Expatriate Medicine

exptriatemedicine

Sep 15, 2013
Expatriate Medicine Dominican Republic was founded by American Physicians who are planning to offer medical services in English and Spanish for those tourists and expatriates residing in the Dominican Republic. We have plans to open in late 2014 or early 2015. However, we are facing a dilemma; we are having trouble determining where the greatest number of expatriates are residing. Currently, we are looking at both Puerto Plata and Santo Domingo as potential locations. Can anyone shed some light on this.

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
There are a lot of expats on the North Coast, including Puerto Plata, Sosua, Cabarete.

Lately, a higher percentage of tourists seem to be going to Punta Cana and the South Coast.

Will you be able to operate legally with the blessing of the government?

I'm a long-time expat and quite happy with the doctors that I already, some of whom got their medical training in the US.

exptriatemedicine

Sep 15, 2013
This will be a legitimate operating medical practice. We are American born Practioners and will be applying for our provisional
visas as well as performing the required public service to get our medical licenses to practice in the Dominican Republic. We will
offer other services for example like biofeedback and mind/body medicine as well. Also we are in the process of acquiring the
necessary & electronic and medical equipment that is normally found in medical offices across the US. We are looking into
shipping companies in order ship our equipment. We are also in the process of setting accounts for business and electronic medical records as well. Coming in the next year we are looking for office and living spaces. That is why the late opening. What
area would you recommend.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I tend to doubt that this will take place.
It takes years to get a medical license in this country if your medical degree
is from another country.
Ask those who have gone through the process.

HB

exptriatemedicine

Sep 15, 2013
AS an US IMG, that attended and graduated from medical school in the Dominican Republic
before returning to the US; it will be somewhat easier to compete the licensure process.

Last edited:

vida

Mar 18, 2010
I live in Santo Domingo. I would certainly give your practice a try. But I would suggest that your staff speaks English also.
I have no trouble making appointments or dealing with a receptionist but I have English speaking friends that do.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Don?t count your chickens before they hatch!!!!!!!
I worked at La Plaza de la Salud in SD for 10 years.
Getting your DR license to practice here will be slim, and ?SLIM?just got on his horse and rode for Haiti!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

exptriatemedicine

Sep 15, 2013
since having lived there myself while in school, its easy to appreciate the trials of being an expat. That is my intention. i want to make things affordable easy, and comfortable.

exptriatemedicine

Sep 15, 2013
I do appreciate your counsel. that is why I am trying to givre myself plenty of time to do this. But, if you have any suggestions
please send them my way. Thanks

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Don?t count your chickens before they hatch!!!!!!!
I worked at La Plaza de la Salud in SD for 10 years.
Getting your DR license to practice here will be slim, and ?SLIM?just got on his horse and rode for Haiti!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Let me explain..... he worked in the hospital, but on a special floor AND he had a special uniform.

It resembles a cardigan, but they made him wear it backwards - and for some inexplicable reason , they tied the sleeves in a knot .... AT THE BACK !!

Go figure.... we all still wonder why:nervous:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
He still goes back in for treatment now and then..... witness the recent absence....

I was there daily to feed and comfort him.... the electricity was strong that day

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The only US doctor I ever knew, who was in a program here for American Chiropractors to get a medical degree, which he did, paid an assistant director of public health at that time, during ?Hipolito?s?disastrous term as ?l Presisente?, 5,000 US dollars to get his medical license.
He never did his one year internship here either.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
ps, my recent frontal lobotomy SEEMS to have been a success.
Scars are almost healed.
?Motherf(%?$=ers!!!!!
Not a total success I guess:devious::devious::devious:!

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Nobody has mentioned CMC in Sosua. That has been established by Ex-pats I believe and looks to be a success!

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Expatriate Medicine Dominican Republic was founded by American Physicians who are planning to offer medical services in English and Spanish for those tourists and expatriates residing in the Dominican Republic. We have plans to open in late 2014 or early 2015. However, we are facing a dilemma; we are having trouble determining where the greatest number of expatriates are residing. Currently, we are looking at both Puerto Plata and Santo Domingo as potential locations. Can anyone shed some light on this.

You'ld make a killing selling psychotropics to this group. :)

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
The only US doctor I ever knew, who was in a program here for American Chiropractors to get a medical degree, which he did, paid an assistant director of public health at that time, during ?Hipolito?s?disastrous term as ?l Presisente?, 5,000 US dollars to get his medical license.
He never did his one year internship here either.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
ps, my recent frontal lobotomy SEEMS to have been a success.
Scars are almost healed.
?Motherf(%?$=ers!!!!!
Not a total success I guess:devious::devious::devious:!

CC. I think this gentleman is a real medical Doctor. If he greases the right palms he could be up and running in no time.He's on the right track doing the prerequisite volunteer work