Lat-Am?s highest airport fees hobble Dominican Republic?s tourism?

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/to...rport-fees-hobble-Dominican-Republics-tourism

Santo Domingo. - Dominican Republic has Latin America?s highest airport fees, a situation which hobbles tourism?s competitiveness and one of the factors which have plunged the destination Puerto Plata into crisis.

The warning came from Dominican Republic Tour Operators Association (OPETUR) president Elizabeth Tobar, who cited figures from the Las Americas and Luper?n airports.

"Whatever raises costs and landing fees for the airlines bring setbacks. We haven?t realized that we were a relatively cheap destination before, but today we have transformed into one of the most expensive in the air travel segment," she said.

?Tourism isn?t only what you have here in hotels, services, etc., but the portion with which tourists can visit a country,? Tobar said when asked about the impact of airport services costs on the tourism industry.

Her statement comes in the heels of debate over the bond issue sought by airports management company Aerodom, which led to higher fees charged in most of the country?s the terminals.

?When we start to increase taxes, landing fees , fuel and the tourist card, which by the way is an increase with which we strongly disagree, all that is handed down, and so the tourists who come to the country face the most expensive air segment per mile in all of Latin America."

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
It's true, but this will not change in the near future. There are way too many dollars generated with this system which fill a lot of pockets right now. Just like any government, give them a taste of the money stream generated through the fees and it will take a lot to get them to stop. Too bad that more people don't realize that simple fact.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
If the Goverment has the Goal to increase to 10 Million turist from now till 2020 I guess they should start cutting Airport Taxex. A friend of mine book one way ticket and picked up the cheapest rate of all airlines that serves the route and he paid for the ticket 8,108.00 Dominican pesos wich the price for the ticket was 3,760.00 pesos and the rest was Taxes and extra fees, that is very crazy you pay more for taxes and fees and than the price for the ticket.

Apr 13, 2011
I have friends and family that would love to vacation in the DR, but every time they look, it is the cost of the flights that discourage them from booking a trip to the DR - and many have gone to Mexico instead.
The DR is starting to get more interest as a vacation destination - and lowering the taxes and fees on flights would get more people to vacation in the DR.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there less taxes into PC than the other airports?

Am I understanding correctly that different airports in DR have different taxes??? If so.....why?

Jeepito

Dec 22, 2011
After paying around $137.00 in taxes on a round trip ticket to the DR; they still have the audacity to tack on another $10.00 bucks once you make it to Las americas. Always wondered what they did with that. If it wasn't for the chicas, I wouldn't set foot in this place.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
It's true, but this will not change in the near future. There are way too many dollars generated with this system which fill a lot of pockets right now. Just like any government, give them a taste of the money stream generated through the fees and it will take a lot to get them to stop. Too bad that more people don't realize that simple fact.

Yup, it's the same old Dominican attitude. Get whatever you can out of the gringos today and to hell with the future!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
here's another..
one way ticket - JFK - AZS ---- $119/fare + $55.50/taxes = $174.50

Both trips are upcoming Sept and Oct

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
After paying around $137.00 in taxes on a round trip ticket to the DR; they still have the audacity to tack on another $10.00 bucks once you make it to Las americas. Always wondered what they did with that. If it wasn't for the chicas, I wouldn't set foot in this place.

the 10.00 you pay is the value for the Turist Card, all foreigners non resident in Dominican Republic must buy turist card.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
the 10.00 you pay is the value for the Turist Card, all foreigners non resident in Dominican Republic must buy turist card.

The $10 is included in some Canadian tickets as part of the fare..... even for residents, it's paid regardless

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Every passenger gets one - impossible to sell on the flight....

Keep them and resell later , maybe.... they're not date stamped are they ??
sell it / give it away in the airport upon arrival, if there are other flights arriving. I think they are date stamped.

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
I remember when they use to give out little cards instead of the purchase receipts they do now. Those were not stamped so I would buy 2 or 3 at a time. That way I could just by pass the whole thing on arrival. With seating up front and only a carry on I would be the first one through customs and outside getting into the taxi within minutes. Those were the good old days. :)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I remember when they use to give out little cards instead of the purchase receipts they do now. Those were not stamped so I would buy 2 or 3 at a time. That way I could just by pass the whole thing on arrival. With seating up front and only a carry on I would be the first one through customs and outside getting into the taxi within minutes. Those were the good old days. :)

For $25 on JetBlue, the "Good Old Days" are back..... first 6-7 rows of seating, an extra bag.... first to board - first to exit.

I can be in the car at AZS in 10-15 minutes from landing (carrying on).... EZ off and out airport, AZS

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
For $25 on JetBlue, the "Good Old Days" are back..... first 6-7 rows of seating, an extra bag.... first to board - first to exit.

I can be in the car at AZS in 10-15 minutes from landing (carrying on).... EZ off and out airport, AZS

I might have to reconsider Jetblue. The last time I looked it wasn't any cheaper then Delta. At least with Delta I have status and about 90% of the time am upgraded.