Life expectancy in DR is 73.7 years

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
If it wasn't for motorcycles and salami frito, life expectancy would be 100.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
donde menos esperanza de vida hay es en Hait?, con apenas 38 a?os; mientras donde m?s se vive es en Costa Rica: llegan a los 79.4 a?os

I really expect better from HOY DIGITAL

The life expectancy in Haiti is 62

Life expectancy at birth, total (years) | Data | Table

that is ONE HECK of a TYPO

I cannot be bothered to even write the reported on what is probably some sort of disinformation campaign....

wow.. 38!!

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
To make a long story short:

God created the Dominican, and told him, "You are Dominican. You shall swing from tree to tree, acting like an idiot. You will be funny, and you shall live for 73.7 years."

Ok, for those who have no sense of humor, this was sarcastic. Don't start b#tching about this.

On a serious note, I think that 73.7 years life expectancy is fantastic for the country with bad water quality, air pollution, lack of medical services for poor people, etc.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
good catch, MA. i did think that 38 was low but it did not sound completely unrealistic...

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
good catch, MA. i did think that 38 was low but it did not sound completely unrealistic...
If it's realistic for Zambia, Swaziland or Angola, it could be realistic for Haiti too. At least 38 sounds more realistic than 62.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
that's what i said, "did not sound unrealistic". 62 is not off either, those must be haitians living in DR :devious:

May 29, 2006
The low Haiti number must be the year of the earthquake.

1240096_10201661835045169_747259308_n.jpg

Life expectancy data are affected by childhood mortality so it's very often not a good indicator of how long people generally live if they make it past age five.

1184933_10201661858605758_545019437_n.jpg

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The old-timers in DR lived a long time.

Mr. AE's paternal grandfather was 106 and grandmother was 100, maternal grandmother mid-80s, paternal grandfather died young, 60ish I believe.

I bet many of today's Dominicans, with the different eating habits inspired by foreigners [okay, mostly the US] won't see the impressive ages of their ancestors.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i do not believe those stories of old timers living over 100 years old, all the time. i spoke to few dominicans and each of them says their grandparents lived well over 100. i call BS. back in those days they had few documents confirming date of birth, if any. and most folks, especially in the campo, had no clue as to what year they were born.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
i do not believe those stories of old timers living over 100 years old, all the time. i spoke to few dominicans and each of them says their grandparents lived well over 100. i call BS. back in those days they had few documents confirming date of birth, if any. and most folks, especially in the campo, had no clue as to what year they were born.

You could be right, but remember that I do genealogy dv8. I have their birth certificates. The grandfather died before I came into the family, but I knew the grandmother for 3 years. I'll always remember her birth and death, because our son was born on her 100th birthday, and she died the day we landed in SD when our son was 5 months old, she was waiting to meet her first great-grandson. It was my introduction into Dominican funerals - she had planned ahead and had her casket standing up in the corner of a bedroom. They laid her out in the livingroom. Quite a surprise for the gringa.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
again, i call BS. you remember the story - i think from chiri - about a family member who passed her life as her dead sister? because so it happened that one of the kids died roughly at the same time another was born? the death was never registered and neither was the birth. therefore the birth certificate of a younger child showed the real birth date of the older one, who died in infancy. so i still do not believe those massive numbers of dominicans who lived until old and crispy.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i will add that in the 1960 life expectancy in DR was 52 years:
HISTORY OF LIFE EXPECTANCY
so while some might have lived long, majority did not. and yes, maybe the food was better but diseases were rampant and the access to hospitals, medicine and doctors was low.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You could be right dv8. I'm thinking it's probably very true with campesinos, some of them were probably never even registered. I can tell you that there's a guy who lives near us in DR who is 62, and looks about 90, I can see how it can happen that people think they are a lot older than they are.

But I'm thinking that the families from the Canary Islands/Spain/Europe - like your in-laws and mine - are a different story, I bet their records are a lot more accurate.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
You could be right dv8. I'm thinking it's probably very true with campesinos, some of them were probably never even registered. I can tell you that there's a guy who lives near us in DR who is 62, and looks about 90, I can see how it can happen that people think they are a lot older than they are.

But I'm thinking that the families from the Canary Islands/Spain/Europe - like your in-laws and mine - are a different story, I bet their records are a lot more accurate.

My wife has 5 aunts, and one great aunt that are still alive. The youngest of those is 81.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
maybe in america, AE :) but do not forget that europe was at war twice in the last century. many records were destroyed. and most of pre war poland, for example, was rural. hard campo life destroyed body quickly. so again, long lives may be anecdotal... my grandfathers lived longer than their wives, which in itself is quite unusual. and i think they both died at eighty something. certainly they looked like the crypt keeper for as long as i can remember :)