there any water pipes running there? what do you use of the roof? we use special paint that looks kinda rubbery. supposes to seal the roof better.

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013
I'd think living close to the water, there's nothing you can do about humidity and its effects on paint, short of using canned spray paint instead. :)

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
I think tucan is pretty good paint ,I've seen Glidden advertised but I've never seen it anywhere .

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I now use semi gloss paint and it lasts longer than a flat paint from the same company.

21yearsinDR

May 29, 2013
Hi, I am new to this forum. I am a woman and I am living in Costambar.
I had the same problems painting my house, but years ago I found a way to keep it nice for several years.
First you wash the surface with Clorox and water and let it dry. Any loose paint has to me removed.
When the walls are dry you paint them with a cheap roof primer from Lanco and all small cracks are sealed and the surface is smooth.
Then you paint twice with Lumpersider from Tropical Plus. This paint is slightly more expensive than normal flat paints and it is a little glossy. The gloss disappears after a while due to the sun, but the paint stays for several years. It is supposed to be anti fungus and it actually works very good for me. I only paint my house every 3 years now and I never have to remove old cracked paint..
I do not recommend the use of strong or dark colors if you use Lumpersider, because they fade because of the sun.
(As far as I know, you only get a good result with concrete sealer if you use this product on completely new walls - never painted before..)
Good Luck :classic:

21yearsinDR

May 29, 2013
The roof of my house is a Bermuda Roof (concrete) and because it had some small cracks I sealed it with burned tar ( tela asfaltica). A while afterwards I painted it with paint from Tropical Plus called Sidewalk. It is actually for concrete floors, driveways and sidewalks and very very strong. It comes in different colors. I think it is about 5 or 6 years ago and it is still looking good.
If you don’t have cracks or leaks in your roof you can wash it with acid ( acido muriatico) and clean water and then just paint it with the Sidewalk paint.. I painted my garage floor like this around 5 or 6 years ago and even the car, the dogs and the water have NOT been able to remove that paint…
(I buy the paint at Bordas in Puerto Plata beside the plant)