Camp David

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Morning, I had a late lunch at Camp David with some adult family on Friday so I thought to post a review. Short version = complicated route, courteous but indifferent staff, fabulous views, very good appetizers except the chorizo, below average main dishes, hoky Trujillo car exhibition with the total price a little high for the value. Directions as per the inimitable Professor HB going towards Gran Almirante on Sadhala turn right at Hache continuing to the Third Texaco turn either right at the corner just before or through the station itself continuing several turns and a longgggg upwards drive. Camp David would be worth a special trip once in a great while for the views and appetizers but not to dine.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Good Morning, I had a late lunch at Camp David with some adult family on Friday so I thought to post a review. Short version = complicated route, courteous but indifferent staff, fabulous views, very good appetizers except the chorizo, below average main dishes, hoky Trujillo car exhibition with the total price a little high for the value. Directions as per the inimitable Professor HB going towards Gran Almirante on Sadhala turn right at Hache continuing to the Third Texaco turn either right at the corner just before or through the station itself continuing several turns and a longgggg upwards drive. Camp David would be worth a special trip once in a great while for the views and appetizers but not to dine.

I have been staying there since 1999 and agree with your review. When I eat there it is for the view. The view is nicer at night. The food has always been so so. Service is always less than stellar. I remember one time we were literally the only customers in the entire restaurant. We were out on terrace and all three waiters were inside gossiping with barmaid. I refused to get up and find a waiter. If you have triple the amount of tables as you have customers, there is no excuse for crappy service.

I called the front desk. The manager back then knew my voice and was surprised to hear me calling when I wasn't needing to make a reservation. I said, I want beer, can you send one of the three waiters flirting with barmaid out to bring me some. Obviously she spoke to the waiters and one of them called me "prinicipe" for months. I guess sort of his way of saying I wanted service fit for a prince. Uhm. . .no. I just don't think I should have to et up and find my waiter when there are ZERO other customers.

One thing that drives me nuts about DR. A restaurant like Camp David, Meson De La Cava, or even Adrian's Tropical have nice views, so they feel food can be so so at best. Some places with great food have less than great ambience or views. Finding a restaurant that has both is not very easy, and if you do, the odds are high their service will suck.

That is why the last three times I went to dinner in SDQ was Patagonia Grill. Nice ambiance, great food and great service. If Camp David had food of that caliber I would never drive down the damn mountain to eat dinner.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
My biggest complaint about the food at Camp David is the overuse of salt.

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
I go there a lot as well. I agree the views are great and service so so. Getting some cooler air up in the Santiago hills is also nice. During one of my prior 2 month stays in Santiago i actually wanted to stay at the Hotel for the whole 2 mos. It was fairly empty. I asked the manager for a decent 25% discount from the steep daily rate for a long stay. The best she would give was 10% discount off the daily rate and she wouldn't budge. I went elsewhere... they lost about $3,000 in revenue... penny wise, pound foolish in my opinion.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Dessert and drinks, no diner, that is best.

Our routine used to be a few drinks on terrace early evening to see view in both daytime and evening, then head to Puerto Madero for dinner. Too bad puerto madera closed. May have to try the new brasilian place in STI next trip.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Our routine used to be a few drinks on terrace early evening to see view in both daytime and evening, then head to Puerto Madero for dinner. Too bad puerto madera closed. May have to try the new brasilian place in STI next trip.
Or manly slabs of beef at Camp Moto...

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Still a tough road for most and all kinds of promises to fix La Ruta Turistica.... But if you find yourself near Tubagua, about 7 klicks up from the Gran Parrada, going from POP area to STI area, La Ruta Turistica, stop at Tubagua Eco Plantation for a really laid back place for a meal, a drink, a spectacular view. Call ahead or email ahead. Yes I'm plugging it and yes I have an interest in it (not monetarily) and if this gets deleted, no problem. Still a great place for a few days stay or a quick stop with a view. One of my favorite places on the N.Coast. This won't last last long, I don't think there's been an ad bought. Whatever. There are no signs to direct you, but its right by the big "U" from Pto Plata....ask by the coconut/banana colmado place. Guys usually playing dominoes there. Or just ask around where is "Tings place".

Last edited: