Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default This is why you don't hire a novice to do work!

Ok, so first off, this is the 4th time I had to "open" this bathroom up. The previous 3 times was because of ****ty plumbing work. This time around, I felt a specific area of the floor was heating up. I automatically thought to myself: "well, if i had other plumbing issues with the cold water line; its got to be the hot water line this time leaking" So I called my "maestro" and we started to investigate. We discovered that there was no hot water line broken and that instead there are an electrical issue. Seems as if the "electrician" pulled spliced wire through the PVC pipe. The eletrical tape used must have slipped off and the "hot" wire with the neutral wire were making contact. This caused the tiles to heat up. A piece of the pipe burned off. I took a few pictures. The first one shows the pipe when we first uncovered the floor. The second picture shows that the wires are "live". The last picture shows the work completed.

THIS IS WHAT WE SAW WHEN HE BROKE OPEN THE FLOOR. WE DIDN'T BREAK OPEN THE PIPE, IT WAS LIKE THAT. AS YOU CAN SEE THE PIPE IS BURNED BECAUSE OF THE SHORT CIRCUIT. I KNOW THAT THE "ELECTRICIAN" BASICALLY PULLED SPLICED WIRE THROUGH THE PIPE CAUSE WIRE SIMPLY DOESN'T TEAR LIKE THAT.

I TOOK MY VOLT METER TO MAKE SURE THAT THOSE WIRES WERE LIVE; AND INDEED THEY ARE. MEASURING 110V.

THE MAESTRO BASICALLY SPLICED THE WIRES TOGETHER, PLACED A WIRE CONNECTOR ON THEM AND COVERED THE OPEN PART OF THE PVC WITH A 3/4" PIECE OF PVC PIPE (NOT PICTURED).

Well, there you have it. Probably the "electrician" was using old wires which he spliced together to reach from box to box. I consider myself lucky that 1) My family or I didn't get electrocuted while walking on the bathroom floor, and 2) the wires didn't catch fire and spread. It's shameful and this is why we have a National Electrical Code in the US.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

The so called "fix" the maestro did isn't the best way to repair the problem. A short piece of PVC tubing, two couplings, and install new wire from box to box.

3. Likes arrugala, JohnnyBoy liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, forgot to mention. Who is to say there aren't a few other badly spliced connections in that same piece of PVC?

5. Likes Crytonb99 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

This is why you have to SIT and watch them work. From the workers come, and until they go.

Hope you manage to fix these frustrating problems.

7. Likes Makinater, Crytonb99 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry bro...

If that PVC is still in one piece throughout, I would pull that wire out and snake a total new one back in just in case there is burn/shortage in other areas...However, you can just check the continuity with an OHM meter too..What a mess...

9. Likes Crytonb99 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking about a bad job. I have two bathrooms opened right now, both are diagonally above the terrace. Since we bought this house water was leaking through the roof on the terrace, just where the wooden roof of te terrace joins with the concrete shelter roof of the house. Had the shelter roof sealed, no succes. Then my neighbor said he and most if all the other houses had the same problem and it seems when the houses were built the plumber used old / damaged PVC and in some cases didn't use solvent cement to join tubes. I had all PVC water pipes replaced by PE tubes. They finished doing that last week Thursday. Finally yesterday it was the first day in two years no water was falling from the roof.

Bought new tiles today for both messed up bath rooms and next week some guy will install them. I just hope he will know what he will need to do. I'll have to sit next to him and check what he's doing, but I don't know either. Just hope all will be fine after spending 70,000 pesos in tiles.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

i cannot say i understand this electricity thing but getting electrocuted while wiping your wet hairy ass seems like a sad way to go. not that a shaved and bleached bung exit would make it better. just one of those things that would not look well on a tombstone. guess there is a reason why it says enigmatically "died tragically". there will come the day when RIP will stand right next to ROLF.

12. Likes Berzin liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

YOU MUST oversee ALWAYS IN THE DR ,EXCEPTIONS ONLY ,when you are using someone with many references that you have checked out , or had good people you know well refer him . UNFORTUNATELY the OP HAS NOT finished the job correctly ,as the whole line should have been removed !! .Many times cost is the only criteria for a worker ( ie cheapest piping,wrong size pvc pipes when installing for pools resulting in Major problems and costs in the future ) , Same with car repairs so often , same problem using CHEAP lawyers , many times create 10 times the challenge you have , so you Must find the time to get good people !ASK ASK ASK. those you know who have lived here for years that you have confidence in .. Now hawk that wire out and do it right !Please !
    Last edited by arrugala; 09-11-2013 at 07:47 PM.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by newuser View Post
    Agreed!!!!!!!

Also, if the wires heated up enough to burn the PVC pipe and warm the tile floor they probably were pulling a high enough current that a properly installed circuit breaker would have tripped the circuit. You may want to have your "maestro" check it out.
    what kind of circuit breaker stays closed at zero ohms?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    The so called "fix" the maestro did isn't the best way to repair the problem. A short piece of PVC tubing, two couplings, and install new wire from box to box.
    Yeah this is something that I know had to be done, however, when we pulled on the wire, it seemed as if it was "stuck" somewhere. So instead I just decided to splice the wires using a wire connector which should hold it tight. This isn't the first time I encountered spliced wire in my house. Also, this short was costing me with EDENorte; going to compare bills to see if there was a drop.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast