Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Work from Home questions

I am contemplating applying for a few work from home positions and I have a few questions.
    The positions are work from home in the US. Would they be able to tell that I'm in DR if I still have a US number? How can I get a US number besides Magic Jack, I bought 2 of those things and they're crap.

From what I get from the job description its all (or mostly) outbound calls so I don't have to worry about incoming.

Anyone work from home? Can you give me a little info, help, I'm not sure how to handle it. Of course, I haven't even applied yet so I may not even get a job but just in case by the grace of God I do....I want to be prepared to have what I need to do it.

Thanks,
    SHALENA

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I work from home here in DR... the company i work for pays for skype unlimited north america... which give me an american
    number so i can receive calls, voicemail etc.. just need good internet and power

3. Likes Crytonb99, SKing, Jaime809 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I use Skype with a UK number (I'm sure you can get a US number too), not too expensive. It's ok most of the time, but if it is absolutely required that you should be in US (by their contract) then it's not recommended to do it this way. They might eventually find out and that won't be good...

5. Likes SKing liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Also look into Talkatone app used with Google Voice, that way your Google Voice US Number is used over internet data plan and not part of cell phone minutes.

7. Likes SKing liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

With you IP address they will know that you are in the DR...

9. Likes SKing liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

They could tell you're not in the US by your IP address, but that can be solved, too. However, as Uzin said, there are just too many ways somebody can find out you're not in the US to take the risk. Specially in DR where you can easily suffer power and internet outages. Not to mention the bachata blasting at the colmado could be overheard.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

With cable del Norte, my ip shows up as from Miami. Not sure that's each time.

You can port an existing US number to Google voice or create a new number that you can use to receive calls on your android phone with grooveip or Apple with talkaphone.

A pc will also ring when gmail is open giving you the option to answer with different devices. You must be very close to the WiFi signal.

It's noisy here, dogs, music, wind, fans, traffic, windows are open unless you have good quality windows shut and AC on.

12. Likes SKing liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Want a hook up! Go to www.elance.com Create a business profile, then search for jobs that you like and know how to do..Be sure to save each job via your watch list..Place your proposal, be sure its in range with other providers, rate of hour, duration, etc..In most cases, your potential client will have the hours and time frame posted on their ad...Then if they select you, called awarded, you have the job. However, they usually will setup a met to interview you etc..Do it! you will never be sorry and you will make dollars!! much more in one week working than an entire Month of working in the DR..

As for location ID..No worries with Elance, the buyers could care less. However, if you're making calls for them, then you will need a local number which Skype is great for..Buy their subscription at about 8 bucks a Month for USA unlimited minutes, then whatever number you need to make your calls at about 12 bucks per Month..Total of about 20 bucks..your number is good for 3 Months, Sub is Month to Month

You will not be sorry!! This is the best work at home site on the planet!!! its a free membership which gives you around 20 connects..So for example, a job that has a budget of 500 bucks would cost you 1 connect...anything above 1,000 bucks is 2 connects..You can also pay for a membership and get around 40 connects per Month..The membership is really for those folks that can do more than one kind of service..For example, Telemarketing is in one category, while translations are in another...You would need to have a paid membership in order to place a proposal on both since the free membership you can only pick one..

Go ahead and check it out...

Good Luck!

Anthony

14. Likes SKing, PeteyPablo, jabejuventus liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Any IP issues, just dowload HidemyIP, and many other programs out there..

16. Likes SKing liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Shalena,

If it's a legit opportunity, I would simply ask them if you're required to be local, or if there are any restrictions as to geography.

Is this something related to medicine? Because you're in such a specialized field, I wouldn't be surprised if they were fully willing to work with you.

To the extent you need to "present" yourself as local, Skype offers US numbers, along with RingCentral.

In addition, as Skynet mentioned there are plenty of proxy services out there. One I use when traveling abroad is hidemyass.com. They have a monthly fee, but no ads and no pesky dropoffs.

It would, of course, be critical to have reliable (very) high speed internet.

Best of luck!

18. Likes SKing liked this post
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast