Food Cost Single Male

Feb 15, 2005
Hello Islanders,

A quick question for those living in and around Sosua. Since I'm not there year around and a retired friend wants to know:

What would be the standard, not fancy, monthly food cost for a single older gentleman? Always thank you.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
depends on your preference, really. and i am not talking a love for caviar and kobe beef. will you eat local foods? you have weaknesses for american products (assuming you are from the USA) or european goods?

all local stuff is cheap. all imported is expensive. we eat a combination of the two and spend 100 dollars a week on food and basics (just supermarket, no outings). so i would say from 50 to 75 dollars a week.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
no. i said we pay 100 dollars a week for two. for one it will be at least half, so 50 to 75. and that is a combination of local and imported. why do i say "at least half"? because you will still have to buy some stuff in the same containers/packages as we do. we will take less time to eat it but the initial price will be the same.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
no problem. allow 10 dollars a day, i guess. this will be both suitable for home cooking (nicer food) and for eating out daily (dominican basic).

few days ago we made a dinner for a friend and bought a nice beef fillet. 20 dollars, 4 pounds of meat. we ate it all in one go (for 3 people). in a restaurant it would be 20 dollars per one. and damn, yes, the beef was soft. marinated for 3 days.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i always get snacks, beer and water from the supermercado. i mostly eat dominican which cost usually 100 pesos or less.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
i always get snacks, beer and water from the supermercado. i mostly eat dominican which cost usually 100 pesos or less.

Where can you eat for 100 Pesos these days?
1/2 a chicken is 125-130 RD Pesos.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
I was thinking $100US FOR two and translating that to approximately 4000RDP and thinking we spend more than that each week when we're there, easily -- but then almost every trip to the colmado or 'super' does include beer and or rum. Hmmm. But then too it's sometimes almost as economical to eat out as cook in.

I would say, speaking as an older man with no claim to being a gentleman, that $75 a week for one person who was prepared to shop around would be more realistic for in-house food and other groceries -- before alcoholic beverages -- and I'd be eating out a few times a week on top of that.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
very few places have plato del dia at less than 130-150 pesos. maybe ken means tostada or riki or a pica pollo. but la bandera is no longer that cheap...

one can eat dominican but it will still be 10 dollars a day, not including alcohol. tostada with juice and coffee for breakfast, then plato del dia with refresco and in the evening 2 or 3 empanadas with a refresco. but this is monotonous food.

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
$50 a week sounds about right. Contrary to myth established in USA i think it is cheaper to buy the healthy foods than all the unhealthy processed junk food alot of which is imported. Emphasize the local fruits, vegetables. My main expensive imports are canned sardines and vino.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
dv8 is spot on, as usual.
I'm a single male, but I eat out at least once a day, nothing fancy, just plato del dia somewhere or some fast food when need be. My food budget is us$250 a month. That includes cleaning products and regular stuff you need to buy at the supermarket to keep my cave, er, apartment clean. I live in SD, so I guess it's pretty much the same anywhere.

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
Richard Alberto. Sadly your friend cannot afford to live here.
Tell him, "It's a nightmare waiting to happen, I swear to God."
ANYONE who has to ask what the cost of food is for a month, hits back that it's cheaper in Charamicos, simply will not be able to afford the day-to-day living costs that is on offer on the North Coast.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
30 pounds of rice, 15 pounds of beans, 30 eggs, occasional chicken, some local fruit and vegetables all are cheap. Estimate $150 a month. If you really want to save money get used to the tainted water, after a few weeks of illness you can drink the tap water.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
30 pounds of rice, 15 pounds of beans, 30 eggs, occasional chicken, some local fruit and vegetables all are cheap. Estimate $150 a month.

Feb 15, 2005
Probably not. But I offered to ask. When I'm there I don't worry about day to day but everyone's different. Also the part about the Charamicos was for a reply, not that I'm above having a good dish of local baked chicken n rice&beans.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
first of all it is good to ask so one can be more specific with the budget: how much for basics, how much for living quarters, how much for transport and so on. one reads all sorts of stuff, even on DR, in regards to prices. some say cheap cheap, others say expensive. some like simple stuff, others like imported. so it's good to ask ballpark numbers.

second, yes, if you have to count every penny DR is not for you. not that you cannot lead a simple life: many do and many did. if you want to save the world one solar oven at a time, like yabadabadu (RIP) you will be happy here. but if you are an average dude, wanting to cut down costs then think it over. if you need to budget 100 pesos for lunch then what will you do in case of a sickness, accident, arrest?

furthermore, it's good to be frugal. plato del dia is a decent meal that will fill you up. but it's damn stupid to eat the same stuff over and over again, unless it's a cheesecake made by the gorgon. in sosua i would prefer to eat lunch in cafe tropical. for 250 pesos you can have a plate of meat/fish, veggies and salad. plentiful and varied food. every day something different. granted, it's a lot more than 100 pesos but it is also a nicer food and you sit in a cool, air conditioned place. great deal.

Jeepito

Dec 22, 2011
Local stuff

Richard Alberto. Sadly your friend cannot afford to live here.
Tell him, "It's a nightmare waiting to happen, I swear to God."
ANYONE who has to ask what the cost of food is for a month, hits back that it's cheaper in Charamicos, simply will not be able to afford the day-to-day living costs that is on offer on the North Coast.

I find that the local seafood is very affordable as well as the fruit and produce. However, I have to agree with J&Ts; if I'm having to worry about whether or not I'll need to miss a meal or two while rusticating in DR I'd rather stay home.