Any Scooter Repair Experts Out There?

sammy85430

Mar 31, 2004
I own an older(rebuilt) Yamaha Axis 100 scooter. For several months I rode around Bavaro without incident. But always short little trips here and there never more then a couple miles. It has always had tremendous zip and topped out about 62mph. One day, not by choice, I was forced to ride it over 6 miles one way without stopping. About 4 miles in the motor quit. After letting it sit a couple minutes it started right back up. But that only lasted a few minutes. The longer I let it sit the further it went without stopping. Obviously, it was over heating, it seemed. Got home safely and as long as I only take short trips I'm fine. Have noticed a decrease in zip though and runs just a little rough at times. Oil level fine. Nothing blocking exhaust that I see. Any ideas? And don't say yeah just take short trips lol!

banzai

Aug 16, 2013
trace the fuel line from the tank to the carb; you should find an in-line fuel filter. Try changing that!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
OK so if it were the fuel filter wouldn't it cause problems ALL the time? Not just after it gets hot? Just say in....

A partly clogged filter could allow the engine to run at idle, but not for long at higher RPMs.
Could be a carburetor float problem as well starving the engine.

Just about any moto mechanic should be able to quickly find your problem.