DR vs. Panama Vs. Colombia

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Hi folks. I will be taking a month to panama and colombia. I am interested in hearing how folks compare and contrast these countries. I have read threads here before, but can't seem to search correctly on this forum. The problem is me, not the forum. Anyway, I know about the clean potable water and reliable electricity. I will be in panama city for extended weekends on either end of a month in colombia. based in Cali with trips around the country.

Some long time posters have elephant-like memories and are always pulling up old posts. If anyone remembers an informative one, please repost or PM.

Thanks

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
I am interested in hearing how folks compare and contrast these countries.
I don't compare or contrast them because these countries are different on so many levels. Even within countries there are variances from one city to the next. I appreciate each for what it has to offer me personally, rather than think about one when I'm in another.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
And the chica comparison between DR and Colombia is being discussed at tedious length in another thread!

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
Comparing DR to Panama and Colombia is like comparing rotten tomatoes to normal tomatoes. DR can be compared to Haiti, Zimbabwe or Papua New Guinea. The only exception is that hospitals and doctors are better in DR than in Panama.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
Cars are cheaper than here
used cars in Panama are NOT cheaper than in DR, if compare the same make/year/condition. But you can import used car from US without restrictions (in DR you can't import something older than 5 years).

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
based in Cali with trips around the country
I have lived in Cali. Try to live in the Oeste part of the city. The best (but the most expensive) hi-rise neighborhood is barrio Normandia. If you like small houses, the best part is San Fernando.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
I just bought and paid for a 2002 Geo Tracker there for a step daughter for $1950, and i paid over $5000 for my 1999 here 2 years ago.
I just sold 2 door hard top Tracker in perfect condition in DR for $2300, so what? :) it was priced to sell because I don't need it, I have some big SUVs and I had no place to park that small one. By the way, I bought 2002 Chevrolet trailblazer in DR for $5500 with leather interior in very good condition, I paid another $1000 for parts from RockAuto and Ebay to fix it to perfect (normal American) condition. In Panama I paid $7000 for the same model, same year Trailblazer, and it was more than $1500 for parts to fix it (no labor included, because I fix cars myself).
In fact, the same year same model in Panama usually has the same sh#tty condition like in DR or worse. So you can compare prices to Ebay, but not the condition.

I don't know about Renault and other low–end european cars, but used American cars, especially the big ones, are more expensive in Panama than in DR. And if you want to buy Tahoe, Navigator or Suburban, there are only few of them in Panama City.

I know about high prices in Costa Rica, but we were not talking about Costa Rica. By the way, Tracker is one of the most popular cars in Costa Rica because they are very economic, so that's another reason why they are so expensive there.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
The only thing more expensive in Panama than in the DR is real estate, food and everything else is quite a bit cheaper.
I disagree.

Regarding real estate: just compare prices of apartments in towers in San Francisco or Punta Paitilla in Panama to prices for the same class apartments in Naco or Piantini. Prices are the same, but buildings in Panama are much better, and it's Panama, not Santo Domingo the Sh#thole. Yes, apartments in oceanfront towers on av. Balboa or houses in Clayton are more expensive, but it's another class of real estate that don't exist in DR at all.

Regarding food... I don't know particular prices on bread, milk, etc., but if I go to La Sirena or Nacional in Santo Domingo and buy a full cart of food and other things that I need for one week, it costs 200 dollars more or less. In Panama in Riba Smith it costs 300 dollars for the same, and in Publix in Florida it can be 400 dollars.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
I disagree.

Regarding real estate: just compare prices of apartments in towers in San Francisco or Punta Paitilla in Panama to prices for the same class apartments in Naco or Piantini. Prices are the same, but buildings in Panama are much better, and it's Panama, not Santo Domingo the Sh#thole. Yes, apartments in oceanfront towers on av. Balboa or houses in Clayton are more expensive, but it's another class of real estate that don't exist in DR at all.

Regarding food... I don't know particular prices on bread, milk, etc., but if I go to La Sirena or Nacional in Santo Domingo and buy a full cart of food and other things that I need for one week, it costs 200 dollars more or less. In Panama in Riba Smith it costs 300 dollars for the same, and in Publix in Florida it can be 400 dollars.

Riba Smith is expensive I do agree with you there and more so the one in Mega Centro, hope my compadre doesn't read this because he's one the Smiths' ;) , but you get the same products in Super 99 and Rey for a lot cheaper.
I still say that in Panama I get more for a dollar than in the DR.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
but you get the same products in Super 99 and Rey for a lot cheaper.
I don't like what I see in Super 99 and Rey, but I like Riba Smith. It's the same like I do not like food in Walmart in US, but I like Publix in Florida or Whole Foods. In Santo Domingo I like Nacional, Amigo and La Sirena.

If you buy food in Riba Smith, live in Punta Pacifica, go shopping to Multi Plaza and f#ck Colombian girls from Habanos or Veneto, it will be much more expensive to live in Panama than in DR, but you get the quality of living that is not available in DR. Medical services in hospitals like Hospital Punta Pacifica can be 5 times more expensive than in CEDIMAT in Santo Domingo.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
If this doesn't get DR-related soon, and by soon I mean from the next post onward, this thread will either be sent to the "Off-Topic" forum or closed.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Thank you Derfish for this informative reply.

The cost of living in Panama is a lot higher than here. They use the US Dollar and always have, it isn't a new experiment as it is in a couple other Countries in that area. Many Colombians have moved to Panama and send money home just as those do who have moved to the USA. Because they can earn a lot more money there than back in Colombia. Union wage on construction in Panama is now $8.25 an hour. The guys working on a bridge in Munoz last year earned one fifth of that and no time and a half for after 40 hours either. Cars are cheaper than here, but otherwise the cost of living is a lot more.
Der Fish

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Thank you Hernandez.

I had an opportunity to experience top notch Dominican health care at Hospital Plaza de la Salud. My Dominican Colleagues in Boston who are doctors and nurses tell me that plaza de Salud is a flagship hospital with a reputation like Mass General or Cleveland Clinic. I understand from internet and scouring threads on DR1.com That the military health system is quite good too. As a professional I was able to observe many of the same clinical standards but flavored with that indomitable unique Wild West Dominican flair.

Comparing DR to Panama and Colombia is like comparing rotten tomatoes to normal tomatoes. DR can be compared to Haiti, Zimbabwe or Papua New Guinea. The only exception is that hospitals and doctors are better in DR than in Panama.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Gracias Viajero. I agree with your sentiment. Being an autodidact I suffer from ongoing comparison and contrast analysis. I have never been part of an online community before. Since finding DR1 I have come to rely on members of this forum. Since you all are well travelled I am interested in hearing the authentic reports from members who can inform my travels. And as usual, I am finding folks generous in their responses.

Thanks again

...and he inches closer to 500 posts...

I don't compare or contrast them because these countries are different on so many levels. Even within countries there are variances from one city to the next. I appreciate each for what it has to offer me personally, rather than think about one when I'm in another.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
In Cali I'll be staying with a friend and family who once lived in the US. They own a high end furniture store kind of like Roche Bobois or Mitchell Gold. It will be interesting to be the relatively poor Gringo. That is a contrast from my experience in DR!

I have lived in Cali. Try to live in the Oeste part of the city. The best (but the most expensive) hi-rise neighborhood is barrio Normandia. If you like small houses, the best part is San Fernando.