2-3 months in the DR

alaska1986

Hello all
Im currently in the DR and im enjoying my time so much that i am planning to stay somewhere between 2-3 months
The information on this board has been extremely helpful in the past so im here once again looking for advice.
Obviously my priority is to learn to save money and live like a local i plan to rent an apartment cook food in the house etc
The problem i foresee is that i want to explore the country which means id likely need a car and the gas here is expensive (do any cars here get 30-40mpg?) And id need to get a hotel practically anywhere i went.

What are your guys thoughts should i find a central location for a few weeks and explore the surrounding area? Or should i just pick a few destinations?
Im currently here in santiago in gurabo in an apartment jardines de llano but i only have the apartment and rental car til saturday. So if anyone has any contacts to someone with a good price on long terms rentals or apartment feel free to pm me.

Also approximately how much do you think id spend monthly , assuming im not buying chicas and really only going out to party on the weekends

Thanks in advance

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Cars like a Kia Picanto get good gas mileage. They are common rentals here.

I would pick a few destinations so you can see various locations without a lot of round trip travelling. Caribe Tours and Metro Bus are very practical ways to get to different areas.

As for your monthly expenses as a single person that depends greatly on so many factors during a short stay it is hard to estimate.

I also sent you a private message.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I don't think you can get 30-40 MPG in any car here in DR. Fuel is of poor quality, so cars that are supposed to give you that mileage per gallon usually end up giving you 20-22 at most.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
There aren't many places you can't get to (or really close to) using Caribe or Metro, as well as the smaller regional buses. Unless you want to stop in every town, or do some serious off-the-beaten-path exploring, those are the best and cheapest ways of getting around. In addition, local cab service is very inexpensive.

In terms of seeing the country, it depends on what your interest is. The usual suspect "touristy" spots include

Santo Domingo and Juan Dolio to the south;

La Romana and Punta Cana to the east;

Puerto Plata, Sosua, Cabarete, Rio San Juan, Cabrera and Samana to the North(east); and

Jarabacoa and Santiago in the middle.

All are nice, fun, generally touristy spots.

I've grouped them together because, with the exception of Samana, they can all be visited with short trips from a central city. For example, if you stay in Cabarete, you can easily do the rest of the north coast towns, none of which are more than an hour away.

Most all towns have "apartahotels" which are basically extra large hotel rooms with kitchenettes. You'll find they are cheaper than hotel rooms if you stay for more than a few days. This will likely be less expensive than renting a car and paying full price for an ever-changing list of hotels.

However, if that's what you want, we can probably help there, too.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
Be very careful and think twice (and then think twice again!) about a car. I believe your USA (Alaska, right?) drivers license is only valid here in the DR for the first 30 days of your visit (and it sounds like you've already exceeded that time period).
Should you be stopped by the police, or even worse, be involved in an accident, the lack of a valid drivers license could be a big problem for you.
Besides, if you want to live frugally, travel like the locals do. Bus, gua-gua, and caritto. Cheap and fairly efficient (and the Metro and Caribe Tout busses are even comfortable!).
Enjoy your travels.

alaska1986

thanks all
anyone that is in santiago or puerto plata that is willing to meet up and have a few beers and provide me some advise on whether i need a visa cedula license etc that would be much appreciated. also im confused on whether i need to tell the government customs or whatever that im here for 3 months because i originally wrote 7 days on the form at the airport

my cell is 849 261 6750 or my whatsapp contact number is 907 317 2030
thanks!!