Waga

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
The road from El Estrecho to La Isabela is closed by large trees and fires as the people are trying to get the governments attention to the fact that there has been little to no work on the roads. I have lived here for over 10 years and seen two graders in that time. The people have been very patient waiting this long and they said it was about time for them to spend a few pesos to fix the roads. Road Photos by mart1n5 | Photobucket

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
How is the people going to know if everyone keeps their mouth shut and be good it has not worked in 15 years. If they would contact the people in power nothing would be done. For example I personally gave money to the local mayor for fuel for a grader and nothing happened. Now the whole country knows that they are not happy.
thanks frank Huelga.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
What other choices do they have? They've probably complained for years and this is a last resort?

This is kind of like a Special Referendum vote for them. Probably the more tires/turnout the more favorable results?

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006
Sad but unfortunately true. They have been indoctrinated over the years; and the officials also, that burning tires would bear fruits in the end. It's an environmental disaster bit it's definitely a way to garner attention to their plight.

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
The huelga is still on, more trees in the road no electricity no schools and no government help. The people is this area have never in history ever spoke out and now they are trying to be heard. Where is the president and sindico when the people need him.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
It might be helpful for people logging onto DR1 rarely, or for the first time, if a moderator would correct the spelling mistake in the subject line from "Waga" to "Huelga (Strike)" so that people could understand what the thread is about.

Because right now, people looking at the subject line are probably thinking the thread is about convenience stores on the North-east coast of the U.S known as "WAWA."

Frank

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006
There's another strike in Gurabo (Santiago) where a few men have chained themselves to a fence. I'm sure at any given time, there are at least ten such protests somewhere on the island.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
There's another strike in Gurabo (Santiago) where a few men have chained themselves to a fence. I'm sure at any given time, there are at least ten such protests somewhere on the island.

Where exactly is this? I need a good laugh.

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
There was even more trees cut and laying in the road. The road from Martin Alonzo to La Sabana is now closed. there is a rummer that Luperon might be joining in.