Need advice for POP

MrCT2DR

Sep 12, 2013
I have rented an apartment in Torre Alta for 2 weeks in Oct. i have stayed in Sosua and Cabarete before and I wanted to try something different and maybe mess touristy. So I am staying in Puerto Plata this time. Can anyone recommend some good restaurants and lively night clubs nearby. I am very flexible as far as types of food and music. I would just like to arrive with a few (recommended)options already in mind.

Also someone told me that getting taxi's may prove to be difficult and expensive from Torre Alta. is this true? I would rather not rent a car unless completly necessary.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I have rented an apartment in Torre Alta for 2 weeks in Oct. i have stayed in Sosua and Cabarete before and I wanted to try something different and maybe mess touristy. So I am staying in Puerto Plata this time. Can anyone recommend some good restaurants and lively night clubs nearby. I am very flexible as far as types of food and music. I would just like to arrive with a few (recommended)options already in mind.

Also someone told me that getting taxi's may prove to be difficult and expensive from Torre Alta. is this true? I would rather not rent a car unless completly necessary.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

let me just start by saying that the list of good restaurants in POP is not very extensive.

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
We live in Carro Mar, next to Torre Alta. Moto taxi are all over the place here. From my house to the main road is like 50 pesos. Which is ok by me. Las Palmas, Cariotides, Kilmeter Zero, Tarappa, all very good restaurants in Puerto Plata and well within a short moto taxi ride.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
We live in Carro Mar, next to Torre Alta. Moto taxi are all over the place here. From my house to the main road is like 50 pesos. Which is ok by me. Las Palmas, Cariotides, Kilmeter Zero, Tarappa, all very good restaurants in Puerto Plata and well within a short moto taxi ride.

that list of restaurants you gave is on the money..

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I am told there is a good restaurant in an old house somehwere in POP but I don't know the name or where it is.

Can anybody help?

MrCT2DR

Sep 12, 2013

Thanks No place. This is a good start.

MrCT2DR

Sep 12, 2013
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will most likely visti most of them as i am not one to cook much!
How about nightblubs/discotecas for a young, handsome, single guy? PS. I am not staying in Sosua as being mobbed and groped for peso's is not really my thing. Been there, done that, checked it off the bucket list. I'm more looking for a place to dance and enjoy a few drink with the possibility of meeting some "regular" women. I have had pure reccomended and i have heard oceanworld has a good club. Any others?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will most likely visti most of them as i am not one to cook much!
How about nightblubs/discotecas for a young, handsome, single guy? PS. I am not staying in Sosua as being mobbed and groped for peso's is not really my thing. Been there, done that, checked it off the bucket list. I'm more looking for a place to dance and enjoy a few drink with the possibility of meeting some "regular" women. I have had pure reccomended and i have heard oceanworld has a good club. Any others?

i understand your antipathy, at this point, in meeting your ladies in Sosua. however, let us get real. the girls in Ocean World are no different than the girls in Sosua. they just think so. the gig is the same. they are there for the same reason...gringo dollars. heck, many of them were working in Sosua last month.

MrCT2DR

Sep 12, 2013
i understand your antipathy, at this point, in meeting your ladies in Sosua. however, let us get real. the girls in Ocean World are no different than the girls in Sosua. they just think so. the gig is the same. they are there for the same reason...gringo dollars. heck, many of them were working in Sosua last month.

Gotcha. I figure this may be the case pretty often. I also know it will not always be the case. At least outside of Sosua/Cabarete there stands a better chance of some form of normalcy.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Gotcha. I figure this may be the case pretty often. I also know it will not always be the case. At least outside of Sosua/Cabarete there stands a better chance of some form of normalcy.

You'll meet lots of "normal" girls in Pure, looking for gringo peso-nality, just enjoy yourself and stop being so hung up on meeting normal girls. Unless you speak fluent Spanie and/or look like Antonio Banderas, 15 years ago...you be payin' son.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Agreed. Your chances of meeting a "normal" girl genuinely interested in hooking up with a gringo for two weeks are not great, especially if you're not fluent in Spanish.

Also, just because you're staying in Puerto Plata doesn't mean you're limited to the area. Frankly, everywhere from Cabrera to the east through Santiago in the interior should be considered as "local."

Have fun!

MrCT2DR

Sep 12, 2013
Jjjjj. Not as hung up as you think! Every date or drink purchased is paying anyway!! I'm not so stuck on the whole "normal" girl thing. I think that was a poor choice of words on my part. Honestly, what is a "normal" woman anyway? i dont know that i have ever met one!!! I just dont want the blatant overly agressive "$$$" y vamos. It ruins the fun of the chase. Over my visits I made a few female friends in both Boca Chica and Sosua who i keep in touch with to this day. No I'm not sending money either. They Have given me a much better persoective of themselves and thier situation. And no my spanish is not good enough yet. If it was i wouldnt have to look like antonio as I was blessed at birth with GAME my friend ;-)

MrCT2DR

Sep 12, 2013
Agreed. Your chances of meeting a "normal" girl genuinely interested in hooking up with a gringo for two weeks are not great, especially if you're not fluent in Spanish.

Also, just because you're staying in Puerto Plata doesn't mean you're limited to the area. Frankly, everywhere from Cabrera to the east through Santiago in the interior should be considered as "local."

Have fun!

I agree. I won't be stuck and planted in just Puerto Plata. It is a matter of just knowing what is close can prove very valuable. One of the best nights I ever had (in DR or anywhere) was in Santiago. Hanging at the momument and at karoke night in a little bar/club just down below the monument.