Looking for homebrew information

BigTex

Sep 8, 2013
My wife and I are looking into moving from Colorado to the north coast and I have one major reservation.
What about my homebrew???

I have a few questions:
1) Is it legal in the DR?
2) Is there a supplier for malted grains? (I'm an all-grain brewer)
3) Is there any supplier for liquid yeast?
4) Is there any homebrew clubs in/near Puerto Plata?

Nov 25, 2008
1. yes if its for your usage only, not to sell thast another problem
2. malt supplier, not in the sense like in the states, will have to scrounge different stores to find what you want and most likely not the quality you want.
3. dont know about liquid yeast
4. doubtful for clubs, but will find lots of people who want to be taste judge.

Best best is to be friends with someone who works in a rum plant to see where the company gets its supplies, for sure they import the raw materials.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
BigTex, I graduated from the American Brewers Guild "Craft Brewers Apprenticeship" Program. My goal was to add local brew to my bar in FL. It was clear the local gubmint wanted no part of it so I never got the permits.

I have the full course outline, textbooks, DVD's, class notes, etc., I'm willing to sell if you're interested.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
BigTex, I graduated from the American Brewers Guild "Craft Brewers Apprenticeship" Program. My goal was to add local brew to my bar in FL. It was clear the local gubmint wanted no part of it so I never got the permits.

I have the full course outline, textbooks, DVD's, class notes, etc., I'm willing to sell if you're interested.

CB, you did not tell me you are a moonshine guy...can i see the still when i make my next visit?

julypena

Sep 10, 2013
Hi Cobraboy,

I'm a hombrewer based in Santo Domingo, I'm interested in the full "Craft Brewers Apprenticeship" material, can you DM me with the cost? Where are you based in the DR?

Also, are you homebrewing here?

Cheers.

julypena

Sep 10, 2013
My wife and I are looking into moving from Colorado to the north coast and I have one major reservation.
What about my homebrew???

I have a few questions:
1) Is it legal in the DR?
2) Is there a supplier for malted grains? (I'm an all-grain brewer)
3) Is there any supplier for liquid yeast?
4) Is there any homebrew clubs in/near Puerto Plata?

1) Its legal for your personal consumption, you can not sell it.
2) No, there's no way to buy anything from grains, to hops or yeast, we order us online, and if you buy big quantities we bring it with door to door service or by boat.
3) Same answer as 2.
4) No, but, I know a couple of homebrewers that are working and willing to put together a club but this is in Santo Domingo.

Any further questions I'm glad to help.

Cheers

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
CB, you did not tell me you are a moonshine guy...can i see the still when i make my next visit?
LOL...

One of my very first posts on DR1 many years ago was about craft beer in the DR and the potential for a brew pub, maybe on the NC or Santiago. I had a deposit on a full two-kettle system in a defunct brewpub in Seattle, I reall the total cost was around $12-15,000...but the duty getting it into the DR was the killer. Didn't take much due dilligence to know that wouldn't go anywhere.:cheeky:

I love craft beers. I remember when Fat Tire and Blue Moon were tiny, local brands. Heck, I remember when Coors was smuggled outside CO; if you know someone driving near Denver, you'd BEG for a case of Coors.

Yes, I'm old...:cheeky:

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Yes its sad that the corruption from the BIGGYS and Gubmint would probably pressure a Mill-Brew startup pub. It would expose the ****ner Presidente as to what good beer really taste like. I always thought a fresh millbrew pub would do well in the Capital, especially Colonial Zone.

Jultpena, I live in SD and do not want to make it but if your starting a club or host parties, where ones could (donate!) and help sample it, Im all in and have others.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
LOL...

One of my very first posts on DR1 many years ago was about craft beer in the DR and the potential for a brew pub, maybe on the NC or Santiago. I had a deposit on a full two-kettle system in a defunct brewpub in Seattle, I reall the total cost was around $12-15,000...but the duty getting it into the DR was the killer. Didn't take much due dilligence to know that wouldn't go anywhere.:cheeky:

I love craft beers. I remember when Fat Tire and Blue Moon were tiny, local brands. Heck, I remember when Coors was smuggled outside CO; if you know someone driving near Denver, you'd BEG for a case of Coors.

Yes, I'm old...:cheeky:

and so am i. i also remember when Coors was smuggled..

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Yes its sad that the corruption from the BIGGYS and Gubmint would probably pressure a Mill-Brew startup pub. It would expose the ****ner Presidente as to what good beer really taste like. I always thought a fresh millbrew pub would do well in the Capital, especially Colonial Zone.

Jultpena, I live in SD and do not want to make it but if your starting a club or host parties, where ones could (donate!) and help sample it, Im all in and have others.

it would never get off the ground. Presidente would never allow it. if some dude made a bottle of ginger beer in his kitchen, and Leon Jimenez got wind of it, some generalissimo would be knocking the guy's door by next afternoon.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
it would never get off the ground. Presidente would never allow it. if some dude made a bottle of ginger beer in his kitchen, and Leon Jimenez got wind of it, some generalissimo would be knocking the guy's door by next afternoon.
I doubt that.

Fact is no brewpub could exist without domestic, local consumption based on costs/volume. Dominican taste would never accept a craft brew that wasn't a light pilsner or lager.

There just isn't the demand to warrant the cost. Fact is breweing supplies on the used market are dirt cheap because so many brewers have bitten the dust. It's clear that craft brews are not only price sensitive but are a luxury as well. Not a good combo in a down economy.

And EVERYTHING...grains, hops, yeast...would have to be imported.

Too many barriers of entry. Nice concept, however. Maybe a rich guy would like a cool hobby where profit is not in the equation...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I doubt that.

Fact is no brewpub could exist without domestic, local consumption based on costs/volume. Dominican taste would never accept a craft brew that wasn't a light pilsner or lager.

There just isn't the demand to warrant the cost. Fact is breweing supplies on the used market are dirt cheap because so many brewers have bitten the dust. It's clear that craft brews are not only price sensitive but are a luxury as well. Not a good combo in a down economy.

And EVERYTHING...grains, hops, yeast...would have to be imported.

Too many barriers of entry. Nice concept, however. Maybe a rich guy would like a cool hobby where profit is not in the equation...

agree, wholeheartedly. you could never get locals to buy it in sufficient quantity.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Good luck with your home brew efforts. I have thought about it from time to time, but it would be a challenge with having to import most everything (or paying a high premium if you find supplies here). If you find a way, please let us know who you went about it.

(as for Coors beer, I find it to be one of the worst beers in the entire world (rather drink water) ranking right down there with Brahma in the DR, but that could just be me. )

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
(as for Coors beer, I find it to be one of the worst beers in the entire world (rather drink water) ranking right down there with Brahma in the DR, but that could just be me. )
But at one time is was considered Forbidden Fruit, almost as a legendary craft beer, the whole "it's the water" thing...

Here is an interesting factoid: during my training we used Coors Banquet Beer for tasting because of all beers it has almost no "faults", that is, each of the 235-odd chemicals that give beer flavor and characteristics are neither high nor low. A high or low "fault" is what gives a particular beer it's own character. CBB has almost no character.

julypena

Sep 10, 2013
Well, you all got your point there, I know for sure of 3 brewers that are trying to break into commercially, they're now in the process of getting legal, is difficult since the dominican laws don't say anything about nano breweries or brew pubs. There used to be one in 90's i think called Barleys but after that was pretty much dead.

Now there's a lot of exported beers around, a lot in Santo Domingo and a lot in Santiago, people are staring to drinking out of their usual beers (Presidente and such) there's a little really craft beers around but you can usually get the big beers from europe, belgium, Czech republic, and some american ones.

Indeed is really expensive to get into homebrewing and more go commercial with it, but I think will see a change in that in the next few years.

julypena

Sep 10, 2013
Julypena, I live in SD and do not want to make it but if your starting a club or host parties, where ones could (donate!) and help sample it, Im all in and have others.

I could let you know when this happens. I'm always gathering contacts of the homebrewers, we got together once and I'm looking to do it again, not like the club but more like a community.

BigTex

Sep 8, 2013
during my training we used Coors Banquet Beer for tasting because of all beers it has almost no "faults", that is, each of the 235-odd chemicals that give beer flavor and characteristics are neither high nor low. A high or low "fault" is what gives a particular beer it's own character. CBB has almost no character.

We also used it as the base beer in my BJCP class. Do they grow grain in the DR? Micro malters are a growing phenomenon in New England and the Mid West.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012

LOL.. I always think comments like these are hilarious.. I could just see the general at my door saying "Stop making your beer or we're gonna kEEELLL you" .. jeez guys..

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
as far as I know you need a constant temp of about 62 to 70 to make ale and about 50 for lager , I think you would need a fridge .