Any Tips When You Are Getting Ready to Leave?

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
I'm heading back to the states for a bit, my mom's health is not so great. Meanwhile the thought of selling everything is overwhelming. The thought of how does one sell EVERYTHING and still live until take off?

How do you do it? What do you suggest?

Thanks so much in advance!

Jen

Then dont sell it. Place your stuff in a self storage unit.

If there is a lot of things you dont really need, remember there is alot of poor people here that would highly appreciate every little thing you can afford to give them.
-

Save enough things so you have two suitcases, and then just live in a budget hotel until you leave.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
If there is an international school close to you could ask if you can email the teachers with a for sell list and a pickup date just a couple of days before you leave. International teachers are used to buying used items with a pickup date at the end of the school year from each other.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Do you have a list of things you're considering to sell??? What is your location in the DR now?? I'm in Puerto Plata, go to SD every Month...Could always do a Metro transaction as well if you can post photos of what you have etc..Or another idea, what about renting the items that may be rentable...TV, A/C, Stereo, etc...Then if you come back, take your things back and in the meantime you have some cash flow..

Anthony

I'm heading back to the states for a bit, my mom's health is not so great. Meanwhile the thought of selling everything is overwhelming. The thought of how does one sell EVERYTHING and still live until take off?

Jen

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002

Jen
We once sold most of what we had, when we left DR in 2005. It actually didn't take more than a few days before everything was gone. I sold our mattress to a colleague of mine and agreed with him to come pick it up the same day we would leave the country.

Funny story: the apartment where we lived was mine and I hadn't sold it yet. The last two items left in the apartment were two (big) couches. I sold them to a friend (dominican) who asked me if he could pay it later, while he didn't have the money. No problem, but I told him, make sure you pick up the couched right away.

A month later I sell the apartment (I was already in Holland). Before closing the deal I tell the guy who bought the couches: make sure you pick them up this week, I am selling the apartment. A few weeks later, the realtor calls me that the new owner of the apartment wants these big couches out of the way, when are they finally picking them up. I'm calling the guy again, he tells me, actually I am not going to have the money, so I better don't buy them......WHAT???!!!

I tell my brother in law to please remove those couches from the apartment and to do whatever he likes with it. When he gets their a few days later: no couches. The new owner says the real estate agent removed them. When I call the real estate agent he tells me 'his socio' sold the couches to some family in 'el campo'. Actually I couldn't blame him for solving the problem, but no chance he would give me (part of the) the money. When I came back to DR in 2010 I bumped into him somewhere. I didn't bring up the couches, but I wonder if he felt embarrassed (I guess not).

Gave away most of my stuff when i moved to the DR, lots of people could benefit from it here for sure. Unless of course you really need the money it is not worth the headache of selling your stuff. So much easier and less time consuming giving it away and good for the soul too!!

The Storage Unit is also a good idea as it seems you already have a lot on your plate emotionally.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
........Unless of course you really need the money it is not worth the headache of selling your stuff......

Lots of options, of course, but storage is tricky and difficult in DR with high expense, mold, theft, insects, vermin, etc. That's why we sold and will repurchase when we return. And selling here is relatively easy, because people will buy used. We sold may things with the proviso that pickup had to be delayed. And we were paid for the item immediately, only way to be sure it's actually a serious buyer. Worked perfectly.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Obviously high end stuff plasma tv, fridge/freezer, invertor etc should be advertised either through here or a local newspaper like Costambar News in Puerta Plata are