This could be funny if it wasn't pathetic.

P

Pib

I was watching Con Freddy y Milagros, my favorite local show (the only one I watch)and they are showing an interview with a guy who founded a Party called "Partido Justiciero Democratico Dominicano". He says the party has even been recognized by the JCE.

Now the funny thing is that this guy says that if he ever becomes president he will propose a change in the laws to allow MEN to marry a maximun of 5 women. He says that "Saudi Arabia has similar laws and it has created richness in that country". Every day a clown is born.

Should I laugh or cry?

E

Eddy

It would be feasable as there is a big ratio women to men. The concern would be support. A great majority of Dominicans don't even support 1 wife let alone 5. Go ahead and cry.

D

Drake

The Catholic church which is a powerful force here would never allow it. It sounds like a joke to me.

V

Vi

how strong is the church in DR?

It will seem kind of old-fashioned for the church to still in this day and age to interfere with political concerns.

What is the stand of the catholic church now in DR? How strong are they in influencing political decisions?

Is the new goverment under Hipolito(correct me if I'm wrong)influenced by religion or the catholic church?

In either case I agree with Eddy. Many dominican men can't even emotionally and financially support one woman.

C

criss colon

This is the way things are right now! Who gets "married" in the DR? Legally married? Just about nobody! Most dominican men have bastard children with at least 5 women! How many of these "wives" and children does he support? The one he is currently having sex with! Once she is 4 to 5 months pregnant,it,s on to the next one! This should provoke many people telling me that I am wrong,but we all know that the "truth" hurts!Criss

P

Pib

A note:

Although the guy claimed to be legit I don't think his party will go anywhere. I have to say that cohost Milagros, a fierce feminist, was attacking the guy with everything she had when she wasn't bent over laughing.

His proposal is only good for a friday laugh.

K

Kozy

Re: 5 wives

For better or worse, the dominican culture of the campo is already bursting with men who have more than one common law wife,with families in each casa. They move from house to house.

One of the numerous examples I have known: I met a lady in Loma de Cabrera, went to her little house to meet the family. Mom and dad plus 7 other siblings were there. Later that day she told me she actually had 18 brothers and sisters. Her father had another family in Santiago with 8 children, all by the same woman. Also; 3 more in the capital by wife #3. She knew them all.

T

Tony Castaneira

Re: how strong is the church in DR?

Not many countries can claim that their politics are not interfered with by some type of Organized religion.

All one has to do and look at the USA. The Catholic Church and other Christian denomonations, along with synagogues exert a strong influence on American Politics.

P

PJT

There is truth in Criss's statement. Some men will have a common law wife and many segunda's (second wives). This has led to many legal battles after a mans death as to who are the rightful survivors to receive the mans property. In cases of the wealthy this can become a downright dirty affair. It is not uncommon for the segunda(s) and their offspring to receive all the property and the legal wife and offspring to be disinherited. It is sad. Regards, PJT

T

Tony Castaneira

Partido Yankista!!!

Does anyone remember the "Partido Yankista?" They were a political Partyn that wanted the US to annex them. Are they still around?

K

KenDP

Cullture Different in the DR

Having more than one family isn't unique to the Dominican Republic. There are other Latin American countries where same is true.

It seems to be well accepted by the people, both men and women.

I have lived and worked in the DR for more than 15 years. During that time I have known a number of bright, capable, intelligent girls that made it a point to get pregnant and have a child. They had no desire to marry the father, but they did want a child.

Some of these girls later found a man they wanted to marry, and did so. Others seemed to have no wish to marry. At least none of the available crop of prospects.

The fact those who did later marry already had a child, did not seem to prevent them from getting desirable husbands.

I am not just talking about the campo. I am also speaking of professional people.

No doubt the disparity between numbers of men and women have something to do with this.

We make a big fuss because it is contrary to our culture (except for groups like the Mormons).

The unfortunate thing is that many men who father a number of children contribute little, if anything, to their care--even in the case of the children that are legally their heirs. If these families survive, it is because of the efforts of the mothers and their children. Ever think, for example, about the homes the shoeshine boys come from?

The custom of giving double last names to Dominicans (that of mother and father) is the tip off. The reason those with 2 names are insistent on using both is because it indicates they are legitimate.

M

Marc

I love how the government can't get power or water to its people, but these guys are apparently tackling something much more important...how many wives you can have.

What's the difference between having 5 wives, and having one wife and 4 girlfriends? They already have many wives if you ask me, so I am not sure that this new idea would be something new for the country.

marc

U

Umberto "Boom Boom" Chavez

I have 3 wives and it works for me! *DC*

E

ECH, M.D.

ONE WOMAN: FIVE HUSBANDS!!!

You know, no one ever addresses equality here. What about one woman having five husbands. Wonder how many cries of outrage there would be......but the reverse.....well, that is acceptable. It was intended as such. LOL

C

criss colon

Re: ONE WOMAN: FIVE HUSBANDS!!!

Never ever happen! The "double standard" if not "invented" in the Dom.Rep. was perfected here and will live here forever.Makes life easier when we all know the "Rules" doesn,t it?Criss

S

Sue

Plus what woman in her right mind wants to be cooking, cleaning up after and doing laundry for 5 husbands. But then again I'm sure there might be some perks ;-)

G

Gerd

Aren't there girls who have several "husbands" in several countries and even receive their monthly Western Union payments from them?
I thoght I heard about such cases....