I need beer !!!!!!!!!

Los Lobos

Mar 8, 2011
Good Morning Santo Domingo

Arrived to SD on Friday to find that someone at the airport helped them selves to some stuff in my luggage. Nothing important but a violation of my privacy none the less. Got Claro to come out and do the package phone, cable internet thing. Guy comes and hooks up the phone and internet. I wasn't around to check when he did it so next day I checked and no internet. Quick call and an apology from Claro I was up and running. But what about cable? Oh that guy will come Monday to install. SO my TV is staring at me. Purchased a mini split AC from Plaza Llama and they came to install it yesterday. BUT the power was out and they couldn't test it. Of course when power came back on something was not quite right so I slept last night with a nice AC staring at me. Neighbors dog barks constantly at night. I don't approve of animal cruelty but I m starting to understand why some people do what they do to some dogs. Train the dog. Cats and other dogs are not going to steal from you but maybe your dog thinks they are going to steal from them. Well back to working on the house. Love it here.

Los Lobos

I NEED BEER !!

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Swim with the current

It comes with the territory, get used to these occurances, swim with the current not against it and you will survive.

Welcome to the DR.:classic:

Regards,

PJT

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
HAHA...funny stuff! Love it. now I'm going to tell you a true story that my old neighbors in Sosua can easily confirm.

I can relate to the barking dog problem. I don't approve of animal cruelty either, but, when i lived in Sosua for 6 years a few years back, our Dominican neighbor left his dog out all night long where it barked non-stop in a marathon madness with other neighborhood dogs. I was absolutely amazed by this particular dogs vocal chords. the dog barked non-stop, all night long in marathon that bordered on complete madness; the dog even barked while urinating. I'm not kidding. i don't think i ever witnessed this dog taking a break ever to rest his vocal chords. I don't even think i ever saw the dog drink water or swallow.

After speaking to the Dominican owner numerous times, I was left with no alternative but to take matters into my own hands. But first, let me confess something: sometimes i'm not right in the head. I started pepper spraying this dog every evening directly into his mouth. Every time he barked i came flying out of my apartment with a gas mask on that my retired fireman friend, Paul, loaned me, and then proceeded to pepper spray the dog directly into his larynx and crotch area. It got to the point where i even had to pepper spray the Dominican owner as well. Yeah, he called the police on me numerous times. I didn't care. I peppered them too when they showed up.

Sometimes, you have no choice but to think like Charles Bronson and take matters into your own hands. You got to go into combat mode. you got to go native on them and think out of the box. After several douses of pepper spray, i can assure you, the dog, the stupid owner, and anyone else in the immediate vicinity--including your wife--will flee in the opposite direction every time they see you coming down the road. They will have the fear of god in them. and trust me, whenever someone see's you with a can of pepper spray in your hand, they will shut up. Negative reinforcement has this kind of effect on animals and unruly people.

You can condition anyone and anything with enough pepper spray. You can even condition your wife or girlfriend by pepper spraying them directly into the eyes, crotch, and mouth area. Give them a good, liberal douse. Don't be stingy or frugal. Its very effective if used right. I highly recommend it. My neighbors, girlfriend, and pet monkey are all properly trained now. It took a lot of cans of pepper to get them to see the logic, to see the light, but in the end, people come around to your way of thinking and reasoning when they know your holding a live hand grenade in your hand, with the safety switch off.

I suggest you stock up.

Love Frank

Last edited:

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
HAHA...funny stuff! Love it. now I'm going to tell you a true story that my old neighbors in Sosua can easily confirm.

I can relate to the barking dog problem. I don't approve of animal cruelty either, but, when i lived in Sosua for 6 years a few years back, our Dominican neighbor left his dog out all night long where it barked non-stop in a marathon madness with other neighborhood dogs. I was absolutely amazed by this particular dogs vocal chords. the dog barked non-stop, all night long in marathon that bordered on complete madness; the dog even barked while urinating. I'm not kidding. i don't think i ever witnessed this dog taking a break ever to rest his vocal chords. I don't even think i ever saw the dog drink water or swallow.

After speaking to the Dominican owner numerous times, I was left with no alternative but to take matters into my own hands. But first, let me confess something: sometimes i'm not right in the head. I started pepper spraying this dog every evening directly into his mouth. Every time he barked i came flying out of my apartment with a gas mask on that my retired fireman friend, Paul, loaned me, and then proceeded to pepper spray the dog directly into his larynx and crotch area. It got to the point where i even had to pepper spray the Dominican owner as well. Yeah, he called the police on me numerous times. I didn't care. I peppered them too when they showed up.

Sometimes, you have no choice but to think like Charles Bronson and take matters into your own hands. You got to go into combat mode. you got to go native on them and think out of the box. After several douses of pepper spray, i can assure you, the dog, the stupid owner, and anyone else in the immediate vicinity--including your wife--will flee in the opposite direction every time they see you coming down the road. They will have the fear of god in them. and trust me, whenever someone see's you with a can of pepper spray in your hand, they will shut up. Negative reinforcement has this kind of effect on animals and unruly people.

You can condition anyone and anything with enough pepper spray. You can even condition your wife or girlfriend by pepper spraying them directly into the eyes, crotch, and mouth area. Give them a good, liberal douse. Don't be stingy or frugal. Its very effective if used right. I highly recommend it. My neighbors, girlfriend, and pet monkey are all properly trained now. It took a lot of cans of pepper to get them to see the logic, to see the light, but in the end, people come around to your way of thinking and reasoning when they know your holding a live hand grenade in your hand, with the safety switch off.

I suggest you stock up.

Love Frank
There you go again making my day. I knew I could count on you on a cool Montreal morning.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
There's an old American truism called Murphy's Law, i.e., if something can go wrong, it will. And so, if we know how things can go wrong (in the DR or anywhere else, for that matter), then shouldn't we employ counter measures for minimizing the risks? I'm just sayin'. :)

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Los Lobos that is life in Santo Domingo on a good day....lol.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Beer for the little things, rum for the big ones. Always keep supplied.

I remember very well my adjustment period. My first apartment did not have an inverter. I was so happy to find microwave popcorn at the store. Got home, put it in the microwave, and slowly it dawned on me that the microwave doesn't work when there is no electricity. Now, I have an inverter but no microwave and no air conditioning.

Welcome to the good life.

The only thing that bothers me anymore are the idiots who don't know how to dim their lights and the motorcycles without headlights. I drive after dark only when necessary.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Beer for the little things, rum for the big ones. Always keep supplied.

I remember very well my adjustment period. My first apartment did not have an inverter. I was so happy to find microwave popcorn at the store. Got home, put it in the microwave, and slowly it dawned on me that the microwave doesn't work when there is no electricity. Now, I have an inverter but no microwave and no air conditioning.

Welcome to the good life.

The only thing that bothers me anymore are the idiots who don't know how to dim their lights and the motorcycles without headlights. I drive after dark only when necessary.
You need a rather heavy inverter to have your microwave work with it.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
to Los Lobos:

Ogden Nash once wrote: "The 1 L lama, he's a priest (also a merchant in the DR): the 2 L llama, he's a beast....'"

Just in case.

FYI: Now you know why many Dominicans have their bags wrapped up in plastic when they travel--especially to Sto Domingo or Puerto Plata...

HB

nomis

Jan 22, 2010
And after your cable is working well, like ours was...and the sound goes away:
1) call Claro 8 times OR....
2) unplug the box and plug back into the wall
AND it works!

Good Morning Santo Domingo

Arrived to SD on Friday to find that someone at the airport helped them selves to some stuff in my luggage. Nothing important but a violation of my privacy none the less. Got Claro to come out and do the package phone, cable internet thing. Guy comes and hooks up the phone and internet. I wasn't around to check when he did it so next day I checked and no internet. Quick call and an apology from Claro I was up and running. But what about cable? Oh that guy will come Monday to install. SO my TV is staring at me. Purchased a mini split AC from Plaza Llama and they came to install it yesterday. BUT the power was out and they couldn't test it. Of course when power came back on something was not quite right so I slept last night with a nice AC staring at me. Neighbors dog barks constantly at night. I don't approve of animal cruelty but I m starting to understand why some people do what they do to some dogs. Train the dog. Cats and other dogs are not going to steal from you but maybe your dog thinks they are going to steal from them. Well back to working on the house. Love it here.

Los Lobos

I NEED BEER !!

Sounds like the first 5 months of non stop strange things happening here. I stopped caring after 3 months....and started drinking hence my erratic posts!