Termites!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
is it the wooden floor? yeah, kick out cats, dogs and wives and fumigate the hell of this place.

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
chemical

Can anyone suggest a good product or people in the North Coast area for getting rid of Termites in my home?

These are nasty critters,- getting rid of them is important. We bought chlorcyrin 22 EC from an agrovet supply place in Cabrera. Wear gloves to mix and spray and a good gas mask if you can get it,- we couldn't so made sure we had good ventilation when using it. This will do it for you,- but be vigilante,- you can control these pests but never eradicate them totally,- they own this country.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
It won't be of any comfort to you HR but when I lived in the cabin back in Haiti, I used to knock the termite tunnel off the wood planking in the morning and they would have it built back up by night.. or perhaps it was visa versa.. but they work very fast.. trust that the bulk of your house is concrete.

they must not like palm or else there would not be so many palm houses standing.. Maybe just the porch overhang?

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Harleysrock,
There is a Benibio Product on the shelves here - in the brown label bottle - De la Madera . Quite cheap and available in most place -Playero, Janets etc . It is effective on nests and trails. But if you have it in the woodwork of your property it is much more difficult and someone else suggested fumigation bombs from la Serena as a first attmpt. There is a good fumigation compny in International Plaza on the N5 just outside Sosua toward Cabarete. They are effective but expensive!

Olly and the Team

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Call Walter: 829 677-4340
About 800 pesos for the whole yard and house...every 3 months at least.

He does not speak English....maybe you can muddle through, don't know.
Good family, honest, you don't need to be home, just give him full access.
Takes less than an hour on a regular sized place.

May 29, 2006
I recently saw this crazy documentary about a tribal elder in Africa who was helping someone with termites. Somehow he wrangled an ant colony that has termites as it's favorite food into the house and in a matter of hours, the ants had devoured the entire colony. It's a bit of chore to watch, but interesting to see some tribal wisdom at work.

NOVA - Master of the Killer Ants 1/4 - YouTube

Call Walter: 829 677-4340
About 800 pesos for the whole yard and house...every 3 months at least.

He does not speak English....maybe you can muddle through, don't know.
Good family, honest, you don't need to be home, just give him full access.
Takes less than an hour on a regular sized place.

ty, I will call him on Monday. We need someone to do it since their is a lot of wood in this stupid house. I can't wait to get rid of these wood floors! HATE THEM HERE!!!!
I'll get the wife to call since she speaks decent Spanish :) 800 pesos seems really cheap to me, so if it works GREAT!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
To get rid of termites the right way, they have to dig a ditch around your house and pour in solution. Then drill tiny holes in floors and electrical sockets and insert poison. It does not cost 800 pesos. If it's the real deal, you're talking more like 25,000 pesos.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
You won't know until maybe next May about the termites. That's when they swarm, especially during the rain.

Swarming means they're looking for another place to eat. Those are kinda sorta scouts.

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
I hate termites!!! We have had them 2x in a condo, 2nd floor, yuck! We used an exterminator, the price
was more than reasonable and very effective.

Dubcreator

Sep 15, 2013
Belgium
There's always the option of the Aardvark who will eat thousands of termites in one night!:devious:
Or white ants, they also like termites, but then you will have other little critters in your home, how's that for a solution!
No kidding, the best you can do is to find an Ex-terminator, and I'm not talking about Schwarzie, products for sale to the public are hardly efficient:ermm:
Good luck!

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Is there a wood in the DR that is resistant to termites? Isn't the front of D'Latins made out of wood posts? What kind of wood is that? (No, not trying to turn this into a puta/close in the bar fronts topic) I want a wooden front porch on my next home.

I really dislike those concrete posts and railings. But if I have to, I'll make them look like rustic wood and paint them brown.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Is there a wood in the DR that is resistant to termites? Isn't the front of D'Latins made out of wood posts? What kind of wood is that? (No, not trying to turn this into a puta/close in the bar fronts topic) I want a wooden front porch on my next home.

I really dislike those concrete posts and railings. But if I have to, I'll make them look like rustic wood and paint them brown.

The only woods in DR that I know of that are naturally termite resistant are mahogany/caoba and andiroba. Andiroba is similar to caoba, slightly less expensive.