A NY Dominican's View of His Dominican Heritage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
[video=youtube;czYS_LoSTDM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czYS_LoSTDM[/video]

I find this young man's personal testimonial persuasive and heartfelt. His use of vernacular is quite abrupt by prevalent US academic standards of acceptable speech. I find his particular brand of authentic narrative quite lyrical in its delivery. It's kind of long but touches on topics I see repeated frequently on DR1.com. As most of the posters here are expats I am always appreciative of a Dominican voice. Since this guy is so New Yorky and so adeptly balances his Dominican and African American heritage I find that his voice resonates and echoes as I live my daily life here in Boston and its environs. I am curious to know if any of you all like this video too.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I find this young man's personal testimonial persuasive and heartfelt. His use of vernacular is quite abrupt by prevalent US academic standards of acceptable speech. I find his particular brand of authentic narrative quite lyrical in its delivery. It's kind of long but touches on topics I see repeated frequently on DR1.com. As most of the posters here are expats I am always appreciative of a Dominican voice. Since this guy is so New Yorky and so adeptly balances his Dominican and African American heritage I find that his voice resonates and echoes as I live my daily life here in Boston and its environs. I am curious to know if any of you all like this video too.

Seems like a nice guy but 13 minutes to educate people that there are people of color in the DR? 90% of the dominicans I meet do not identify with their african roots. Obviously they have them but you never see dominicans talking about it and certainly not a major part of their lives.

I see that as a good thing. In the US some fall into a trap of using the horrible fate of their ancestors as an excuse to not be successful today. It is always good to be proud of your heritage but IMHO not usually a good thing to dwell on the negative aspects and allow that to become an obstacle in life.

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
I am curious to know if any of you all like this video too.
What is there to like or not like? A dude with his hat twisted to the side and some Dominicans saying they are black or n****s? How does this improve these people's lives? Dominican is a nationality that is comprised of people of all colors, like other caribbean nations. For these kids to say they are n****s is sending the wrong message. Not even all African American act in this streo-typical manner and call them selves n****s. Perhaps if this video was made 15 or 20 years ago, it might be saying something but there has been a wealth of more useful, better articulated and researched information on the topic of race in the DR.

Dominicans are of mixed racial origin. Not sure why there is so much race trolling on this issue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.