Moneygram....help needed.

cacobaka

Mar 14, 2010
I send money monthly through Moneygram to Puerto Plata, which is picked up at LaSirena (Banco Popular). A friend from the US did this and now they wont allow the person to collect it, saying it has to be delivered to the house? Does thismake any sense. Does Moneygram deliver money to the home?

Anyone have any advice or can lead me to what went wrong?

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I send money monthly through Moneygram to Puerto Plata, which is picked up at LaSirena (Banco Popular). A friend from the US did this and now they wont allow the person to collect it, saying it has to be delivered to the house? Does thismake any sense. Does Moneygram deliver money to the home?

Anyone have any advice or can lead me to what went wrong?

What went wrong is you should have never started sending money to her:D

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
The other alternative is to open an account in your own name at the same bank as the person to whom you wish to send money. Send money to your own account and then just make a transfer from your account to that of the beneficiary. This works with both SCotia Bank and Banco Popular. I did this some 9 years ago, we're married now and happy with it.

dropshort

May 18, 2008
At the risk of irritating the the whole world... What did the sender specify as delivery when the funds were sent?

Pick up and home delivery are Moneygram options available to the sender when the funds are sent. As are $US or $RD

There are no receiver options!!!!!! The receiver cannot change the method of delivery.

DS

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
I think you're paying a lot of fees for this service yes?? Why not open a bank account where you are, send the person the ATM card...You will be charged 250 pesos for each transaction, but I bet its a lot cheaper than how you're doing it now yes?? I still use my bank in Jersey, have my ATM card with me since day one and only pay for the transactions being 2.50 pesos...Its a lot in US money, but its one and done..And you have a max pull of 30,000 pesos, no idea how much you send...If its more, then they can go to any bank with their ATM/Visa card and have the bank pull the money in one shot..Popular does that service which I used a few times at the Quisqueya strip mall in SD, same lot as Bon is in..

Anthony

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I wouldn't trust it. Sometimes those places pull that scam just to see where the person lives especially if they are receiving money on a regular basis. Sounds fishy.
I change my cash at several different cambios. One time I had to change over like a little over 10k (USD) and the guy says, "Next time you don't have to come here in the hot sun, we will deliver to your house. Take a card and just call us and tell us how much and we'll bring it to your house"
I just said "Muy amable, gracias!"

AS IF......SMH

SHALENA

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
As someone said before and I will say again.

If you send a MoneyGram in DOP they can pick it up at the bank. If you send USD you have to have the recipient's home address.

Nothing fishy about it, just the way MoneyGram works.

Jeepito

Dec 22, 2011
My friend has me send his OWN money for him sometimes. Depending on the amount, if you specify that it be in dollars, and they don't have enough dollars; they give him the run around lying to save face telling him that something's wrong.

When they're called from here (US) they say that there aren't enough dollars. What they don't realize is that this guy is a longtime friend and tells me everything. However they will continue to BS my friend in the DR about the number being incorrect , the name's misspelled, blah blah blah. As soon as they have enough US dollars he gets a call and everything has miraculously been fixed on their own!

cacobaka

Mar 14, 2010
As someone said before and I will say again.

If you send a MoneyGram in DOP they can pick it up at the bank. If you send USD you have to have the recipient's home address.

Nothing fishy about it, just the way MoneyGram works.

Thank you this is the problem!!

cacobaka

Mar 14, 2010
Next question,

When will they deliver it? Still nothing... They seem a bit clueless at the bank.