Cruise port

HS10

Feb 17, 2008
I was there this week. I saw two big cranes dredging in the bay.

champ

Dec 2, 2006
That cruise port is the only slim chance the north coast has a shot at a better future,the local business community and the government has screwed everything up till now,

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Champ - so why do YOU want to know ?

Olly and the Team

PS - I know the status and schedule !

raquelbelle

Aug 8, 2013
I was down there at the beach a few days ago. Lots going on, and lots done since I was there in June. Dredging and beams up, large roadway of some sort off the main road. Little shop fronts on the beach open and running, although that has probably been for awhile. I'm new, so only have the few points of reference, but it looked like they were in full swing to me.

champ

Dec 2, 2006
I own real estate on the north coast and it would be nice to see a sellable market

21yearsinDR

May 29, 2013
I am afraid that most business will stay INSIDE the port area once they have finished.
Some excursions might benefit and the center of Puerto Plata too. But they will have a big problem, because Puerto Plata is not at all prepared to receive - let’s say 2000 or maybe 3000 tourists - all at the same time. The asses to the city is too small, not enough busses and not enough taxis. And who will invest in 10 or 20 buses to be used only 5 months a year??
The piers will not be constructed here I was told. They will be build somewhere else and then shipped to Maimon and installed . The same with other installations (I was told)
But who knows??? If so, it will be quick..
I really don’t think that the Real Estate market will benefit much from that Cruise port, because the tourists might only stay for ? a day and they will join whatever they can buy a ticket for before they arrive…
I went on a Cruise years back . It was fun and nice, but what did I really see?? Not that much actually.. Yes, the port in Aruba - an excursion in Guadalupe, but nowhere enough to be able to think about buying a property.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I am afraid that most business will stay INSIDE the port area once they have finished.
Some excursions might benefit and the center of Puerto Plata too. But they will have a big problem, because Puerto Plata is not at all prepared to receive - let’s say 2000 or maybe 3000 tourists - all at the same time. The asses to the city is too small, not enough busses and not enough taxis. And who will invest in 10 or 20 buses to be used only 5 months a year??
The piers will not be constructed here I was told. They will be build somewhere else and then shipped to Maimon and installed . The same with other installations (I was told)
I really don’t think that the Real Estate market will benefit much from that Cruise port, because the tourists might only stay for ? a day and they will join whatever they can buy a ticket for before they arrive…
I went on a Cruise years back . It was fun and nice, but what did I really see?? Not that much actually.. Yes, the port in Aruba - an excursion in Guadalupe, but nowhere enough to be able to think about buying a property.

great posting. the big problem with Maimon is the Golden Rule. he who has the gold makes the rules. this venture is not like Falmouth in Jamaica, where the Jamaican government spent 165 million as their contribution. the DR has nothing invested, so Carnival will just about dictate to the DR which crumbs it will get.

21yearsinDR

May 29, 2013
Exactly ! Carnival will decide everything together with their partners. I was also told, that they are considering bringing Jamaican investors to the Dom. Rep. in order to get the same adventure excursions and parks like they run in Jamaica. Apparently investors that they thrust from Jamaica and have experience working with?
They don?t care about the Dominicans or the local business here.
I just hope that the Dominican Government will defend the local tourist industry - although I doubt it..
If they really want to fix the situation at the North Coast other things have to be done. We need better hotels for example and decent airport prices (taxes) among a lot of other things..

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Exactly ! Carnival will decide everything together with their partners. I was also told, that they are considering bringing Jamaican investors to the Dom. Rep. in order to get the same adventure excursions and parks like they run in Jamaica. Apparently investors that they thrust from Jamaica and have experience working with…
They don’t care about the Dominicans or the local business here.
I just hope that the Dominican Government will defend the local tourist industry - although I doubt it..
If they really want to fix the situation at the North Coast other things have to be done. We need better hotels for example and decent airport prices (taxes) among a lot of other things..

the Jamaican hotel boys do have a leg up on the Dominicans. that should be, because they have been around the game a lot longer. secondly, they have two of the most creative, innovative sets of minds in tourism , anywhere. Butch Stewart and the Issa brothers are in a class by themselves. Sandals and Superclubs explains why i say that. i firmly believe in regional cooperation, and i think it is a good idea to get the input of those guys here.

Mar 30, 2006

The ground handler for excursions will handle the buses! They don't own they rent from companies such as metro etc! How do you think tourists are shipped from the airport? Ok right now a flight might only bring in 300 people at a time but back in the day we were getting 4 or flights down at the same time! Buses are not an issue! Treatment of Tourists and crime is more of a worry!

Mar 30, 2006
Some excursions might benefit and the center of Puerto Plata too. But they will have a big problem, because Puerto Plata is not at all prepared to receive - let?s say 2000 or maybe 3000 tourists - all at the same time. The asses to the city is too small, not enough busses and not enough taxis. And who will invest in 10 or 20 buses to be used only 5 months a year??
I really don?t think that the Real Estate market will benefit much from that Cruise port, because the tourists might only stay for ? a day and they will join whatever they can buy a ticket for before they arrive?

The ground handler for excursions will handle the buses! They don't own they rent from companies such as metro etc! How do you think tourists are shipped from the airport? Ok right now a flight might only bring in 300 people at a time but back in the day we were getting 4 or flights down at the same time! Buses are not an issue! Treatment of Tourists and crime is more of a worry!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the crime against tourist is not a problem. turistas rarely get robbed or attacked.

buses and infrastructure are more relevant, however. hauling the numbers is nothing in comparison to the greed and demands made by transport unions, sundicalistas and so on. i would not be surprised to see carnival set up their own transport and trips, instead of using existing facilities.

Mar 30, 2006
the crime against tourist is not a problem. turistas rarely get robbed or attacked.

buses and infrastructure are more relevant, however. hauling the numbers is nothing in comparison to the greed and demands made by transport unions, sundicalistas and so on. i would not be surprised to see carnival set up their own transport and trips, instead of using existing facilities.

Tourists rarely get robbed???? Maybe you should check with some of the Tour Operators! The amount is increasing all the time. Tourists strolling along beach etc! Maybe you don't get to hear that kind of info.

Carnival will make a contract with a Ground Handler. This is already under negotiation and as far as I am aware confirmed.