Paying monthly Claro cellular bill from abroad

rms171

Jun 28, 2013
Claro will let me pay for my fianc?'s cell phone with a Dominican bank issues credit card, something I do not have. In the US we have the ability to buy a prepaid credit card which can be used as long as money is on the card (you can reload it). Does this concept exist in la RD such that I can acquire a card issued in the name of a DR national bank (from where?) and fund it from the US through online transfers? Trying to avoid buying a prepaid phone as the cost is very expensive.

Any thoughts and possibilities are much appreciated such as a Banco Popular account in the US?

Thanks,

RMS

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Yes. It is called "Tarjeta de credito prepagada". I know Banco Leon offers this, but maybe other banks do too.

rms171

Jun 28, 2013
Can a non-resident go to the bank and purchase one or only a citizen? In the US it doesn't matter as you can buy prepaid cards in the pharmacy or supermarket. Thanks.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Can a non-resident go to the bank and purchase one or only a citizen? In the US it doesn't matter as you can buy prepaid cards in the pharmacy or supermarket. Thanks.

Last time I checked, there was no problem. In fact it was the only CC non-residents could be offered.

rms171

Jun 28, 2013
Probably not something I can set up easily state side even online. I will be in la RD in three weeks and will probably have to go to a Claro store to take care of this.

Suggestion on where to pick up a prepaid credit card in Puerto Plata? La Sirena?

Thanks, rms

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I guess is not problem if you go to the Claro Office with your ID and Credit Card so they will register in their system and you will be able to make payments by phone or internet. That is the process for Dominican to pay with credit cards, if is not registered and validate for the bank they do not acept online payment or over the phone. So I think its doesnt matter if the credit card is for a local bank or international bank.

An the other option is Prepaid credit card from Banco Leon.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Claro will let me pay for my fianc?'s cell phone with a Dominican bank issues credit card, something I do not have. In the US we have the ability to buy a prepaid credit card which can be used as long as money is on the card (you can reload it). Does this concept exist in la RD such that I can acquire a card issued in the name of a DR national bank (from where?) and fund it from the US through online transfers? Trying to avoid buying a prepaid phone as the cost is very expensive.

Any thoughts and possibilities are much appreciated such as a Banco Popular account in the US?

Thanks,

RMS

Going through same hassle now. We have been out of country for 3 months so obviously owe a ton. Only option is to wait till we get back and pay it all and hope they turn it all back on quickly.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Open a bank account with Popular and apply for internet bankinbg. You can then pay any bills from anywhere in the world. Only exception I have found in Santiago is Edenorte and Corassan.

RGM

Jun 5, 2010
You can buy minutes in the U.S.A. using Aryty prepaid recharge...using a credit card

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Banco Leon charges RD$300 for the Banco Leon debit or prepaid credit card. You could deposit on that card and go using it as you need.