AARP Supplemental Insurance

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I posted this in another thread, but I think it got buried.

Mr. AE retired and is on Social Security & Medicare since May. He has AARP Plan F [which is just a bit better than C] as a supplemental plan. I was looking over the paperwork, and it says it will cover medical bills when outside the USA [when Medicare doesn't apply]. Seems cut and dry - you pay the bill and they will reimburse you when you submit the claim. The only 'catch' I saw was you can't be out of the country more than 90 days any given trip.

My question is, has anyone ever actually submitted a medical claim for this through AARP for Dominican doctor or hospital bills, and was it actually reimbursed????

If it works the way it should, I presume it means we don't need to purchase Dominican health insurance while we are there, at least not for the first 3 months.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
if you plan to have a dominican insurance anyways it is best not to wait to get it. one, age limit and two, the time it takes for it to kick in.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Might not be the exact answer your looking for but the family business is medical billing and I have seen those plans. One of the problems on those plans is what they will actually cover in the end. I have seen claims submitted in the scenario your talking about and they only reimbursed what they would have paid if Medicare had been billed as your primary insurance. While it is a good plan to have as a supplement to Medicare in the US, depending on it while out of the country (here in DR) is risky.

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
I was told at Bournigal Hospital in POP that my Medicare and Supplemental insurance does not cover me while out of the US. Everything paid was out of pocket. My treatment including two nights in the hospital was in July of this year.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
I was told at Bournigal Hospital in POP that my Medicare and Supplemental insurance does not cover me while out of the US. Everything paid was out of pocket. My treatment including two nights in the hospital was in July of this year.

That means that the hospital does not accept the insurance.

However, some insurance policies will reimburse you for the bills you pay out of pocket. The original question was if anyone has tried to get reimbursed from AARP.

After being hospitalized for dengue fever, my personal health plan of action is to always have enough to purchase an emergency plane ticket to Miami should I get very sick again.

As my contribution to unsolicited advice: find a good doctor and/or clinic close to your DR home and find out exactly what their policies are regarding billing and insurance. Purchase local insurance that will cover a local stay, or keep US$500 on hand for emergency treatment. Meanwhile, investigate if your US health insurance plan will cover a flight back to the US. Research hospitals in Miami. Even though Miami is probably not your home, in an emergency, that is the best place to head: good hospitals, closest US location, plenty of direct daily flights out of DR airports.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
That means that the hospital does not accept the insurance.

However, some insurance policies will reimburse you for the bills you pay out of pocket. The original question was if anyone has tried to get reimbursed from AARP.

After being hospitalized for dengue fever, my personal health plan of action is to always have enough to purchase an emergency plane ticket to Miami should I get very sick again.

As my contribution to unsolicited advice: find a good doctor and/or clinic close to your DR home and find out exactly what their policies are regarding billing and insurance. Purchase local insurance that will cover a local stay, or keep US$500 on hand for emergency treatment. Meanwhile, investigate if your US health insurance plan will cover a flight back to the US. Research hospitals in Miami. Even though Miami is probably not your home, in an emergency, that is the best place to head: good hospitals, closest US location, plenty of direct daily flights out of DR airports.

You can buy a flight ticket with a credit car and you can pay the hospital with a credit card.

My Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance reimburses payments made here. It will also cover my expenses if I am patient at Bournigal.

However, there are better hospital options than Bournigal; my near-by preference is HOMS. It is quite possible my insurance company would agree to cover me there as well. It has already done that once when my wife was a patient before she died.

On several occasions I have paid hospital bills to Clinica Abreu in Santo Domingo with credit card and paid the credit card bill when the reimbursement was received.