Pel?cula dominicana estrenada en Canad?

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
VIDEO: Escenas de la pelicula dominicana ?Cristo Rey? -

The Toronto International Film Festival takes place yearly in September and has become an important event for many in the film industry. Renowned actors new and old come to Toronto yearly to participate in it. For those who are interested in movies and the industry in general, it's definitely worth it to see a few of interest.

I am not into movies or the film industry but recognize quality when I see it and can appreciate a good film every now and then. I did not know about Cristo Rey and what it's about (although I do believe it was mentioned in another forum on DR1- here is the link http://www.dr1.com/forums/dominicans-abroad/136742-independent-films-dominican-republic.html). I decided to 'Google' some more info on it and found this clip interesting.

It does seem like a good film and I would consider watching it when it becomes available on the internet.

VIDEO: Escenas de la pelicula Dominicana "Cristo Rey"Elmundo.com.do

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AOpvz_rux3w?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

-MP.

Last edited:

Quisqueya

Bronze
Nov 10, 2003
The Toronto International Film Festival takes place yearly in September and has become an important event for many in the film industry. Renowned actors new and old come to Toronto yearly to participate in it. For those who are interested in movies and the industry in general, it's definitely worth it to see a few of interest.

I am not into movies or the film industry but recognize quality when I see it and can appreciate a good film every now and then. I did not know about Cristo Rey and what it's about (although I do believe it was mentioned in another forum on DR1- here is the link http://www.dr1.com/forums/dominicans-abroad/136742-independent-films-dominican-republic.html). I decided to 'Google' some more info on it and found this clip interesting.

It does seem like a good film and I would consider watching it when it becomes available on the internet.

VIDEO: Escenas de la pelicula Dominicana "Cristo Rey"Elmundo.com.do

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AOpvz_rux3w?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

-MP.

The movie appears to be very interesting depicting the reality of barrio life. I personally stay away from movies that are "barrial" as it glamorizes this lifestyle as cool mode of living but the twist with the love story makes it appealing. Does anyone know if this movie will be showing in the USA or Ottawa/Mtrl?

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
As Pablo Piddy says in his denbow: Cristo Rey, barrio de sicaridad y maldad, donde nunca hay pa' com?' pero si pa vacil?'..rulay!

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
The movie appears to be very interesting depicting the reality of barrio life. I personally stay away from movies that are "barrial" as it glamorizes this lifestyle as cool mode of living but the twist with the love story makes it appealing. Does anyone know if this movie will be showing in the USA or Ottawa/Mtrl?

Exactly Quisqueya and I agree with you 100% with regards to barrio life and the depiction of it but it is reality. There are many people who live this way and often by no choice of their own. Poverty and barrio life stem from each other and I do believe if people could choose their situation from day one most would not choose a life of strife and poverty. This is why I think these movies that show barrio life or life in the hood as they would say are good, necessary, and a dose of reality etc. Many sides of the coin.

As well, since this is in the Spanish forum from a linguistic perspective this movie is perfect for those who would like to watch more movies in Spanish. This would be a good one because there is a mix of styles of speech. For example, compare Jocelyn, the main female character to el capo de la droga del barrio- her brother. Their styles of speech are worlds apart needless to say because of the role of each character. Actually, this movie would be nice in French as well (not subtitles the actual movie)

According to the article in List?n Diario it will debut in other places (after Toronto):

Luego de su estreno en Toronto, la pel?cula Cristo Rey inicia los preparativos para su estreno en Rep?blica Dominicana, bajo la distribuci?n de Caribbean Films Distribution, quienes tambi?n se aprestan para su estreno y distribuci?n en Estados Unidos y Puerto Rico.

De igual forma, luego de su estreno en Santo Domingo, el filme dominicano tiene previsto llevarse a Europa, gracias a los acuerdos con la distribuidora Equation

I suggest following up on the internet to find out where you can see the film in your area (or close by).

-MP.

H.concience

Jul 17, 2013
Porpably again the same old story with same lame barrio life tragedy, like you see in all of this movies. Dont expect to much out of it. Maybe the only i like is la lucha de ana and that was also same lame story, and bad acting and no budget.