DR Pop Music (this summer's hit)?

MichaelandJuliet

Jul 29, 2013
Firstly, I don't speak Spanish so apologize for the vagueness of this question.

This summer I've heard one song sung by a male singer over and over again--it seems to be the big hit in DR. It's definitely a bachata song, with a single male singer.

So...any guesses what I'm talking about?

uncle larry

Sep 3, 2013
I'm a DJ and did a couple gigs while in Sosua this past summer. Here are some of the songs that the locals loved (some were released prior to the summer but still moved crowds and got bumped in the cars cruising by. Most of the songs are Dembo or merengue). Vakero-Hoy se va bebe (I loved this song!) Amarra la negra- ayyy, daddy yankee-limbo (older but it really hit this summer), el mayor-choki, principe baru-acelera, chimbala- dame hilo, mozart la para-i wanna get high, little k- dejalo caer, el alfa-fuin fuan

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I'm a DJ and did a couple gigs while in Sosua this past summer. Here are some of the songs that the locals loved (some were released prior to the summer but still moved crowds and got bumped in the cars cruising by. Most of the songs are Dembo or merengue). Vakero-Hoy se va bebe (I loved this song!) Amarra la negra- ayyy, daddy yankee-limbo (older but it really hit this summer), el mayor-choki, principe baru-acelera, chimbala- dame hilo, mozart la para-i wanna get high, little k- dejalo caer, el alfa-fuin fuan

uncle, if you are a DJ, it helps to know the names of each genre you play. it is Dembow, not Dembo.

uncle larry

Sep 3, 2013
Yep, looks like I misinterpreted the thread heading. Oops. My bad. I'd like to thank the guy who felt compelled to call out my typo and the other guy who decided to belittle me and an entire genre of Dominican music. Have a nice night, fellas.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Yep, looks like I misinterpreted the thread heading. Oops. My bad. I'd like to thank the guy who felt compelled to call out my typo and the other guy who decided to belittle me and an entire genre of Dominican music. Have a nice night, fellas.

now let's not get all testy. i just said above that if it was a typo, feel free to disregard my posting. what more do you want from me? a hundredweight of gold bullion?

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xsFzXvrkapQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

maybe this one? it's pretty popular right now.
24 horas, frank reyes

MichaelandJuliet

Jul 29, 2013
That's not it--lol sorry to be so difficult. It's amazing how all this music sounds so similar. The one I heard, the singer was...sadder.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
If it was sad, it has to be Zacarias Ferreira!

[video=youtube;mVhQ34VJtJY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVhQ34VJtJY[/video]

MichaelandJuliet

Jul 29, 2013
Yeah, Ferreiria's voice sounds absolutely right, but that wasn't the right song. I've looked up his other stuff but couldn't find it.

I have half of a mind to hum the melody and post a link here but I'm way too self-conscious for that. At least yet. Let's see how desperate I get to find this song.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
quite frankly, i fail to understand how the OP can tell the difference between one bachata song and another.

MichaelandJuliet

Jul 29, 2013
It isn't easy.

There is one song that I recognize from the melody--he sang a few bars of lyrics at a relatively steady pitch and the last few bars of the refrain went up a bit. It was quite pretty and the neighbor played it almost every day we were there, so I kinda want to find it. I should've asked them what song it was.