Me Bringing an American Woman to the DR ?!?!?!?

IamZon

Sep 22, 2012
Well, in a world full of surprises, it has happened: I have found an American woman that I would like to show the DR - WTF?!?!?

Anyway ... I prefer to show the North Coast and I have not been in the DR for almost 3 years now. I understand that most (all) of the all inclusive are for tourists. What are the best choices that deliver a nice experience nowadays?

Thanks a million for good feed back

DAMN - airfares have been increasing lately - probably more of that on the horizon?

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Does she speak Spanish?? Can she dance? If yes to one, hit Santo Domingo first! many clubs there, lots of stores etc...Maybe after a few days, 3, head North, Puerto Plata, Sosua, etc. and start with Ocean World! take it from there...Any pics?? If no, take some bro and post us as you go, let us know how things are..What airport are you coming in at?? Lost Americans?? Joke, but I do call it that...

If you need a taxi let me know..I have a friend that could use the money, his wife is dying of Cancer, just found out last week..However, I will be sure that he gives you a great price since it helps him too...PM if you wish to exchange phone numbers, I'm in Puerto Plata for the next few Months, then moving back to Santo Domingo...

Whats the damage on your flight and who is it?? I used AA coming in 7 Years ago, just wondering how much your paying since I too will need a plane soon for a tese trip

Photo please... :)

Anthony

boknows

Oct 15, 2012
At least you will have that Americana gratis...Minus airfare, hotel, food and drink. Am I at 500 yet?

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
Pay no attention to the @ holes out there that come here once a yr. on vaca. as far as airfare I just got quoted $270 one way Santiago to boston on jet blue , airfare $155 tax $115 ,highest taxes in the caribean.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Airfare -- if you can crack $500 from NYC you're not doing badly....

JB to AZS has good deals in Oct / Nov.... closer to $400 R/T

POP or AZS.... Azs is a 2 hour shot to SD..... less than an hour to Samana peninsula(you land on it)....2 hours and a bit to Sos/Cab..... nice enough drive

All depends on what you're looking for

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
To the OP:

If you want to show her a nice blend of things, I'd suggest Cabarete (for the beach) and Cabrera (for the town) on the north coast. I've heard Samana is amazing, and only two hours out of Cabrera. You can then finish (or begin) in Santo Domingo, so she has a "big town" experience.

DR can be a wonderful place to visit. Don't pay any attention to the naysayers who spend most of their time on Pedro Clisante (or something similar) and consider themselves "experts."

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I admit I am biased, but on the north coast I would suggest that you base yourself in Cabarete. Plenty of life, good food and drink on the beach. From there you can easily travel to see the contrast with other beaches at Playa Grande, Playa Caleton and Sosua (quick, before they destroy it!). Further afield are Las Terenas and Punta Rucia, but you are centrally placed if you get a car and want to travel a bit. If you want romantic settings you can also travel to see great sunsets at La Molina restaurant up in the hills overlooking Moca and Santiago.

IamZon

Sep 22, 2012
Any suggestions on hotel on the North Coast - again, I usually shy away from the all inclusives, but this may be an exception. I will check out all this good info - GraciASS

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Don't choose one, choose two or three if you have many days.

Visit the downtown central park area, the Amber Museum, the Fortaleza San Felipe, and the Cathedral (off the central park area). Go at 8:30am and visit the botanical gardens taking the skylift. Take the Rum Brugal tour. And of course, let the adrenaline run with a visit to the Damajagua falls.

If you are adventurous, drive all the way out to Punta Rucia, spend the night in one of the small hotels, and then head out early in the morning at 8am to the sand bar. Arrange the boat trip the previous evening.

Next book a hotel in Cabarete to enjoy the beach restaurants and watch the sails. Check out hotels here North & Northwest - Directories, Dominican Republic.

Then head out to the Playa Grande area. Stay at the La CAtalina. Hotel La Catalina - Cabrera, North Coast Dominican Republic Hotel Resort

For your last night, if money is not a problem, check out Casa Colonial, yes in Playa Dorada.

Lots to do and see in Puerto Plata area.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Then, while you're in Puerto Plata, stop by and have a beer with Anthony & Antonia....Wow Dolores, you're like the DR travel agent!! Good stuff!!

Copy & Pasted to my DR file for sure!!

Anthony

Don't choose one, choose two or three if you have many days.

Visit the downtown central park area, the Amber Museum, the Fortaleza San Felipe, and the Cathedral (off the central park area). Go at 8:30am and visit the botanical gardens taking the skylift. Take the Rum Brugal tour. And of course, let the adrenaline run with a visit to the Damajagua falls.

If you are adventurous, drive all the way out to Punta Rucia, spend the night in one of the small hotels, and then head out early in the morning at 8am to the sand bar. Arrange the boat trip the previous evening.

Next book a hotel in Cabarete to enjoy the beach restaurants and watch the sails. Check out hotels here North & Northwest - Directories, Dominican Republic.

Then head out to the Playa Grande area. Stay at the La CAtalina. Hotel La Catalina - Cabrera, North Coast Dominican Republic Hotel Resort

For your last night, if money is not a problem, check out Casa Colonial, yes in Playa Dorada.

Lots to do and see in Puerto Plata area.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Following Dolores' lead, book your trip from two airports to suit the itinerary.... e.g. in to SDQ and out POP or AZS

More touring flexibility and you can optimize the cheapest fares.

On my recent flight I saved $300 by flying out of POP over AZS - mind you, I had to stay an extra day to get that fare.

Just an idea

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Following Dolores' lead, book your trip from two airports to suit the itinerary.... e.g. in to SDQ and out POP or AZS

More touring flexibility and you can optimize the cheapest fares.

On my recent flight I saved $300 by flying out of POP over AZS - mind you, I had to stay an extra day to get that fare.

Just an idea

Very good advice. JetBlue, for instance, will sell one fares so you can have more flexibility in your travel.

Come to SAnto Domingo, stay at a Colonial City hotel, and head to Casa de Teatro or Lucia 203 in the evening, or the Ruinas de San Francisco on Sunday at 6pm, or Plaza de Espana on Friday and Saturday for live entertainment.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
They will all sell one ways.... my trips can originate in either in either the US or Canada.... I one way it each time.

The $300 savings I cited was West Jet from Toronto to el Catey coming down and Air Canada retruning out of POP.
By postponing from Tues to Wed depart and going to POP (30minutes farther) I saved $300+... ridiculous.

It's the best way to find the cheaper fares - IF you have scheduling flexibilty... it really works then

I just priced a flight from FLL to SDQ Oct 17-28 and the taxes were more expensive than the airfare. QUE ROBO! Spirit now charges $50 for a carry on and $45 per check bag. Jet Blue may be a little more but you don't have to pay for the first bag or a carry on.