Fan for outdoor use - where to buy?

21yearsinDR

May 29, 2013
I am looking for ceiling fans for outdoor use. Not necessarily the ones you can clean with the hose, but ceiling fans for damp locations ( they don?t rust )

I am sick and tired of all the normal fans you can buy in this country. They rust too fast or they are just ugly or they don?t give a decent air flow.

Does anybody know where in this country I might find a nice stainless steel outdoor fan ?
In Santiago or in Santo Domingo please.

Thank you

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
BigAssFans.com

POP airport has them in the ticket desk area. Made in the US, but I'm sure they'll get them to you.

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008
Stainless steel will still rust, particularly if you are by the sea. I tried to get one with plastic spokes - there was only one in the whole of Bavaro and it didn't have a cover for the light fitting. Forget asking the stores to ring you when the item comes in as they always forget. Just keep going around the stores and eventually you will find one. Good luck! And let us know what you decided to get in the end.

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
We brought "outdoor fans" from the USA when we brought in our container. They have plastic blades and we were told we could hose them down if we wanted too. Now, if anyone tells the cleaning lady that I will personally hose them down,-
Anyway, we were educated that there are indoor and outdoor rated fans and you need to see the rating on the fans. Some are moisture "resistant",- you want the sealed units that are "waterproof".
We paid a hefty 180US for these fans but we did consider just getting the good ole cheap Dominican fans and just replacing them when they got ugly. Either way works I guess. I'll get back to you in 10 years and let you know how I made out with these.

21yearsinDR

May 29, 2013
Thank you very much for your replies.
Yes, 21 years in DR and I was not at all aware of the fact that you can actually get fans for outdoor use.. Ha ha ha - I am from a cold European country and we never needed fans?
The fans at the airport are really to big for my humble terrace ha ha - they are like airplanes almost and I think they would wipe me off my terrace?
Stainless steel is not supposed to rust ( I thought?)?
I know I can buy some in the States and I do have a business mail, but I think the delivery and the tax would be to expensive - so therefore I was looking around here in DR.
If I am lucky I will let you know :D

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
If you're in SD try the Americano Store, next to Ikea, they have quite a few Industry fans, prices are pretty good, but they are overpriced in general.....Also, Carrefour has a pretty good mix of fans too....Sorry can't be of more help

Anthony