Animal Slaughter !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Hi Folks,

I wanted to know what the law is in the DR when it comes to slaughtering animals on your property....Today, I heard something that sounded human, screaming its head off for at least 20 minutes...I ran around my apartment looking out every window thinking my neighbors Horse was stuck in something..NO! I then saw 2 idiots holding a pig down while slicing its neck!!!!!! I'm so peod!! and upset at the same time, total animal lover here!!

My God!! This poor pig was screaming!!! I'm so serious when I say it sounded human..I'm really busted up about it, my view was too good, saw the whole damn thing and wish I never did!!..How can they do this right in their backyard??? Shoot it!! I see no reason why to do what they did!! I have seen a few slaughter houses on TV with Cows, they die quickly..My guess is, they had no clue what they were doing or whatever, really trying to get it out of my mind, but I would like to know the law on this here in the DR

Thanks

Skynet

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
You are in their country

The law is there is no law. "I see no reason why to do what they did" .....They were doing what they have always been doing, preparing it to sell or to have their own roast. You are not going to change their ways, you are in their country. Suggest if you see them in the future ask them to advise you when they are going to do a slaughter so you can disappear from the area for a while.

Regards,

PJT

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
At least they were using a knife. I witnessed a large one being killed on a beach with several bats/wooden clubs. I was horrified, and I grew up partly on my grandparents' farm, so I'm almost immune to animals like cows/calfs/chickens/etc. being killed. This was beyond awful.

PJT is absolutely right. None of us are going to change they way they've done things for generations.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
We wake up to that noise regularly as the big cocinero and pig roaster lives at the bottom of our hill.

He kills them, hangs them to drain, guts them and then cooks them.
I have watched.... its not pretty.
But the finished product is good ....

May 29, 2006
Welcome to the rest of the world. You're not in Kansas anymore, Dorothy.

When I was in the Pacific Islands, I was working for a friend who had a retail store with apartments in the back for me and his Filipina store manager. We had two dogs, mostly to deter overnight break-ins. One day, my friend came into the back of the store and there was one of the dogs hanging from a tri-pod, gut pile on some cardboard with flies everywhere and in the process of being skinned. The manager had a niece who was having a birthday party and the dog was going to be the main course. She kept the other dog because he was a bit nicer.

You may want to avoid watching the Dominican movie, La Soga.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I also witnessed the slaughter of a pig years ago in the DR. I was traumatized for a long time
from hearing the squeals of the pig. I couldn't eat pork for quite some time afterwards.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Thank you.....I have other issues in this apartment anyways, will be moving at ends Month...I guess I will be sure to take a good look around to stay away from this! I was a huge ham lover, I will no longer being eating ham....This is a serious matter overall for us who never seen or wants to see this, reason why there are slaughterhouses in the USA, but like some said, I know where I am, just had no idea they did st!t like this right at home.,...Makes me sick...Thank you again for the heads up on the no law here, much appreciated

Anthony

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
I just said the exact same thing, must of posted at the same time...I totally agree with you!! I doubt I will be eating ham ever again though..

I also witnessed the slaughter of a pig years ago in the DR. I was traumatized for a long time
from hearing the squeals of the pig. I couldn't eat pork for quite some time afterwards.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
I just said the exact same thing, must of posted at the same time...I totally agree with you!! I doubt I will be eating ham ever again though..

It?s so funny how people enjoy a good steak or a pork chop but faint when they see a little blood.
How do you think a steak or a pork chop is made? You think that things are different in slaughter houses? Please

Rafael Perez

Oct 21, 2007
Hi Folks,

I wanted to know what the law is in the DR when it comes to slaughtering animals on your property....Today, I heard something that sounded human, screaming its head off for at least 20 minutes...I ran around my apartment looking out every window thinking my neighbors Horse was stuck in something..NO! I then saw 2 idiots holding a pig down while slicing its neck!!!!!! I'm so peod!! and upset at the same time, total animal lover here!!

My God!! This poor pig was screaming!!! I'm so serious when I say it sounded human..I'm really busted up about it, my view was too good, saw the whole damn thing and wish I never did!!..How can they do this right in their backyard??? Shoot it!! I see no reason why to do what they did!! I have seen a few slaughter houses on TV with Cows, they die quickly..My guess is, they had no clue what they were doing or whatever, really trying to get it out of my mind, but I would like to know the law on this here in the DR

Thanks

Skynet

Pretty gruesome, huh. It kind of reminds people that life is not full of unicorns and rainbows. It's terrible, because the way I seen pigs getting slaughtered there, is by being stabbed in the heart. The throat slithering, prolongs its suffering. You would not like to hear how they kill cows.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
It?s so funny how people enjoy a good steak or a pork chop but faint when they see a little blood.
How do you think a steak or a pork chop is made? You think that things are different in slaughter houses? Please

Yes things are way different in slaughter houses.
1- they stun the animals first
2- the workers use a 22 round to shoot the animals on the base of the neck to cause immediate death.
This process is done to help stop panic so the animal doesn't pump more blood into the legs and profitable meat parts. Less blood in those parts its easier to drain and better meat.
But watching anything die for me is a horrible sight.

snowqueen

Dec 15, 2004
Its one thing to humanely slaughter an animal. However, if it is screaming for 20 minutes, that to me implies a very inhumane death and that these fellows hadn't a clue what they were doing. I would have a very hard time listening to that

May 29, 2006
Yes things are way different in slaughter houses.
1- they stun the animals first
2- the workers use a 22 round to shoot the animals on the base of the neck to cause immediate death.
This process is done to help stop panic so the animal doesn't pump more blood into the legs and profitable meat parts. Less blood in those parts its easier to drain and better meat.
But watching anything die for me is a horrible sight.

They actually use a pneumatic piston like in No Country for Old Men, then they are hung and bled out while still alive.

There's an autistic woman in the US who has revolutionized slaughter houses to make them more human. She's able to empathize with the animals more so they are less stress as they are on their way to the kill rooms. Good movie about her too:

Temple Grandin (TV Movie 2010) - IMDb

Here's a brief short on her:
The Cow Whisperer - USA - YouTube

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
you are spot on!!!!

Thank You!

Its one thing to humanely slaughter an animal. However, if it is screaming for 20 minutes, that to me implies a very inhumane death and that these fellows hadn't a clue what they were doing. I would have a very hard time listening to that

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Just a thought for those who seem to know about this here in the DR, is there a reason why they just don't shoot it?? I have a Gun, I was so beside myself to go over there and put it out of its poor misery..But, I was concerned that it would have turned ugly if I had...And as for Cows, I have seen all of the Faces Of Death Movies...Cows go very quickly!!! This poor pig was moving all about, screaming!!!!!!!! seemed forever!! I am still not at ease with it all and I'm not the squeamish type..I was a Vet Tech for a few Years, assisted in many surgeries which just says one thing about me, I'm an Animal lover...aren't most of us?? Seems to me they have the names wrong, for I have never seen any animal turn on their owner after being yelled at or even hit! They always come back to you with all the love in their hearts no matter what.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Not everyone in the DR can afford a gun and bullets cost money.(of which there is always a shortage):tired:

So, a simple cuchillo or machete will do for the locals.:rolleyes: :D