Best Beach

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
1. Playa Fronton. Not easy to reach, but the hike there is well worth it. you can also take a boat as well, but the hike is absolutely amazing.

[video=youtube_share;E5Fb4yeNuuo]http://youtu.be/E5Fb4yeNuuo[/video]

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Little and lovely and almost local,- Calaton just out of Rio San Juan. Problem is crowds of people in summer and on weekends in winter. This beach is intimate!
Problem in getting the "best beach hands down" is that everyone has different hands! My criteria is whatever beach pops into my head when someone yells---"It's a beach day"

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
"Best" is so subjective. Normally you come up with some criteria for the beach that day and go with the one that fits it the best. The DR has all types.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Rinc?n - Saman?
Macao - east coast
Bah?a de las Aguilas - Pedernales
Lim?n - Miches

Jul 4, 2010
Rinc?n - Saman?
Macao - east coast
Bah?a de las Aguilas - Pedernales
Lim?n - Miches

I agree with Chirimoya, however 'best beach' is a relative concept, since you have to take into account personal idiosyncratic factors such as accessibility, crowds, family-friendliness, etc. Personally, my favorite beaches are 'off the beaten path', such as Playa Caobita, five kilometers outside the nearest village of Barrera, Azua, which I can describe as a Boca Chica but ten times larger and 100.000 years ago, since there are no visible signs of civilization, except for an occasional intinerant fisherman.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I agree with Chirimoya, however 'best beach' is a relative concept, since you have to take into account personal idiosyncratic factors such as accessibility, crowds, family-friendliness, etc. Personally, my favorite beaches are 'off the beaten path', such as Playa Caobita, five kilometers outside the nearest village of Barrera, Azua, which I can describe as a Boca Chica but ten times larger and 100.000 years ago, since there are no visible signs of civilization, except for an occasional intinerant fisherman.

Thanks for the beach recommendation of Playa Caobita...i have never been there. Now i will go.

PS> Have you ever been to Playa Fronton? Have you seen how difficult it is to reach that beach by foot?

Frank

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
Bah?a de las Aguilas - Pedernales Hands down!!! And if you have a different beach in mind my next question is have you EVER been to Bahia de las Aguilas? Cause if you have not, that is why you like other beaches over it.. lol..

That's my answer.. hehe but I'm biased ;)

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
then you have to go to

Thought i would go to a new beach every week for a while.

Maganta,- between Rio San Juan and Gaspar Hernandez. The road y's, stay on the right till you see a sign Bavarian Resturant. Meet Gisela and her 2 big dogs, give her a hug and she will make the best meal you have had in a long time---do order mashed potatoes! Relax in her nice lounge chairs.
Not the best sand (sorta greyish) and the water in Caleton is clearer but a huge beach.

Another resturant just a little further past the Bavarian is Las Gringos,- haven't been there myself but it has good reviews.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
They are all pretty good. For me its Coson near Las Terrenas. Rent your fourwhi and head to the beach. The restaurant Luis Obispo on the beach is the best. Cold beer, margaritas, and seafood. When your done, 10 min drive back to the hotel.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Punta Bonita Las Terrenas / at the end of Playa Bonita towards Samana

Playa Samana at Luis' restaurant / nice waves for body surfing

Playa Ballenas Las Terrenas / gentle waves / snorkelling

LTS

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com

I was disappointed with Caobita when we went there during Semana Santa. The last hurricane deposited a layer of mud that extends outward form the beach starting at about the 20 to 25 line. It's not the pristine beach it used to be. However, during the week when it's not a holiday its as remote as they come. Overall it's a nice place. Oh, don't forget to go in a pickup or SUV. The road is extremely poor and a Nissan Versa that I drove barely made it down to the beach and back.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Ok, i have to ask this question...How many people here have been to Playa Fronton? And what beach on this island is as remote and as isolated as Playa Fronton...other than Bahia de Aguilas.

Frank

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
Ok, i have to ask this question...How many people here have been to Playa Fronton? And what beach on this island is as remote and as isolated as Playa Fronton...other than Bahia de Aguilas.

Frank

Where exactly is this beach anyway? Would like to try and see it on my next trip down there.