Police Checks Becoming More Professional?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

All sites and newspapers (including Listin Diario) write about it: the police will henceforth not check as brute, but rather very polite on arms, age (girls), drugs, noise control and alcohol abuse. Some of Listin Diarios reporters witnessed it. They heard the commander of the National Police for an open door of a bar talking through a megaphone to say the following:

Good evening friends on behalf of the Ministry of the Interior, we have the task to perform a simple check. We do not want to bother you and we do not want to spoil the fun. But weapons and rum do not mix and rum doesn't mix with driving'. According to Listin Diarios reporters these words were received by the happy surprised guests with cheers and clapping. Then the officers checked the men and women present (control of handbags) on weapons and drugs and possession of an identity document. All participants felt that this new approach of the police earned praise and continuation. Hopefully this new friendly approach will also be put into practice in Sos?a.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
From today's Sosua News:

All sites and newspapers (including Listin Diario) write about it: the police will henceforth not check as brute, but rather very polite on arms, age (girls), drugs, noise control and alcohol abuse. Some of Listin Diarios reporters witnessed it. They heard the commander of the National Police for an open door of a bar talking through a megaphone to say the following:

Good evening friends on behalf of the Ministry of the Interior, we have the task to perform a simple check. We do not want to bother you and we do not want to spoil the fun. But weapons and rum do not mix and rum doesn't mix with driving'. According to Listin Diarios reporters these words were received by the happy surprised guests with cheers and clapping. Then the officers checked the men and women present (control of handbags) on weapons and drugs and possession of an identity document. All participants felt that this new approach of the police earned praise and continuation. Hopefully this new friendly approach will also be put into practice in Sos?a.

I was stopped a few days ago in Santiago by 2 very professional PN that asked me if I had any armed weapons with me and I said no. They told me to have a good day and I was on my merry way.. My stops from PN have been this way for as long as I can remember though.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
I never have a problem with the Police in Santiago. A few pesos here and there and a bottle of Gatorade for the locals in uniform. Some have problems or are unlucky everywhere they go, I cant figure it out.

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006
I never have a problem with the Police in Santiago. A few pesos here and there and a bottle of Gatorade for the locals in uniform. Some have problems or are unlucky everywhere they go, I cant figure it out.

I've always wanted to say that. It's like some people, from the instant of rolling out their bed, there's something to constitute a problem. How a few could be so unlucky is beyond me.

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006

I've always wanted to say that. It's like some people, from the instant of rolling out their bed, there's something to constitute a problem. How a few could be so unlucky is beyond me.

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006
I read yesterday where the police spokesperson in Santiago is now a female : replacing a male colonel. This is a softer touch approach to crime fighting and I applaud this insight.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
Ha, we'll see. The area is missing their gringo bucks, word is out. Those may be actual cops? What about when you try to drive in the country? Uninformed stops to rob?There are too many posts from people that have lived in country for years about the ups and downs. The "show" has to end. Two many ass----- have been educated in the U.S. prison system and let lose back in the DR. Not to mention the usual uneducated, totally poor folks that decide to get some or die!!
Things have gotten way out of control. Too many people bitch about human rights when they watch their, friends or family have their life or valuables taken away in a second. To complain about repeat offenders being offed in a 3rd world country, is well --------. Hopefully, things will change, the honorable good will take out the trash, rather than trash taking out trash.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

I have said this before....
we hear from those who are affected.... naturally, and rightly so

those of us pass a dull, uneventful day are shy to post.... almost like 'loser' status...

"What?? you didn't get Dominicaned today ??"

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I have been stopped many times but never been checked. Its easy to fool and intimidate a dominican cop / MP. if you stand your grounds, most will not engage with you. last saturday my dominican friend in his SUV was stopped by armed MPs. As the man in charge come to ask for his papers, I just laughed at him and said: don't you recognize my friend's face? he looked at me with arcane look and asked if my friend is military? I laughed again and said, you don't recognize his face? even my friend smiled with nervousness. The MP was totally confused and didn't want to get into any mess so he saluted us and let us pass by. Hahahaha. Its really easy to fool them.
other times my dominican friends would tell police that i am pakistani council, Hahaha. they would salute me, shake my hand and let us all pass.
AZB

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
"...would tell police that i am pakistani council..."

Wow, did they know that Pakistan is not in Nueva Yol? :)

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
I have been stopped many times but never been checked. Its easy to fool and intimidate a dominican cop / MP. if you stand your grounds, most will not engage with you. last saturday my dominican friend in his SUV was stopped by armed MPs. As the man in charge come to ask for his papers, I just laughed at him and said: don't you recognize my friend's face? he looked at me with arcane look and asked if my friend is military? I laughed again and said, you don't recognize his face? even my friend smiled with nervousness. The MP was totally confused and didn't want to get into any mess so he saluted us and let us pass by. Hahahaha. Its really easy to fool them.
other times my dominican friends would tell police that i am pakistani council, Hahaha. they would salute me, shake my hand and let us all pass.
AZB

I am not looking to "fool", "intimidate" ,clown or harass any uniformed officer, either military or police. I greet them with a quick salute around town and they usually reply in kind.
I treat them with respect and have never been harassed. I have asked for assistance (minor stuff, directions having the guy outside to turn his stereo down) and they were helpful. I know there are some bad ones floating around just like there are in the States. For me, its been a non issue

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I am not looking to "fool", "intimidate" ,clown or harass any uniformed officer, either military or police. I greet them with a quick salute around town and they usually reply in kind.
I treat them with respect and have never been harassed. I have asked for assistance (minor stuff, directions having the guy outside to turn his stereo down) and they were helpful. I know there are some bad ones floating around just like there are in the States. For me, its been a non issue

Well.. here's something we can agree on :)

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Professional policing, law and order is what we are hoping for.
If it is implemented for all, there will be a positive impact for citizens, tourism and investments.
All this will translate into tax revenues and growth.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
There is nothing wrong with having some fun with the police from time to time. Don't you think they have fun with us when they stop and search average citizens? Police doesn't seem to mind my little tricks. They know their targets and they know people who are trouble makers. Cops are not stupid, they are on the streets and they know everyone.
AZB

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Wanna Bet???
Dominguez Brito gave a speech yesterday saying that Dominican victims of crime in the poor and rural areas,don't report the crimes to the police because they know that it won't do any good.
As I posted once before, my next door neighbor,a General in the Policia National had the batteries from his inverter stolen.
I know he didn't do ANYTHING, other than put "Razor Wire" on top of the wall around his house.
He told no one, too embarassed I guess.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006
From today's Sosua News:

Was this a movie set? :)