virus causing hip infections in dogs

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
My vet just diagnosed my limping Rotty with a type of distemper virus that apparently causes infections in the hips. Has anybody ever heard of this? Apparently, it is contagious, and she has diagnosed about 20 dogs with the same condition recently, here in the POP area. You can treat the symptoms and it goes away eventually she says.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We had a Springer Spaniel who got that when he was under a year old, affected one hip/leg. He lived a long life after distemper treatment, but had a 'twitch' like parkinson's in that leg the rest of his life.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Thats what I thought when he first showed symptoms, but she is confident that this is a virus caused infection, apparently it can be distinguished with visible 'shaking' of the leg, and it is easily treatable.

Exactly what I was trying to describe above. Our dog ended up walking normally, but when he was lying down the leg would shake.

Do vets in DR give annual distemper shots to dogs, like they do in the US?

Aug 21, 2007
My little dog had this about 10 days ago. Same symptoms. My vet told me it was just old age. He is fine now, but it is good to know what it actually was. By the way, my other shihtzu didn't catch it.

Do the distemper shots help with this? My dogs' shots are always up to date, and I am sure they are vaccinated.

Lindsey

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I have six other dogs, they didn't catch it, but it is contagious. I am thinking maybe it was transferred by my vet, since she was treating the same Rotty for something else before.