Why is the Blackberry so popular?

gas

Jul 28, 2013
According to the blackberry forum, it's the most popular make in the Caribbean and Africa. Why is that? It seems to be a status symbol among the less well to do, like a Cadillac used to be in the US. And for those who don't qualify for a plan, i.e., they use it prepaid, it obviates some of the internet features, at least that was a thread in the blackberry forum. I've never used one, but from what I can see, it would be among my last choices.

smitty777

Jul 21, 2013
According to the blackberry forum, it's the most popular make in the Caribbean and Africa. Why is that? It seems to be a status symbol among the less well to do, like a Cadillac used to be in the US. And for those who don't qualify for a plan, i.e., they use it prepaid, it obviates some of the internet features, at least that was a thread in the blackberry forum. I've never used one, but from what I can see, it would be among my last choices.

BBM. And they're cheaper then other smartphones.

gandolf50

Apr 17, 2011
I use them because they are cheap to buy, and the plan works for me. With the newer smart phones costing 4 to ten times as much and the way people rob them ( or the way my girlfriend loses them) they serve their purpose at a reasonable price.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I think they are popular because for some weird reason people thought the BB Messenger was free with the phone. They didn't realize that you still need data service. And if you have data service there are all kind of IM that you can use, besides BBM. Still you ask some people who own them why they still use them, and they say that it is because they can't afford to pay for data services to use whatsapp, and BBM is free.

BB are not cheaper. If anything, they are more expensive. In Claro or Orange a regular BB, one of those that everybody owns, costs 12K DOP, which is more than almost any Android. A Z10 costs the same as a Galaxy S4 or iPhone 5. They're not cheaper to maintain either, they break every 3 months on average, and have all kind of software issues that cause the phone to crash and need flashing regularly. Yeah, you can find some cheap used ones around, but they are normally very old models that don't work well (heck, the new ones don't work well).

However, progress cannot be stopped. And even the least knowledgeable barrio girls (BB's last stronghold) don't ask for BB anymore, now they just say "papi, regalame un galasi"

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
BB is out of fashion in DR. Nowadays, you mostly see BB used by people who were still on a dumb phone last year. Everyone else moved on, mostly to Android, Windows (cheap Lumia's), or IOS...
You will still spot many old BB in the barrios, because they are sold second-hand for cheap, but it's a thing of the past.

BBM is on the way out too. Most folks will ask you for your Whatsapp instead. (tienes Uasa?)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I use them because they are cheap to buy, and the plan works for me. With the newer smart phones costing 4 to ten times as much and the way people rob them ( or the way my girlfriend loses them) they serve their purpose at a reasonable price.

your girlfriend does not lose them. go to the local pawnshop and you will find them there.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
I love my bb. Didn't know I was dumb and from the barrio. Thanks for setting me straight.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
the 5 inch phablet is going to be the new rage here. the BB will be a trivia question in 2 years.

toriemannetje

Aug 30, 2013
BB is out of fashion in DR. Nowadays, you mostly see BB used by people who were still on a dumb phone last year. Everyone else moved on, mostly to Android, Windows (cheap Lumia's), or IOS...
You will still spot many old BB in the barrios, because they are sold second-hand for cheap, but it's a thing of the past.

BBM is on the way out too. Most folks will ask you for your Whatsapp instead. (tienes Uasa?)

Edited by Robert.
Keep it up and your go the way of the BB.

* A PROUD 9900 BOLD USER HAS SPOKEN!

besides that, even if i was an apple fan boy you still would have sound stupid! bb is out of fashion? you need to be more in the streets, in the clubs and in meetings cos everybody no matter in what class they are in is using a bb. still!

bb is not like gangnam style, like last year it was all over the place and now if you dare to walk with it your so 2000 and late.

Last edited by a moderator:

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
you need to be more in the streets, in the clubs and in meetings cos everybody no matter in what class they are in is using a bb. still!
bb is not like gangnam style, like last year it was all over the place and now if you dare to walk with it your so 2000 and late.

Easy, friend. I don't know about gangnam style, but BB sure are on their way out. I don't think anybody can say the opposite. BB as a company is probably not going to make it beyond Q1 2014, and BBs rely too much on some corporate servers running in Canada for phones to be of any value after the company is gone.
And as much as I don't really care about fashion, yeah, all I hear is people trying to move on to something "trendier", and those who can afford it already have. BB is out. It was the hell of a good run, though..

Ehhhh....sesi leidi....

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
bb is out of fashion? you need to be more in the streets, in the clubs and in meetings cos everybody no matter in what class they are in is using a bb. still!

Sorry buddy... BB is out... It's game over for BB... Just take a look around and you will see Galaxy's, Lumia's and iPhone's...
If you still believe BB is top notch, I have a bridge to sell you ;)

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I love my bb but im starting to think to move to android or samsung, the old models are so limited to download apps, like magic jack app, the new one bb z10 is too expensive.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Es un Galasi mi amor

I love my bb but im starting to think to move to android or samsung, the old models are so limited to download apps, like magic jack app, the new one bb z10 is too expensive.

I bought an HTC android phone for my trip to the United last month.

I installed the magicJack app in order to maintain contact with multiple family members for a family reunion.

I use an old StarTAC for a paperweight.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
shut your mouth ok!

* A PROUD 9900 BOLD USER HAS SPOKEN!

You are right. BB will be huge. You should buy stock. You can get a great deal ;-)

from 2000- 2010 RIM stock was between 60-100 bucks, now it hovers around 10 and that is after rallying from even lower. . . . .do the math.

I had a BB just because I needed a nextel. On a flight to miami 2 years ago I heard it fall from my suit jacket pocket. I started reaching under the seat to find it. Then said. . . .screw that, I hate the thing. Bought a basic nextel flip and never missed the BB.

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
As a faithful Blackberry user for years (and live in the KW area where Blackberry is made) I am converting to an Android. I currently own a Z10 for work and Q10 for myself (personal). I had to use a Samsung S4 for a few weeks before the Z10 came into the office and what a difference... I love the S4.

Personally I was using BBM to keep in contact with friend and family around the world but have noticed a decline in the amount of users now and people using Whatsapp... Can't wait to get the S4 and install BBM on that since it will be available to IPhone and Android soon (supposedly)...

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Can't wait to get the S4 and install BBM on that since it will be available to IPhone and Android soon (supposedly)...

They've been saying that for a while. However, with each passing day their window of opportunity closes even more. The only reason to have BBM is to keep chatting with other BB users. Since BB users are less every day, there won't be many interested in BBM after a few more weeks.

As with all their other issues BB (former RIM) has been very slow to react. They always counted on their "huge user base" to leverage the company. They still seem to be keeping the same strategy. They will probably keep it until Microsoft or any other big player buys them to break it to pieces.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
I've been on a BB for almost a decade now.

Although I think the new smartphones are almost invariably better in terms of improved tech and operating systems, my issue is simple. I'm a bit larger than a big NFL tight end, and have big fingers. That don't seem to be able to handle typing on a screen very well.

The two main things I use a BB for are calls and emails, so you see my issue. And the new Q10 doesn't look like it will be around for very long, so I guess I'll be hanging out with my dinosaur friends, lol.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

Although I think the new smartphones are almost invariably better in terms of improved tech and operating systems, my issue is simple. I'm a bit larger than a big NFL tight end, and have big fingers. That don't seem to be able to handle typing on a screen very well.

The two main things I use a BB for are calls and emails, so you see my issue. And the new Q10 doesn't look like it will be around for very long, so I guess I'll be hanging out with my dinosaur friends, lol.

a bit larger than a tight end? OT, perhaps?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

Couldn't agree more.

I miss an actual keyboard. My old BB Curve was awsome...for that time.

I have an Android with the touch sctreen keyboard. And while I do like Android and the phone, I do not like the keybord for the same reasons you stated.

Big figers are the bane of touchscreen phones.